Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
FIREFALL Trailers: Live Action VS Animated

OK, so STAGE 5 showed their live action teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwnswcLOskw

I suppose it's... "Just OK".

But I couldn't help feeling that FIREFALL's promos looked much more punchy in animation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhiJtotZNWk

Better colors, better lighting that shows characters' faces and features with more volume than they appear in the live action version...

And yes.. I'm including motion in that mix. The FIREFALL characters all MOVE better in animation than they do as real people in my view.

I guess something is lost in translation.. or there's some artistic deviation.

Also that mohawked "Observer" doesn't stand up with the others in design language to me.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #2
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

live action video game commercials are just the worst.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
Zerflag
Dedicated

portfolio
Enoch Ihde
R&D Guy
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via AIM to Zerflag
i'm partial to the cg trailer too....

Old 06-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

I enjoy the live action stuff, although I think that the new digital cameras have a way of making everything look way too clean.
Even dirt looks like clean dirt. They need to really bugger stuff up even more to make it look 'real'.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

The live action trailers are cheesy as hell - and are even more disconnected from the actual game design than the pre-rendered cinematics are.
At least with pre-rens you can visually up-rez the game's geometry, etc so they at least look related.

And for the casting of real actors?!...that stupid mohawk wig has not connected me to the game!

Ironically I've worked of both types of promotions.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

I'd like to think that this isn't a problem with the Live Action medium.... but it does tell me that some things might be better done with computers and hyper-reality/stylization than with live elements.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
malcolmvexxed
World's largest midget

portfolio
Stephen Broome Broome
Freelance illustrator and web designer
San Diego, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to malcolmvexxed
I liked both for different reasons, the animated one is legitimately higher quality but the cheesy live action one worked for me in an over the top sort of way.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

It's funny, the first season of the Spartacus TV show was so heavily post-processed and had so many greenscreen backgrounds, it almost looked like it was completely CG. Maybe this thing would work better if it was handled like that, too.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh
It's funny, the first season of the Spartacus TV show was so heavily post-processed and had so many greenscreen backgrounds, it almost looked like it was completely CG. Maybe this thing would work better if it was handled like that, too.

And then you get the question: "Why'd they bother with live action if they were going to do so much of it in animation?"

Because to wit... sometimes I get the opposite question.... because generally when people think you're not doing "singing animals among the flowers" show they think it should be live action.

You talk about guns, and suits, and laboratories and things.. and people think it should be a live action film... I think the FIREFALL live action comparison is proof that sometimes your Use of the Medium matters regardless of subjects of the story.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:05 AM   #10
malcolmvexxed
World's largest midget

portfolio
Stephen Broome Broome
Freelance illustrator and web designer
San Diego, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to malcolmvexxed
I still maintain my wish that if a certain percentage of a movie is animation it should be categorized as such for awards shows. 300 is a perfect example. Sin City, etc.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #11
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmvexxed
I still maintain my wish that if a certain percentage of a movie is animation it should be categorized as such for awards shows. 300 is a perfect example. Sin City, etc.

Well already there is some "blurring" going on there.. AVATAR.. and also how Pixar films got nominated for Best Picture outright.

But what I'm talking about more is how people tend to compartmentalize the medium prior to application.

"Oh... you have a lot of human characters in it.. why don't you just do it real people?"

I just roll my eyes at that suggestion. But I guess it's less prevalent for those of us who watch a lot Japanese animation which is... for all purposes... Japan's live action substitute.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread