3d app in browser

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
3d app in browser

The next iWorks apps will be in a browser platform. It got me wondering if there are any 3d apps that work in a browser?

Thanks

Old 06 June 2013   #2
http://tamats.com/apps/webglstudio3...scenes/Lee.json

http://threejs.org/editor/

http://idflood.github.io/ThreeNodes...e/collada1.json

Last edited by hvanderwegen : 06 June 2013 at 04:19 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #3

Wow! That WebGl studio is sharp! I've only got a $40 GPU, and I'm running a Maya render right now with my CPU at 100%, but still it works like a charm.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Can anyone use these to develop there own browser based 3d app?

I really appreciate these links, but I don't really know how we can use these.

Thanks

Old 06 June 2013   #5
For a moment, I thought you were talking about 3D games in a browser, but I see that you mean 3D digital content creation app in a browser.

A recent Autodesk aquisition, Tinkercad (https://tinkercad.com/) fits that description.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
This is the only one that I'd heard of, till I read this thread:

www.3dtin.com .

It comes from India, and so is obviously pretty cool!

Old 06 June 2013   #7
http://home.lagoa.com/

for the rendering side.....

portfolio - www.shaidacher.com
Vimeo - vimeo.com/deroesi

game project - moldgame.wordpress.com

WIPs - theremoteguy.tumblr.com

Old 06 June 2013   #8
http://www.3dtin.com

looks very cool.

Now my next question (which is an ignorant question I'll admit, so please bare with my noobnees in this field).

How would I learn how to create my own webGL 3d app?

My idea is to just have an app for character animation no need for modeling, rigging or rendering. Basically having a simple app for character animation with a character animation UI that my international students could use online in there browser without having to install anything like 3dtin does.

Kinda like creating my own game with webGL but the game is a function character animation app, does that make sense?

One idea I've been exploring is importing rigs into Unity and then publishing a Unity driven game on the iPad or better a browser.

Yes I could just use Blender cause it's free and ready to go and might be the best solution, but I like to think way the hell out of the box first to see what's out there.

Any and all comments welcome and needed. I'm trying to get my head around current options.

thanks for all the post so far, really helpful!

Old 06 June 2013   #9
Originally Posted by gauranga108: http://www.3dtin.com

looks very cool.

Now my next question (which is an ignorant question I'll admit, so please bare with my noobnees in this field).

How would I learn how to create my own webGL 3d app?

(...)

Are you a programmer? Specifically, do you have any experience with 3D graphics programming? If not, trying to write even a "simple" WebGL application is probably biting off more than you can chew.

However, I'm not trying to discourage you and if you're still interested in doing it then I suggest you first learn some JavaScript and then take this free, introductory course in Interactive 3D Graphics over at Udacity (the instructor is Eric Haines who co-wrote the book "Real-Time Rendering" and currently works at Autodesk - the course will teach you the fundamentals of 3D graphics and WebGL, I'm halfway through the course myself and it's pretty good).

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Originally Posted by fuss: Are you a programmer? Specifically, do you have any experience with 3D graphics programming? If not, trying to write even a "simple" WebGL application is probably biting off more than you can chew.

However, I'm not trying to discourage you and if you're still interested in doing it then I suggest you first learn some JavaScript and then take this free, introductory course in Interactive 3D Graphics over at Udacity (the instructor is Eric Haines who co-wrote the book "Real-Time Rendering" and currently works at Autodesk - the course will teach you the fundamentals of 3D graphics and WebGL, I'm halfway through the course myself and it's pretty good).

I have built some small plug-ins for Maya and nuke that's about the extent of my programming experience.

I will check out the information in your post More thoroughly thanks for your time.

Old 06 June 2013   #11
Yes, you will need to learn Javascript - personally I bought quite a few JS books and I've been enjoying myself with them, but then I've been a programming buff from quite a young age. O'reilly's books are the best - currently I'm on javascript: The Definitive Guide, which I've been reading for the past 6 months or so, and is uphill going.

For gfx programming, Google for Michael Abrash's Graphics Programming Blackbook - I LOVED that book, but it's quite old, beware, and deals with DOS programming (which is obsolete), and you'll have to know C and Assembly - not easy for a total beginner.

You just have to understand that 3D programming will require a lot of study which you CAN'T do in a very short time - you'll need to work a lot.
One thing you should know about is the demoscene - people who just make "wow" productions for the fun of it, for sport. Go to www.pouet.net for the main site for this (where you can d/l some demos as well).

For WebGL, there is learningwebgl.com - check it out

Old 06 June 2013   #12
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: Yes, you will need to learn Javascript - personally I bought quite a few JS books and I've been enjoying myself with them, but then I've been a programming buff from quite a young age. O'reilly's books are the best - currently I'm on javascript: The Definitive Guide, which I've been reading for the past 6 months or so, and is uphill going.

For gfx programming, Google for Michael Abrash's Graphics Programming Blackbook - I LOVED that book, but it's quite old, beware, and deals with DOS programming (which is obsolete), and you'll have to know C and Assembly - not easy for a total beginner.

You just have to understand that 3D programming will require a lot of study which you CAN'T do in a very short time - you'll need to work a lot.
One thing you should know about is the demoscene - people who just make "wow" productions for the fun of it, for sport. Go to www.pouet.net for the main site for this (where you can d/l some demos as well).

For WebGL, there is learningwebgl.com - check it out

Thanks a lot for your time I will look into all that info as well.

Old 06 June 2013   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread