HOPA games scene making for my studio,simple question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
HOPA games scene making for my studio,simple question

So i got a job to do a full scene in 3ds max for my studio that makes hidden object games and the director asked me to model it,do the lighting and textures but he asked me to "paint it" in i think he meant photoshop cause he was talking about it.He says our players like this kind of coloring.So my question is whats the actual name of what he's asking me so i can find tutorials on it? ill include some pictures of scenes from their games

thanks a lot in advance!

http://i.imgur.com/GcGZpjn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Nlp16co.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/W5FAE1t.jpg

Old 06 June 2013   #2
He's either after a particular mood, or you're about to book a trip to Disneyland and take a lot of photos from their tunnel-based fun rides.

My personal guess is he's after moody colored lighting... But that's just a guess.

"Paint it" should not count as a complete set of instructions.
It's just two words.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: "Paint it" should not count as a complete set of instructions.
It's just two words.

I agree completely,from my understanding he asked me to paint models of the scene in 3ds max and give it that feeling of painted ambient rather than just materials and textures,do you happen to know what this process is called?

Old 06 June 2013   #4
He means lots of paintovers in Photoshop.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: He's either after a particular mood, or you're about to book a trip to Disneyland and take a lot of photos from their tunnel-based fun rides.

My personal guess is he's after moody colored lighting... But that's just a guess.

"Paint it" should not count as a complete set of instructions.
It's just two words.

Sounds like he is requesting a style. When I am unsure if I am expressing my vision correctly to our creatives, I am sure to give them plenty of reference. I usually convey a bit more than 2 words.

In my past roles as a production creative, I would give directors with vague directions literally what they asked for, especially if they came across as a arrogant or insulting (not recommended unless you have no fear of losing your job). It used to really piss them off, but got the message across. It still happens occasionally in my group when someone bypasses me and makes a request from one the people in my studio. My creatives will translate a request literally and to their own interpretation, versus the usual subjective expressions used by people every day.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
I figured what they want from me..its called overpaint so that the colors look extremely hand colored like while the models in the scene are realistic.I guess now i have to find some tutorials on how can i do that..

Old 06 June 2013   #7
I dont really think there are many tutorials on that specifically, but if you search through some of the Matte Painting sites, you should get some good tips on photographic integration.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Originally Posted by XLNT-3d: Sounds like he is requesting a style....

Yes that's possible. That high saturated look seems to be popular. If I were the one at the working end, I would probably ask the director to be more specific so I didn't waste time doing the job differently to the way he wanted.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread