I keep getting this one question in interviews. Not sure how to answer.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #16
I understand how you feel, my advice is, take one day at a time and enjoy your life. Oh, life isn't fair so don't wait for it to be fair.

Do whatever needed, save money, go on with your life.

I used to have a big dream too. However, life sometimes throw you a curve ball.

If you have to do other jobs to get yourself a good pc and software, please do so.

And uuh, don't take life too seriously, it's not like you are going out alive.

I mean, we live in s strange times. On one side I read the problem of gigantic study loan. On the other hand, ever since people realize that NSA whistleblower is a high school dropout, there is an article saying that 50% of IT person don't even have a degree. Probably after school they just take certification and focus on it (like getting Oracle to do DBA job) and just forget about the rest (multimedia and what not).

Have fun!

Old 06 June 2013   #17
Originally Posted by AJ1: I don't think there's any harm in registering with them, but its just nothing to get excited about.
Yeah, my excitement died when I hadn't heard from them for a week after my meeting.
Originally Posted by Meloncov: or maybe you could sign up for a community college class to get access to their labs?

Originally Posted by Tama: How about starting by getting an affordably priced used computer that will allow you to do some creating?
I really wish I was exaggerating when I talk about how tight money is at the moment. Believe me I've thought about these things already but at the immediate moment they can't happen. And its not as if CG jobs are the only things i'm applying too. I knew what I was getting into when I made the move to the city, I knew how it could potentially be.

Originally Posted by Leigh: I know it can feel like you're making excuses, and that's never a good position to be in, but if you can keep it short and sweet then you'll avoid that. A person interviewing you doesn't want to hear about how you slept on your friend's floor or anything like that, but you can still explain, in a concise manner, that due to your circumstances, you've been unable to really do much work in the past few months.
I know I made it sound bad in my first post, but when asked the question I just say "for various reason i've been unable to get access to *instert whatever here*". I don't give them the whole story or try to make it a sad one.

Originally Posted by Tama: Don't be looking for sympathy because if that is what you are looking for you can find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis as the old saying goes.

Originally Posted by conborn: Saying you don't have a PC so can't make any work is a pathetic excuse for someone with a university degree and is even worse than the above!

Originally Posted by fable fox: I understand how you feel, my advice is, take one day at a time and enjoy your life. Oh, life isn't fair so don't wait for it to be fair.

Do whatever needed, save money, go on with your life.
Why did everyone suddenly feel the need to give me "angry aggressive" life advice? I wasn't asking for life advice or looking for sympathy.

Old 06 June 2013   #18
Originally Posted by fablefox:
And uuh, don't take life too seriously, it's not like you are going out alive.

I dunno, I kind of like this advice.

Old 06 June 2013   #19
Have you looked at becoming at TD?
It's a more in demand job, and as long as you're not an FX TD, you really don't need a beefy computer (my mac's almost as old as yours and still is fine for basic animation and a lot of TD stuff)

If you can learn some python and start making tools, it's a really great way to get a gig, both inside and outside the industry. That will atleast get you some cash in flow so you can start to focus on the areas you are more interested in.

It's also a great skill to have anyway when you do get into that ideal role.

Other than that, it's really mostly about luck. Keep yourself informed and your ear to the ground. Go to as many industry events as you can and strike up a conversation or friendship with someone at these studios.

Also, even if your computer is old, do not let that hold you back. Some amazing artists work on terrible systems. It's about perservering and finding the time to really hone your skills. Like I said, my Mac is almsot as old as yours and I can still work on it.
Don't let the fact that your computer is underpowered become an excuse, even if it isn't a conscious excuse.

Old 06 June 2013   #20
Originally Posted by Killer_Lettuce:
Why did everyone suddenly feel the need to give me "angry aggressive" life advice? I wasn't asking for life advice or looking for sympathy.

This is a good reason why.

Originally Posted by Killer_Lettuce:
Then slept on the floor of a friends bedroom for 3 months where I wasn't able to do much of anything.

Instead of spilling every personal info, you could just condense into "due to economic circumstances, I couldn't do 3d work for a few month, and employers keep asking me this question..."

At least that why I give you my advice. There is this thing called 'leading'. Ask a lawyer. Or police interrogator. If you want to know about 3d question, you focus on 3d question, no need to talk about no money for pc or sleeping on the floor and what not. Unless, you subconsciously, is seeking sympathy.

That is my answer.

Old 06 June 2013   #21
double post due to refresh perhaps...

Last edited by fablefox : 06 June 2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: double post

Old 06 June 2013   #22
You could try "sponsoring" , where you ask friends and family to sponsor you into buying a new computer. Basically it's a loan but with friends. Make sure you set clear goals with sponsoring, so people know what they can expect and when. Than you have an investment and commitment made you have to work for.

An extra benefit is that you learn to sell yourself better.

Because the biggest bottleneck for you when I read your story is that you cannot create anything new or improve your skillset.

Old 06 June 2013   #23
Originally Posted by NorthernDoubt: I dunno, I kind of like this advice.

Thanks. I got it from 9gag. There is a picture of an old man playing skateboard.

Old 06 June 2013   #24
Reconsider what you have been doing!

Your answer (and, apparently, as you see yourself):

“I bummed around with friends for a few months, and now I’m stuck in my own place, impoverished without a decent computer, so I loiter on the sidewalk and sing Otis Redding’s “Sittin’ On the Dock of the Bay.”

If you managed to figure out how to post to this forum, that CAN’T be all you have been doing! As I learned once about writing a newsletter, “Students never attend a lecture!” (at least, not in a well-written newsletter). Huh? That’s right! Students “cram into a lecture,” “energetically participate in a lecture,” or, at the very least “eagerly listen to a lecture,” but they never just “attend” (yawn, toss the newsletter into the trash) a lecture. Surely (and this is from your own description) you have “taken some time to refocus your career,” “been considering what areas of graphics you want to dedicate yourself to,” etc. Come up with your own, but don’t be grandiose or so absurd that the interviewer wonders if you are living in reality.

Last edited by Learn_w_Grafix : 06 June 2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: (Sorry--didn't realize text would stay dark!)

Old 06 June 2013   #25
Quote: Why did everyone suddenly feel the need to give me "angry aggressive" life advice? I wasn't asking for life advice or looking for sympathy.

Leave the advice then. You have no sympathy from me so don't worry.

Quote: This got kinda long, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this interview question or what I should do? And getting a loan is out of the question

Do some work?

Last edited by conbom : 06 June 2013 at 10:51 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #26
Originally Posted by Killer_Lettuce: This got kinda long, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this interview question or what I should do? And getting a loan is out of the question

You can't really give them a proper answer at the moment, so what you need to do is address that straight away - get a sketchbook and draw stuff. Fill it with whatever you like drawing - life drawing, landscapes, robots, spaceships, cartoon characters, stuff off the TV - everything/anything. Once it's full, start another one. Set yourself a target - "I will draw for two hours every day". Show that whilst you might not have been able to get hold of digital resources, your mind has been active, creative. I came out of college into a recession, no money, no computer, living at home with my folks in the middle of the countryside. When I got my first gig as a CG artist the guy who hired me told me later "it was your sketchbook that got you the job". I've never looked back.

Old 06 June 2013   #27
Originally Posted by dneg: You can't really give them a proper answer at the moment, so what you need to do is address that straight away - get a sketchbook and draw stuff. Fill it with whatever you like drawing - life drawing, landscapes, robots, spaceships, cartoon characters, stuff off the TV - everything/anything. Once it's full, start another one. Set yourself a target - "I will draw for two hours every day". Show that whilst you might not have been able to get hold of digital resources, your mind has been active, creative. I came out of college into a recession, no money, no computer, living at home with my folks in the middle of the countryside. When I got my first gig as a CG artist the guy who hired me told me later "it was your sketchbook that got you the job". I've never looked back.

Exactly. Asides from carefully crafting your message during interviews, it always pays to have ANY new output.

Any.

Drawings, Blender models, Blender animations, pottery, etc.

Old 06 June 2013   #28
Originally Posted by dneg: get a sketchbook and draw stuff. Fill it with whatever you like drawing
Been doing that. I've found it depends on who i'm talking to whether or not they care to see my drawings or not. Just how it is. And before anyone jumps in that wasn't some sort of subtle hint for advice or sympathy

Old 06 June 2013   #29
Originally Posted by Killer_Lettuce: Been doing that. I've found it depends on who i'm talking to whether or not they care to see my drawings or not. Just how it is. And before anyone jumps in that wasn't some sort of subtle hint for advice or sympathy

you should really consider talking to your local library about installing blender on one of their public computers.

Old 06 June 2013   #30
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread