Self-Teaching Animation/Modeling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Self-Teaching Animation/Modeling

Hello everyone,

I wanted to know if it was possible to become proficient in the field of animation or modeling by studying the learning paths offered on a site like Digital Tutors? They do seem to have a lot of information of their website, but I'm debating with myself if I should supplement the Digital Tutors subscription with something else. Does anyone else have any positive experiences teaching themselves with Digital Tutors or Gnomon? Is learning through an online site like Digital Tutors enough to possibly land a job later down the line? Should I be investing my time into other resources instead?

Sorry about all the questions :P

06 June 2013
to be a professional in a competitive environment u need to move ur skills to the next level by joining an art shcool to make ur own career .

06 June 2013
It's possible I'm so-called self-taught animator.

There's loads of resources you can get to learn animation.

I suggest checking out Richard Williamses stuff.

06 June 2013
I'd recommend Digital Tutors to a beginner, and Gnomon to someone with more experience. I'd also strongly recommend taking some online courses from CGSociety or the like; you can learn a whole lot from self-teaching, but I think it is really important to at least occasionally touch base with a teacher.

06 June 2013
How does watching tons of tutorials and taking courses online qualify as being self-taught?

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by malcolmvexxed: How does watching tons of tutorials and taking courses online qualify as being self-taught?

Not entirely sure, but I do that whenever I need to learn something.

06 June 2013
A good way to go about this is to primarily teach yourself, but complement it with education on the side.

For example, teach yourself how to use Photoshop, but take art classes as well.

Currently working on...HCR #42

06 June 2013
You can learn on your own, but it's still incredibly useful to have someone to ask when you're up against a weird problem that you can't figure out. That's why it's good to take classes if you have the opportunity, as long as it's from a professional.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by ThreeDeeMacGee: Not entirely sure, but I do that whenever I need to learn something.

Same here. I'm fortunate to live in a community where a lot of my friends attend the local CG/media college. So as well as video tuts, I can ask questions of them. Also one evening each week we go to a different friends house and play with their CG software for a few hours over a few drinks and munchies. I have to admit that's a huge help for me.

06 June 2013
I'm self taught with regards to 3d CG but if I had my time again I'd prob go the acedemic route. It can be really time consuming trying to figure stuff out on yiur own but there are some knowledgable people here and some great tutorials out there.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by MisterS: I'm self taught with regards to 3d CG but if I had my time again I'd prob go the acedemic route. It can be really time consuming trying to figure stuff out on yiur own but there are some knowledgable people here and some great tutorials out there.

Aye, being in the right environment and with others who share the interest helps a great deal.

Currently working on...HCR #42

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by malcolmvexxed: How does watching tons of tutorials and taking courses online qualify as being self-taught?

Very good point. Back when I started, I mean Amiga, early SGI, Alias and Wavefront were still two separate companies, nobody knew what this stuff was. There were no schools. There certainly weren't any websites to teach this stuff. Self taught meant you got the programs and played around with them until you made something.

Granted, once I started working in studios, I learned a lot more a lot faster being around several professionals day in and day out. I think it today's Youtube world, anyone can be pretty much "self taught" and reach a considerable level of skill.

Supposedly the guy who made that Rosa short film is entirely self taught.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

06 June 2013
I take self-taught to mean you make all the decisions regarding what you choose to focus on and learn without an instructor around to offer feedback and answer your specific questions as they come up. So if you choose to focus on animation and find an animation tutorial then you are taking a self-learning route. Same if you take up painting and get a book on the subject.

Digital Tutors helped me tremendously to get based the basic stuff
as well as looking around forums and asking questions.
And Gnomon for advanced things.

Learning without any tutorial help could lead to a substantial waste of time and avoidable mistakes as a complicated software program isnt like fiddling around with pencil and paper or a block of clay. So many buttons and menus and specific functions.

06 June 2013
Digital Tutors, 3Dmotive oraz Eat3D videos seems to be a good start. Personally, I just started my adventure with CG too and for now they are good for me, but i got like tons of questions and problems. Just hope that this forum will be a Saviour for me.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by Prinn: I wanted to know if it was possible to become proficient in the field of animation or modeling by studying the learning paths offered on a site like Digital Tutors?

You can study all these paths. The question is: Will you walk on these paths?

Thread Closed share thread