Beware the Batman Preview

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #16
And any Batman, is better than no Batman... arguably... (please, no one throw the Batman & Robin film in my face, thats the one instance where no Batman is better than any Batman)

I'm so glad I don't have any access to Cartoon Network otherwise I'd just watch cartoons and animated shows all day.

I understand what people's objections to the visual look is, but I think it looks ok. I think that, with anything, there comes a point where you have to take a drastic direction change to an existing ip otherwise, you're just making a reboot of a reboot.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Old 07 July 2013   #17
That is pretty much one of the worst character designs I have ever seen in my life. Batman looks like some alien.

Old 07 July 2013   #18
I declare a ban on the use of fractals. Fight scene looked fun, car scenes looked horrible.

Old 07 July 2013   #19
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: That is pretty much one of the worst character designs I have ever seen in my life. Batman looks like some alien.

It really is. Batman is supposed to be foreboding and terrifying. He looks odd and bug-ish. I'm all for taking design risks but this is plain ugly.

I thought cg tv shows were looking better and better, this seems to be quite a step back.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 07 July 2013   #20
Originally Posted by shrunkendesigner: And any Batman, is better than no Batman... arguably... (please, no one throw the Batman & Robin film in my face, thats the one instance where no Batman is better than any Batman)

"This is why Superman works alone." lol

Oh I'm sorry.. did that hurt? lol

No no.... when it looks this bad? Better to have no Batman for 15 years.

Old 07 July 2013   #21
So... is this thread a preview of "Beware the Batman"
or
a "Beware the Batman Preview"?

Old 07 July 2013   #22
Originally Posted by pipdixel: I declare a ban on the use of fractals. Fight scene looked fun, car scenes looked horrible.

Nah, the fight scene was also pretty poor, I felt its animation to be choppy.

Also, where exactly were the fractals in the car chase scene exactly?

Old 07 July 2013   #23
It was silly of me to say that it looks ok on a CG forum... a forum not only filled with CG Fanboy snobbery, but discussing a subject that falls under the Comic Fanboy snobbery umbrella too. Of course NONE of you was going to like this. Even if they were producing a photo realistic CG version of the Batman where everything looked amazing, I'm sure someone would pop up and say "I don't like it, thats not the Batman I grew up with..."

People who wanted a dark Batman film, got 2 Tim Burton films and complained. People who wanted something more like the 60s Batman got it twice, and complained. We then got 3 earnest attempts with Chris Nolan, and people complained. People complained when the 90s animated series was released too.

This particular animated outing isn't aimed at you. Its aimed at your children. They won't care that Batman looks buggish. They won't care about the stylised CG. They'll just love that its Batman, kicking some ass and putting thugs behind bars.

This is why I say, this Batman, is better than no Batman. If I had children right now, and they wanted to watch this, I'd let them. I'd also let them watch "Batman, the Brave and Bold" and "Batman of the Future." None of those are perfect, but who cares?

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Old 07 July 2013   #24
Wow.
It would appear that the CG Fanboys and Comic Fanboys aren't the only angry ones.

Old 07 July 2013   #25
That is because Batman is my friend I don't like people slagging him off.

*Addition to make me sound less crazy:

I'm a Batman Fanboy. I like all Batman outings... even... Batman & Robin...

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Last edited by shrunkendesigner : 07 July 2013 at 05:09 PM.

Old 07 July 2013   #26
Originally Posted by shrunkendesigner: It was silly of me to say that it looks ok on a CG forum... a forum not only filled with CG Fanboy snobbery, but discussing a subject that falls under the Comic Fanboy snobbery umbrella too. Of course NONE of you was going to like this. Even if they were producing a photo realistic CG version of the Batman where everything looked amazing, I'm sure someone would pop up and say "I don't like it, thats not the Batman I grew up with..."

People who wanted a dark Batman film, got 2 Tim Burton films and complained. People who wanted something more like the 60s Batman got it twice, and complained. We then got 3 earnest attempts with Chris Nolan, and people complained. People complained when the 90s animated series was released too.

