Secure video hosting for workshop?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Secure video hosting for workshop?

Hey guys
Here's the deal. I'm preparing to start an online workshop and I need a secure video hosting to publish lectures.
Ideally it should have password protection and per-user watermarks. Animation Mentor has a great system, I need something similar. Can't find anything like that though.

Maybe there's some payed service everyone uses which I don't know about?)

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Per user watermarks would require a rather expensive computational contribution, you'd have to run on Amazon's cloud or Google's or equivalent services.
Unless you plan on going big enough to carry your own development for it you probably want to look elsewhere.

Vimeo, if you are willing to inflict streaming only on your students, actually offers very good options. CGS' workshops rely on it for the video part and I don't know of the recent, streaming only options having been cracked often, if at all.

They are also cheap, reliable, and well liked in general, plus they offer the option (and the API to do it) to wrap their streams in customized players.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Thanks! I thought that watermarks on that level aint easy.

I'm more worried about people recording the screen.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
If they can see it or hear it, they can record it. Nothing you do will prevent your videos from ending up of file sharing sites. As for watermarks, all it takes is one guy to join with a fake name, throwaway email address and a temporary disposable credit card and your watermark will just be pointing at a ghost.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Yes, but I don't wonna make it too easy for them. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
If they can see it or hear it, they can record it. Nothing you do will prevent your videos from ending up of file sharing sites. As for watermarks, all it takes is one guy to join with a fake name, throwaway email address and a temporary disposable credit card and your watermark will just be pointing at a ghost.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexYaremchuk
Thanks! I thought that watermarks on that level aint easy.

I'm more worried about people recording the screen.

It's not hard, it's actually quite easy, it's just expensive to run serverside.

Watermarking in a safe way requires a per-client encoding and pairing before anything can be streamed (streamed overlay watermarks done client side can be removed very easily), and encoding is CPU intensive, which means rental services (ala amazon or google) will become more expensive.

If you'll only have a handful of hours of videos and a limited number of students you can just set up some batch jobs and encode the watermark yourself, you can probably do one or two a day on a 5 years old 920 for a considerable number of hours. But doing it safely server-side you'll have to pay for the equivalent CPU power to some service that needs to make money off those cycles

Old 06 June 2013   #7
I believe Cmivfx does server side watermarking. However, they have had rampant problems with piracy just like Gnomon and Digital Tutors. Unfortunately, there are people out there who view stealing videos as a challenge and this is just another challenge for them.

imashination hit the nail on the head, if they can see it or hear it they can steal it. Whether it's doing a bad quality screen cap or a straight source rip, it will get out eventually.

A quick Google search brought up this bureau, which may be along the lines of what you are looking for.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexYaremchuk
Yes, but I don't wonna make it too easy for them. ^^

But do you want to make it slower, more expensive and annoying for your customers whilst giving yourself more work?

I can nip onto the pirate bay and find any video from any creator, watermarked or not, DRM'd or not. It doesnt stop anyone for a moment.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
It is impossible to protect your workshops. Some of your buyers can record it and put on forums very easily.

Believe it or not, there is forums on the internet, where you can find easy workshops/courses that cost thousands of dollars. By people who trying to get more people, to contribute and make GB ( group buy) and take a course. There is courses from ZbrushWorkshops, CGS, Digital Tutors, CMivfx, Ianimate, AnimationMentor and many more.

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Agreed! That's what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
It's not hard, it's actually quite easy, it's just expensive to run serverside.

Watermarking in a safe way requires a per-client encoding and pairing before anything can be streamed (streamed overlay watermarks done client side can be removed very easily), and encoding is CPU intensive, which means rental services (ala amazon or google) will become more expensive.

If you'll only have a handful of hours of videos and a limited number of students you can just set up some batch jobs and encode the watermark yourself, you can probably do one or two a day on a 5 years old 920 for a considerable number of hours. But doing it safely server-side you'll have to pay for the equivalent CPU power to some service that needs to make money off those cycles

Old 06 June 2013   #11
Thanks! I've found a couple of similar services too. Going through 'em right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _vine_
I believe Cmivfx does server side watermarking. However, they have had rampant problems with piracy just like Gnomon and Digital Tutors. Unfortunately, there are people out there who view stealing videos as a challenge and this is just another challenge for them.

imashination hit the nail on the head, if they can see it or hear it they can steal it. Whether it's doing a bad quality screen cap or a straight source rip, it will get out eventually.

A quick Google search brought up this bureau, which may be along the lines of what you are looking for.

Old 06 June 2013   #12
Not any I dare say) But yeah, that's a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
But do you want to make it slower, more expensive and annoying for your customers whilst giving yourself more work?

I can nip onto the pirate bay and find any video from any creator, watermarked or not, DRM'd or not. It doesnt stop anyone for a moment.

Old 06 June 2013   #13
I believe there are such places. But there are things that are easier to get then some others. Better to be on the safer side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliot
It is impossible to protect your workshops. Some of your buyers can record it and put on forums very easily.

Believe it or not, there is forums on the internet, where you can find easy workshops/courses that cost thousands of dollars. By people who trying to get more people, to contribute and make GB ( group buy) and take a course. There is courses from ZbrushWorkshops, CGS, Digital Tutors, CMivfx, Ianimate, AnimationMentor and many more.

Old 06 June 2013   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread