Why are you only good when using industry approved software

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #16
I really don't think pros aren't using it because of it's UI - though most people generally don't like it.

Studios have a lot already invested in tools, rigs, and other assets for their software of choice. Switching software is just out of the question for most places.

It honestly would be interesting if someone would start a large Blender-centered studio - I mean you could use the software cost savings to hire more employees right?

I'm just not sure there'd be as huge of a pool of talented artists to hire from since most pros opt to learn software they know for a fact is used everywhere in production. It's a little bit of a risky move for a pro to ditch their current software, letting that knowledge get rusty and switch to an app no one else uses.

freelancers can do whatever they want of course.

Old 06 June 2013   #17
Originally Posted by simple3d: So, like Leigh, you have a bias toward Blender too.

Again, why don't you answer the question: WHY is blender less powerful than Maya? Why is it less powerful than 3DS Max?

You need to learn to communicate better.
Nobody is showing a bias against blender, people are taking issue with your attitude and form, and you are unlikely to get pertinent answers to those questions as long as you keep going like this.

If you present yourself so confrontational and narrow sighted, expect most people to react accordingly with a similar attitude.

Put some plaster on that chip on your shoulder and start producing and showing work. App VS App threads here are prohibited for very good reasons, and you are explicitly instigating that line of discussion purely to stoke some odd feeling of resentment. It's not quite how things work around here, sorry.

Old 06 June 2013   #18
Thank you for such a detailed answer.

How is blender's renderer not all that great? I have seen many photo-realistic images. Because you can't figure out the interface, does that mean the renderer stinks?

Originally Posted by ThreeDeeMacGee: True, Blender does have limitations (for one, I can't quite figure out cycles and the BI renderer isn't all that great outside of cartoonish renders). But having a three thousand dollar computer doesn't mean jack all if you can't use either it, any software (or both) properly.

Old 06 June 2013   #19
Thank you. I learned a lot from your post.

Originally Posted by Boone: A myth, for the truth is that the software is considered bad, not the artists for using it.

But in fairness, its also a myth that the software is bad - its just hard to get past its interface to give it a fair chance. Having studied Interaction Design, I can sympathise with those who install Blender, give it a try, and give up with in 10 minutes because they keep hitting brick walls with the interface. With a package like Maya...it does allow some exploration of its interface, whereas Blender requires some instruction before running off and exploring. Once you can deal with its interface, though, its surprisingly powerful. This is the primary reason its not used as much as other software in professional work - pros do not have the time to adjust to Blender's radically different interface. So when you hear people calling Blender "crap" then its most likely because they haven't got past that first ten minutes...take it with a pinch of salt and don't get so upset about it.

Old 06 June 2013   #20
Originally Posted by simple3d: So, like Leigh, you have a bias toward Blender too.

Again, why don't you answer the question: WHY is blender less powerful than Maya? Why is it less powerful than 3DS Max?

I won't speak for imashination, but I will answer your question: Maya is more powerful in rigging and animation, whilst Max is superior in modelling tools.

But on both accounts, Blender is solid in both areas.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 06 June 2013   #21
First, most people answered my question. Second, most people have shown their bias in this thread, and you are clearly unable to see the forest from the tree.

Third, I want to thank you for letting me post this thread. I know apps vs. apps posts are lame. I know I was intentionally sarcastic, but obviously people on this thread are not going to admit they are biased, and being a little sarcastic seemed to work. People clearly showed there negative views of Blender 3D.

Finally, I wil not post another negative thread. I am really glad you give people the benefit of the doubt and didn't ban this thread before it began.

Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: You need to learn to communicate better.
Nobody is showing a bias against blender, people are taking issue with your attitude and form, and you are unlikely to get pertinent answers to those questions as long as you keep going like this.

If you present yourself so confrontational and narrow sighted, expect most people to react accordingly with a similar attitude.

Put some plaster on that chip on your shoulder and start producing and showing work. App VS App threads here are prohibited for very good reasons, and you are explicitly instigating that line of discussion purely to stoke some odd feeling of resentment. It's not quite how things work around here, sorry.

Old 06 June 2013   #22
Thanks boon for the direct answer. That makes a lot of sense, but I was wondering about renders, not the tools one have over the other.

If I get started using Blender, and love it, am I going to be limited by the quality of rendering as others on this thread suggest?

Originally Posted by Boone: I won't speak for imashination, but I will answer your question: Maya is more powerful in rigging and animation, whilst Max is superior in modelling tools.

