Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-23-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
ebbandflow
Veteran
portfolio
USA

CRACKED Articles on FX Work

I sure some of these articles aren't new or if people are aware of them but they're pretty funny and entertaining. Whether or not they're 100% true or accurate I'm not sure as I don't know where they get their source but you should check them out:

7 Special Effects The Stars Want to Keep Secret

7 Amazing Movie Special Effects You won't Believe Aren't CGI

Continued: 6 Mind Blowing Special Effects you won't Believe aren't CGI

And my favorite:

The 7 Most Common CGI-Screw Ups Explained

And in a category related to the FX industry:

5 Classic Movies that Ruined their Makers Careers

The 5 Miserable VFX Jobs that Make Movies Possible

Anyway, if anyone has any input or comments on what you think about the articles that would be great. I'm just wondering what people's opinions are on them or if some of them are wrong or not.

Last edited by ebbandflow : 06-23-2013 at 01:07 AM. Reason: correcting a link

Old 06-23-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
malcolmvexxed
World's largest midget

portfolio
Stephen Broome Broome
Freelance illustrator and web designer
San Diego, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to malcolmvexxed
I feel cracked's articles would be strong if they didn't feel the need to make every single one into a top____ list as this illustrates.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
ebbandflow
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Yea I've noticed that. It does get old that just about every article they have has a list of 5, 6, or 7 things that _________. Still, the articles are engrossing.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I don't know why I missed the 7 common cgi screw ups, having read the others.

But that Talbot death, whoa.....

reading about it again, and thinking, maybe it was intentional? (just like hulk skin color) and the vfx team just got to toe the line?

i don't know... but... still... whoa....

Old 06-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

The articles on "amazing" effects we won't believe aren't CG didn't impress me. They chose films or directors that are known for not using or even not LIKING CGI. The only one that surprised me was the web slinging in The Amazing Spiderman. Almost makes me want to watch it again.

Also I hate everyone picking on Blade II. It has two bad shots. The rest is some of the best digital double work ever done, still to this day. Far better than Man of Steel, which is on the same level of the bad shots mentioned in the Cracked article.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by teruchan
The only one that surprised me was the web slinging in The Amazing Spiderman. Almost makes me want to watch it again.

The BluRay has a feature on the rigs they used to do the web slinging. Its really pretty cool to see 'behind the scenes' footage of Spiderman actually swinging through cars, running on the sides of trucks, and then leaping off again, all in camera.

I just hope they keep this general idea and dont go all 'floaty camera roller coaster digital' in the new one (although the latest movie did have some of those shots, like the school fight, and the crawling up the building...but they were few enough for them to not stand out too much).

Old 06-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

I haven't read through them all yet, but I'm sure I can't be the only one finding them funny. The sarcastic dry wit of the Christina H author has me smiling all the way through. Without that I would probably have got bored and not read past the first article.

The likes of this from the "CG Screwups" article is just priceless:

"But seeing the problem at its extreme in The Hulk kind of makes you think about how many other movies you might have been blaming the VFX team or "bad CG" in general for when the director or supervisor just happened to be an idiot."

Last edited by Dillster : 06-23-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
ThreeDeeMacGee
Veteran
portfolio
Phil
Dartmouth, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillster
I haven't read through them all yet, but I'm sure I can't be the only one finding them funny. The sarcastic dry wit of the Christina H author has me smiling all the way through. Without that I would probably have got bored and not read past the first article.

I found them a little funny, but not as funny as say, John Cheese. But they were most certainly informative.

That being said, what happened to Ms. H anyways? She hasn't done anything for the site since late 2012.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDeeMacGee
I found them a little funny, but not as funny as say, John Cheese....

That would be a tall order. The King of Fawlty Towers would be hard to topple.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #10
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Dark Knight Rises Airplane Stunt was CGI, Green Screen Miniatures, as well as the 2 day live shoot.

Saying it is "not CGI" in the context it is used here is a gross exaggeration.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:53 AM   #11
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Dark Knight Rises Airplane Stunt was CGI, Green Screen Miniatures, as well as the 2 day live shoot.

As mistakes go, they say the agent jumping from car to car in The Matrix: Reloaded is shot on green screen when it is obviously a very poorly done digital double. (it's the clothes that are the problem. Their doubles mostly look great otherwise)
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
ebbandflow
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan

This is exactly why I posted these links since if they are any mistakes who better to ask then the CG community? As for the Dark Knight Rises plane stunt I saw the movie but I never saw the special features since I don't own it on DVD or Blu-Ray. I know part of the Plane Stunt was completely real but I didn't know how much was or wasn't. I'm not surprised if they exaggerated what they actually did. Still, Nolan did flip an entire semi truck in the Dark Knight so it's hard to tell.

On the article 7 Secrets that's the Stars Don't Want You to Know the Hollow man one had me laughing so hard. Also the Water World Gill fix was hilarious too.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
playmesumch00ns
Lord of the posts

render monkey
pretty picture maker
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by teruchan
Far better than Man of Steel, which is on the same level of the bad shots mentioned in the Cracked article.

Wow that's pretty harsh. There were some dodgy ones sure but there were also plenty of very good ones.

You can have your characters photoreal, fast or cheap. Pick two.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #14
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbandflow
This is exactly why I posted these links since if they are any mistakes who better to ask then the CG community? As for the Dark Knight Rises plane stunt I saw the movie but I never saw the special features since I don't own it on DVD or Blu-Ray. I know part of the Plane Stunt was completely real but I didn't know how much was or wasn't. I'm not surprised if they exaggerated what they actually did. Still, Nolan did flip an entire semi truck in the Dark Knight so it's hard to tell.

I have the trilogy on DVD with Special Features.

For the TDKR Airplane gag:

Live plates involving two actual planes in independent flight from each other were taken first. They take shots of the two planes flying one behind the other, and then both land - perfectly safe and sound.

This is the only part without any trickery involved. Anything else is done with a lot of sleight of hand.

All stunts with "moving actors" is from the 2 day live shoot.

No CG humans at all for the gag. Although there are numerous shots with "dummies hanging from planes".

Setup number one was with a large plane dragging a dummy plane beneath it with actors going down to the dummy plane all suspended on wires.

When necessary, the wires holding the little plane are painted out digitally.
Also when necessary, CGI is used to add the spinning of the prop engine rotor blades on the tiny plane.

Setup number one also has a shot of a pair of dummies being dragged from the larger plane in flight (last shot of the gag).

Setup number two was with a helicopter carrying the dummy "de-winged" vertical fuselage with stunt actors going up and down and a pair of Bane and Dr. Pavel dummies already setup inside and connected to helicopter with special guide rails to ensure they do not snag when the the fuselage is released.

Setup number two contains a stunt with the tail being blown off with pyrotechnics and the fuselage being released with two dummies hugging each other.

Parts with Tom Hardy in the Fuselage and actors falling around in the fuselage when the little plane goes vertical were shot in green screen with a Fuselage set on a gimbal. Actors were supported by wires.

The Blood transfusion gag is done with a dummy that emits red colored water.

The green screen work there is the plane's rear section (as seen from the inside initially), strong white lamps are used when the rear section is gone to blind the audience.

A miniature of the two planes with green screen is used for the wide shot sequence of the actual wings falling off. Once again, the sky and landscape (referenced from the 2 day shoot) will be added in digitally.

CGI is used to replace or enhance the planes in this sequence, including a very short wide shot that shows the little plane tilting. Every old trick is used here - film the miniatures at high frame rate, play at lower frame rate for more "weighted" effect.

Edited together it looks remarkably like it's done for real.

And that's "Movie Magic".

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 06-25-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread