Youtube monetization

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Youtube monetization

Hi,
Is it really possible for a couple of guys to get together and make a 3D short movie and put it on Youtube and earn money.....? I came across Big Buck Bunny, the Blender movie which they've uploaded to YT, and the question struck me. Is anybody here doing it? Can anybody give any pointers as to what kind of money they pay....?

Thanks.

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Hey man,

Its apparently around $2000 USD per million views now. It's really gone down hill the last couple of years. This guy was making $4500 USD per million views early last year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ube-videos.html

-AJ

Old 06 June 2013   #3
If you are a Partner you can make $1.50-$5.00 per 1,000 views on each video is what I've been reading online.

I'd love to hear from someone that has actually gotten a check from youtube, there seems to be a lot of theories on what youtube pays.

Like Corridor Digital?

They have a dubstep vid that has 13million views. Did they actually get a check for more then $13, 000?

Yes I did email Corridor Digital and ask them by the way, but didn't get an answer.

Thanks

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Originally Posted by gauranga108: If you are a Partner you can make $1.50-$5.00 per 1,000 views on each video is what I've been reading online.

I'd love to hear from someone that has actually gotten a check from youtube, there seems to be a lot of theories on what youtube pays.

That's because it is very complicated. I've read of people who only got $80 for a million views.
It does appear that Youtube is the lowest of the low in terms of paying out. If you are looking make loads of money from your videos, you might want to look for another option. Which of course is the problem as there are little or no other options and Youtube know it.

Last edited by Dillster : 06 June 2013 at 10:49 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
I have read, though cannot confirm, that they select a few "stars" and allow them to publicly go to the big time and make some money for marketing purposes. The rest get the shaft.

There is probably a reason why Don Hertzfeld went with Vimeo for monetization.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Originally Posted by teruchan: There is probably a reason why Don Hertzfeld went with Vimeo for monetization.

....sorry? It's possible to make money off of Vimeo as well??!!! How much, please? Is it comparable to Youtube?

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: ....sorry? It's possible to make money off of Vimeo as well??!!! How much, please? Is it comparable to Youtube?

Don Hertzfeld and Vimeo on Demand article

Hertzfeld is pricing his film at $6. I haven't found exact data on what the revenue split is, but I remember it being very generous in favor of the artist. Many are saying that this is the future. It must be remembered though, that artists like Hertzfeld have made a name for themselves with years on the festival circuit and slowly building up a loyal audience of his own. An unknown with an unheard of product will likely have very different results.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Yes, Vimeo-on-Demand seems like a decent road but it wont address the problem of attracting an audience. This takes time, patience and persistence. Staff Picks are good but they can't promote everything, so how do you steer users towards content that you have to pay-to-view?

The only option i can think of is to create work under your name and make yourself a brand, using a free distributor like Vimeo or Youtube and generate "pocket-change" from small projects/series but more importantly branding yourself as a creator. Having a website as a portal for your content, utilizing social media twitter/facebook and being active on community-based website/forums will help drive people to your paid content. With a decent trailer..... it shouldn't be difficult at all, the hard part is making the content, especially one that resonates with an audience. Although if you are consistent/prolific, then sometimes not achieving your greatest isn't a problem. I find people just want content and if it is a steady stream they will allow for "imperfections".

I think i remember reading Vimeo-on-Demand is 90-10 split to the creator, which is very decent. But you need to build a name for yourself before then or find other ways to attract people to your content. I imagine showing a film at a festival and then putting it up on Vimeo for a price would be a solid option, not one for someone starting out though.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
Originally Posted by Phrenzy84: how do you steer users towards content that you have to pay-to-view?

Youtube is not pay-to-view, it has *ads*! Isn't Vimeo the same?

...and by the way, shouldn't Vimeo just state on their website how much they pay etc.....? I just can't be bothered to go to it right now (it's 1 AM! ), but that's what I'd expect, though.....

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: Youtube is not pay-to-view, it has *ads*! Isn't Vimeo the same?

I was referring to Vimeo, not Youtube and no, they are not the same.

Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: ...and by the way, shouldn't Vimeo just state on their website how much they pay etc.....? I just can't be bothered to go to it right now (it's 1 AM! ), but that's what I'd expect, though.....

They do, it is on their front page https://vimeo.com/creatorservices and then https://vimeo.com/creatorservices/ondemand . Creators keep 90% of the revenue after transaction costs.

As i said before, having a platform to distribute your work and drawing people to it are two different problems. Thankfully it looks like the distribution solution from Vimeo looks solid.

Last edited by Phrenzy84 : 06 June 2013 at 08:15 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #11
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: Youtube is not pay-to-view, it has *ads*! Isn't Vimeo the same?

...and by the way, shouldn't Vimeo just state on their website how much they pay etc.....? I just can't be bothered to go to it right now (it's 1 AM! ), but that's what I'd expect, though.....

Youtube has a pay to view area, they specifically brought in a person from Netflix to oversee their PTV area b/c they lose money for google every year and have since purchase.

I manage some clients' youtube/google accounts as part of running their adwords campaigns and let's just say it's not going to replace anybody's day jobs. It's great for promoting something for sale elsewhere though.

Old 06 June 2013   #12
Originally Posted by malcolmvexxed: I manage some clients' youtube/google accounts as part of running their adwords campaigns and let's just say it's not going to replace anybody's day jobs. It's great for promoting something for sale elsewhere though.

Amen, brother. :P

Old 06 June 2013   #13
I am low level YouTube partner (ie: I make a small amount on ads shown on my videos).

It's actually against their TOS to discuss how much you make.

But I can say that I did AdSense on my websites for many years and indeed did receive cheques for this activity. I'm totally white hat and create clean and interesting content, often using strong keywords. I don't click on my ads or use robots to do this; try and inflate my earnings, be tricky; they hate that.

The videos ads are the same except you show banner ads on videos instead of websites. This money is calculated on my Adsense account and would pay out after 100$ in earnings. I am also an advertiser, so would probably just spend it again on clicks anyway so around and around it goes; that's the way that it works.

As far as PAYING someone to set up an account so I could be FEATURED? Hmmmm... pass...It could possibly be interesting for the hosting but seems not quite right (for me anyway).

Just try and create something cool, if you do the $ will follow (perhaps..) is my suggestion.

Old 06 June 2013   #14
The only way to make YouTube profit sharing even remotely profitable is to have a large audience and release frequent videos. You need to be consistently getting 100,000 views on a weekly video before it would really start paying off.

A single film on YouTube is not going to net you anything if you release it for free. Either use the Vimeo feature mentions with a small fee ($5 is about right, usually) or release the film in some sort of "fremium" plan where you offer the film for free but at a lower quality, but if someone pays they get HD... or something like that.

Old 06 June 2013   #15
Quote: It's actually against their TOS to discuss how much you make.

Ah I thought so. It's been such a struggle to find out how much people actually make on YouTube.

Thread Closed share thread