But on both accounts, Blender is solid in both areas.

Old 06 June 2013   #23
One very good reason why companies wont use Blender over X software is the lack of professional support.

b

Old 06 June 2013   #24
I just wanted to note one thing here: I work at a seven-person studio. We're the tiniest of the tiny, but even for us, the price of Maya is negligible compared to the costs of payroll and health insurance for our employees. Switching to Blender would make essentially no difference at all to our finances.

Originally Posted by sentry66:
It honestly would be interesting if someone would start a large Blender-centered studio - I mean you could use the software cost savings to hire more employees right?

Old 06 June 2013   #25
Originally Posted by simple3d: Thank you. I learned a lot from your post.

You're welcome.

As a member of the BlenderArtist community...may I ask that you "ease up a bit" as THE_Jaco suggested in a previous reply? We've been trying to get a more friendly atmosphere to the overall community and many Blender users are now pulling together to make this happen...

I would also like to invite you, if you haven't already, to join us on the BA forum. There's a lot going down with Blender at the moment, and it would be a shame for such a passionate person such as yourself to miss out. In either case, I go by the name of SamusDrake.

Look forward to seeing you over there.

Old 06 June 2013   #26
Originally Posted by simple3d: First, most people answered my question. Second, most people have shown their bias in this thread, and you are clearly unable to see the forest from the tree.

Third, I want to thank you for letting me post this thread. I know apps vs. apps posts are lame. I know I was intentionally sarcastic, but obviously people on this thread are not going to admit they are biased, and being a little sarcastic seemed to work. People clearly showed there negative views of Blender 3D.

Finally, I wil not post another negative thread. I am really glad you give people the benefit of the doubt and didn't ban this thread before it began.

Okay, let's get a few facts straight:

1. No one's being biased towards Blender. Hell, there's people out there who like it. You just think we're biased because we've been replying to your questions. It's you who said it, not us.

2. While it still won't look good for your reputation. I do commend the fact that you've apologized. Just please don't do it again.

3. In regards to my previous post. I said nothing about having problems with BI, I just think it can't do photo real renders the same way as Cycles can. I haven't gotten along with that layout because I've been all to familiar with BI's controls.

4. You misspelled "will".

Old 06 June 2013   #27
Totally true. I am not saying companies should change because Blender is free. Like many people have already said, Maya and company are standards, and there are lots of scripts and other tools used for workflow.

I just wonder why most people consider the renderer in Blender to be inferior to Max/Maya? Also isn't Maya not really used for rendering? It is more an amazing model/animation tool - correct?

Originally Posted by rafanzovin: I just wanted to note one thing here: I work at a seven-person studio. We're the tiniest of the tiny, but even for us, the price of Maya is negligible compared to the costs of payroll and health insurance for our employees. Switching to Blender would make essentially no difference at all to our finances.

Old 06 June 2013   #28
Originally Posted by simple3d: Thanks boon for the direct answer. That makes a lot of sense, but I was wondering about renders, not the tools one have over the other.

If I get started using Blender, and love it, am I going to be limited by the quality of rendering as others on this thread suggest?

I will assume - because you are asking this question - that you are new to this 3D stuff. If so, then the short answer is no; Blender's rendering capabilities are solid, especially for a beginner. If you must have the best bang-for-your-buck then Lightwave is your best bet for rendering.

Old 06 June 2013   #29
Originally Posted by rafanzovin: I just wanted to note one thing here: I work at a seven-person studio. We're the tiniest of the tiny, but even for us, the price of Maya is negligible compared to the costs of payroll and health insurance for our employees. Switching to Blender would make essentially no difference at all to our finances.

oh I know the cost savings wouldn't be huge, that's why I said it "would be interesting if someone would start a large Blender-centered studio"

Old 06 June 2013   #30
Thank you. I will do.

Originally Posted by Boone: You're welcome.

As a member of the BlenderArtist community...may I ask that you "ease up a bit" as THE_Jaco suggested in a previous reply? We've been trying to get a more friendly atmosphere to the overall community and many Blender users are now pulling together to make this happen...

I would also like to invite you, if you haven't already, to join us on the BA forum. There's a lot going down with Blender at the moment, and it would be a shame for such a passionate person such as yourself to miss out. In either case, I go by the name of SamusDrake.

Look forward to seeing you over there.

Thread Closed share thread