What are other ways to learn about cgi other than youtube tutorials?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
What are other ways to learn about cgi other than youtube tutorials?

I am trying to learn many things however youtube videos are hard to follow. Are there any good books or different ways on how to learn things such as rigging, modeling, animation, rendering, ect.? There are many places to get critiques here, but how can I lean an overview on this?

06 June 2013
F1?

Personally I don't enjoy video tutorials. I prefer the written ones - they are MUCH easier to follow, because you cant get left behind, and because they don't necessarily go through EACH and EVERY click, you learn about new features along the way.

There are the gnomon tutorials, which are awesome, there are about 1000 reference books in book stores and available through the online book dealers, there are facebook user groups, subreddits, and forums the equivalent of CGTalk for all disciplines and software choices.

Seriously tho, the entire extent of human knowledge is available at your finger tips. There is training material online that I could never have imagined when I first started out.

06 June 2013
Jarklor, what you need is a new game plan.

Modelling, rigging, animation, rendering, scripting and making a cup of tea are mammoth tasks in themselves - you are better off learning one at a time. We have all been where you have and our skills were not earned over night...especially if you don't drink tea and are treated like a damn glorified tea-boy by the rest of the family!

Anyway, forget everything else and focus on learning the basics of modelling, before moving on to the other stuff. Plan the next six months to this task, and at the end of those six months, you should be at a point where you are confident with the process.

Here is the best way to learn the basics...

1) Get 3D World or 3D Artist each month. Go through any tutorials on modelling they have. They tend to have ones with the beginner in mind...

2) Become a member of a forum for the software you are using(eg, Maya). If you are following a tutorial that isn't using Maya, you can ask "how do I do this in Maya? Where can I locate this command within Maya?".

3) Challenge yourself after a few tutorials: Model your desk, mobile phone, cup of coffee, etc. LOL, first time I got hold of TrueSpace yonks ago, I just picked up a floppy disk sitting on the side and went for it.

...if you follow this advice, you will at least be able to model a vehicle, domestic appliance, spaceship - non-organic stuff. After some time in low-poly land, you can then move onto sculpting and topology(keeping everything in quads, edge flows bla-bla-bla).

Once you can do good topology, then its a good time to consider learning rigging and character animation.

Currently working on...HCR #42

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Boone: Jarklor, what you need is a new game plan.

Modelling, rigging, animation, rendering, scripting and making a cup of tea are mammoth tasks in themselves - you are better off learning one at a time. We have all been where you have and our skills were not earned over night...especially if you don't drink tea and are treated like a damn glorified tea-boy by the rest of the family!

Anyway, forget everything else and focus on learning the basics of modelling, before moving on to the other stuff. Plan the next six months to this task, and at the end of those six months, you should be at a point where you are confident with the process.

Here is the best way to learn the basics...

1) Get 3D World or 3D Artist each month. Go through any tutorials on modelling they have. They tend to have ones with the beginner in mind...

2) Become a member of a forum for the software you are using(eg, Maya). If you are following a tutorial that isn't using Maya, you can ask "how do I do this in Maya? Where can I locate this command within Maya?".

3) Challenge yourself after a few tutorials: Model your desk, mobile phone, cup of coffee, etc. LOL, first time I got hold of TrueSpace yonks ago, I just picked up a floppy disk sitting on the side and went for it.

...if you follow this advice, you will at least be able to model a vehicle, domestic appliance, spaceship - non-organic stuff. After some time in low-poly land, you can then move onto sculpting and topology(keeping everything in quads, edge flows bla-bla-bla).

Once you can do good topology, then its a good time to consider learning rigging and character animation.

I'll need to learn a lot for january. That's when the next big art competition is in my district. I did a short film last year in 8th grade, but it was made at a basic level.

06 June 2013
Are you able to show us this film you have made? It would give us a better idea of where you are at and how we can best advise you...

Doesn't matter if you used sock puppets in a home made fan film of Cloverfield - just show us.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Boone: Are you able to show us this film you have made? It would give us a better idea of where you are at and how we can best advise you...

Doesn't matter if you used sock puppets in a home made fan film of Cloverfield - just show us.

It's not as good as you think it is. Here it is: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=02-yN7uBegA

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Jarklor: It's not as good as you think it is. Here it is: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=02-yN7uBegA

Okay you're not as bad as I thought you were. This film at least shows you have the motivation to put your software to good use, and although animation was minimal, you do love to use the camera!

What I recommend you do, and what will impress us, is if you remake this film but this time with better models. Let us start with...hmmm...the factory.

Create a WIP thread called "Factory for environmental short film", in the WIP section of CGtalk, and gather a collection of photos of factories. If you can, try to google for a blueprint plan of a factory. This is where the modelling process starts by gathering reference photos. I recommend using photobucket for the updates and renders you will be shortly producing...

On your harddrive, set up a folder called "Modelling projects" and then inside create another folder called "Factory". In this folder, create the following folders...

Complete model
Model parts
Reference photos
updates

...and then put a link to your WIP thread here, and then we can start work on your improved version of this film.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Boone: Okay you're not as bad as I thought you were. This film at least shows you have the motivation to put your software to good use, and although animation was minimal, you do love to use the camera!

What I recommend you do, and what will impress us, is if you remake this film but this time with better models. Let us start with...hmmm...the factory.

Create a WIP thread called "Factory for environmental short film", in the WIP section of CGtalk, and gather a collection of photos of factories. If you can, try to google for a blueprint plan of a factory. This is where the modelling process starts by gathering reference photos. I recommend using photobucket for the updates and renders you will be shortly producing...

On your harddrive, set up a folder called "Modelling projects" and then inside create another folder called "Factory". In this folder, create the following folders...

Complete model
Model parts
Reference photos
updates

...and then put a link to your WIP thread here, and then we can start work on your improved version of this film.

You sugested that I should go through tutorials. But where do I start?

06 June 2013
cgtalk's various subforums often have sticky threads full of some of the best tutorials. Visit each subforum of the General Techniques section and you'll see them. And don't forget that CGSociety also has the CGWorkshops.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Lunatique: cgtalk's various subforums often have sticky threads full of some of the best tutorials. Visit each subforum of the General Techniques section and you'll see them. And don't forget that CGSociety also has the CGWorkshops.

Would a site like this help with inorder tutorials and such? http://www.digitaltutors.com/subjec...eling-tutorials

06 June 2013
Yes.
However, save your buks and dig through the tutorials that ship with your program first. When done you may skip the introduction tutorials on DT.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by scrimski: Yes.
However, save your buks and dig through the tutorials that ship with your program first. When done you may skip the introduction tutorials on DT.

I never got any tutorials with my program and what is DT?

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Jarklor: I never got any tutorials with my program and what is DT?

Which program are you using?

DT=Digital Tutors

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Jarklor: You sugested that I should go through tutorials. But where do I start?

Well, as an ex-Maya user myself, I was offering to walk you through a project and help you learn the basics, so that you can then have enough confidence to tackle projects on your own.

But never mind. Listen, get a book on Maya and go through it properly. When I first started learning Maya, I did so with this book...

http://www.amazon.com/Visual-QuickS...l/dp/0201771381

...but sadly, there isn't a more recent edition of the book that goes past Maya 8. It was slim and made learning much easier. Such a shame. However, I suppose you can't go wrong with this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Introducing-A...1/ref=pd_sim_b_

...just focus on learning the interface and modelling sections to start with. Do 30 minutes of this book every day and you'll get through it.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by scrimski: Which program are you using?

DT=Digital Tutors

I'm using maya. I remember a long time ago when I read trough a digital guide on it.

Thread Closed share thread