This particular animated outing isn't aimed at you. Its aimed at your children. They won't care that Batman looks buggish. They won't care about the stylised CG. They'll just love that its Batman, kicking some ass and putting thugs behind bars.

This is why I say, this Batman, is better than no Batman. If I had children right now, and they wanted to watch this, I'd let them. I'd also let them watch "Batman, the Brave and Bold" and "Batman of the Future." None of those are perfect, but who cares?

-I myself have kids.
-I myself at this moment am working on some kids animation for tv.
Maybe we will be an exception-but its looking way better than that Batman 'thing'.
There is 'stylization' and there is 'not so great design choices'. Or even rushed/unfinished choices. This Batman is the latter.
-And oh yes and I am not a Batman (comic) fanboy. I am a CG fanboy (I guess). There are limitations and then there are not so smart compromises (because they stand out).

I ask again 'what' the hell will Bruce Wayne look like?!

Old 07 July 2013   #27
I like the stylization but the work still looks unfinished. The 'look' is not important as long as it works. A lot of posters here agree the clip looks like previz. No one is slagging off Batty, we all love him but the clip itself needs some love as a product. The character has nothing to do with the work.

You are right though someone will always dislike anything. Discussing a piece helps us to develop. Maybe kids will love it, I dunno but that isnt what we are talking about. I am guessing Roberto put this up for discussion.

Old 07 July 2013   #28
I think I look like the worst fan boy in the room with what, and how, I've been talking...

But, I've looked again, and I still think it looks ok. Unlike many here, I am not a 3D guy so I look at this in a much more forgiving, maybe naive, way and even if this is pre-vis, fine, in my opinion, I would rather they try something new stylistically than return to visual formats already done.

Kanga is right, the look isn't important, as long as it works. The whole series could have the 'unfinished look' but still tell a compelling version of the dark knight that would make it worth watching.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Old 07 July 2013   #29
Originally Posted by shrunkendesigner: I think I look like the worst fan boy in the room with what, and how, I've been talking...

But, I've looked again, and I still think it looks ok. Unlike many here, I am not a 3D guy so I look at this in a much more forgiving, maybe naive, way and even if this is pre-vis, fine, in my opinion, I would rather they try something new stylistically than return to visual formats already done.

Kanga is right, the look isn't important, as long as it works. The whole series could have the 'unfinished look' but still tell a compelling version of the dark knight that would make it worth watching.

Hey, I liked Batman Beyond..and the Art Deco Batman Animated Series... just putting that out there.

I can see where you're coming from... but even if you like all things Batman, you can't accept both the "red-glasses" Mr. Freeze from the Animated show, and that Refrigerator Chrome Mr. Freeze from Batman & Robin who needs diamonds to fire his ice beam.

I think fans need to more selective than that.

In my case, my criticism of this show is not because of some kind of "3D High and Mighty" thing... It's that I felt the Art Deco themed animated shows had a "depth" to them that ironically is missing when they use this medium where depth should be emphasized.

Because it looks "flat".

My complaint basically is because it feels like a step backwards against even similar looking Batman theme. My favorite style though is obviously the Nolan films and the Arkham games, but sure... Batman doesn't have to look like that.. but what I was saying is you want the long shadows, the 2 or 3 level shading... and geometrically.... quite a bit to disagree with.

Not saying I have no tolerance whatsoever.. I did like Batman Beyond... who doesn't look a lot like Batman before, neither did I have a problem with the very stylistic "The Batman" show with the very boyish Bruce Wayne and the Dreadlocked Joker.

Old 08 August 2013   #30
Finally saw some of these episodes, I don't really dig the show at all.
Bringing in all these weird characters, I guess it's fine, but then having a younger Alfred...and this girl going to be Robin in the future I'm sure of it, especially when I first saw her red and yellow bike she was riding on.
Meh, maybe I just like the older 'The Animated Series' more.

I feel like everything could have been done better, animation of it feels choppy and the movement of the vehicles themselves is a joke. It was almost like someone said, "Don't worry about it, kids will be watching this."

And Magpie, wow! Risqué! If we're doing that, might as well bring out some Adam Hughes' Catwoman with some huge jugs too.

Thread Closed share thread