Why are you only good when using industry approved software

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Why are you only good when using industry approved software

I noticed on here and other professional CG related forums that anyone who uses Blender is considered a bad artist.

I know your industry only uses $3K software and above. I know you guys work hard to compete for the few $5 hour, 14 hour work days. I know you guys are brainwashed in considering anything your corporate masters give you is the best.

What I don't understand is why everyone considers Blender, and the people who use it for art lesser artists.

Now, because Blender is free, I understand there is going to be a lot of people who are not very good, but what about the best of the best of the in the Blender community?

So I ask these questions to the pros:

1. Are the renders in Blender always going to be inferior because the program has limitations compared to your $3K+ software?

2. If not, are people who use Blender simply inferior?

3. In a full-blown animation, would the average public notice the difference in quality?

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Originally Posted by simple3d: I know your industry only uses $3K software and above. I know you guys work hard to compete for the few $5 hour, 14 hour work days. I know you guys are brainwashed in considering anything your corporate masters give you is the best.

I don't think anyone particularly cares about software the way you think they do. I do think, however, that a lot of people have a problem with Blender users as many of them have an annoying propensity for trolling web forums and posting arrogant, assumptive, clueless and frankly rude garbage like this, alongside their pointless software proselytising and self-made trampled underdog complexes.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Originally Posted by simple3d: :

1. Are the renders in Blender always going to be inferior because the program has limitations compared to your $3K+ software?

2. If not, are people who use Blender simply inferior?

3. In a full-blown animation, would the average public notice the difference in quality?

Sounds like someone needs an increase in their allowance.

1 - inferior renders are done by inferior artists. Jurassic Park was done on newly developed technology with computers a modern accountant wouldn't use.

2 - if they are bad artists, then yes. But that has nothing to do with software.

3 - why do you assume that just because blender is used there would be a difference in quality? Seems a little defeatist to me.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Sorry about that.

Sorry. I do agree the post was somewhat sarcastic, and could have been written better. So you already seem to lump Blender users into a stereotype. I find that interesting.

Originally Posted by leigh: I don't think anyone particularly cares about software the way you think they do. I do think, however, that a lot of people have a problem with Blender users as many of them have an annoying propensity for trolling web forums and posting arrogant, assumptive, clueless and frankly rude garbage like this, alongside their pointless software proselytising and self-made trampled underdog complexes.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
So are you saying this stereotype doesn't exist? I am going to assume Maya is 3000 times better.

Originally Posted by Pyke: Sounds like someone needs an increase in their allowance.

1 - inferior renders are done by inferior artists. Jurassic Park was done on newly developed technology with computers a modern accountant wouldn't use.

2 - if they are bad artists, then yes. But that has nothing to do with software.

3 - why do you assume that just because blender is used there would be a difference in quality? Seems a little defeatist to me.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Originally Posted by leigh: I don't think anyone particularly cares about software the way you think they do. I do think, however, that a lot of people have a problem with Blender users as many of them have an annoying propensity for trolling web forums and posting arrogant, assumptive, clueless and frankly rude garbage like this, alongside their pointless software proselytising and self-made trampled underdog complexes.

Oooh, burrrrn.

OP: As far as art for art's sake goes, nobody cares what you use. Images and animations are judged on their own merits, often people dont even list what they used to make it.

As far as getting a job, well when going to work somewhere established, they'll have a piece of software they want you to use, because they have it, its installed, its supported, everyone else is using it and they want the assets in the same format. The last thing anyone wants to deal with is "oh, all of Dave's assets have their textures missing and the UVs are garbage".

As a freelancer, use whatever you like so long as you get the job done. People pick the app they're comfortable with, the app they grew up with, the app they read about, the app they used at uni, the app they see their peers using, the app that gets the job done.

There are more powerful apps than blender, there are easier to use apps than blender, this doesnt leave much reason for many people to use it. 'Free' isn't as much of a draw as you might imagine.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Originally Posted by simple3d: I know your industry only uses $3K software and above. I know you guys work hard to compete for the few $5 hour, 14 hour work days. I know you guys are brainwashed in considering anything your corporate masters give you is the best.

I'm afraid what credibility and pull this post might have had was completely destroyed by this paragraph before you even got to the point.
It's hard to tell why you decided to sound so resentful, whether it's a sour grapes case, or just plain and total lack of a clue, but I think Leigh phrased it well.

It's all in your head.
People here are "judged" based on the quality of their pixels, software matters nothing and there are plenty blender users who participate actively and are well regarded. They are well regarded because they are about the content they produce, and not the tools they produce it with and some silly, perceived political implications of their software choices.

Qualify yourself as a tit, and you will be treated like one. You can then choose to blame it on "softwarism", but it's a delusion.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Originally Posted by simple3d: I noticed on here and other professional CG related forums that anyone who uses Blender is considered a bad artist.

I've not seen that attitude here. Poor art will be called that, regardless of what software was used. Good art will be praised, again regardless of software used.

To be honest, I think your whole post borders on the offensive. I smell troll.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
OP, I'm more than likely going to sound rude. But speaking as a Blender user (and not a very good one either), your thoughts are complete and utter BS.

Originally Posted by simple3d: So I ask these questions to the pros:

True, Blender does have limitations (for one, I can't quite figure out cycles and the BI renderer isn't all that great outside of cartoonish renders). But having a three thousand dollar computer doesn't mean jack all if you can't use either it, any software (or both) properly.

Quote: 2. If not, are people who use Blender simply inferior?

Well I consider myself inferior and since you haven't shown any of your stuff, I'm positive you are too. But I've seen people who've made amazing things in Blender, just like how I've seen crap (on both amateur and professional levels) spat out of 3DS, Maya and other top-tier programs.

Quote: 3. In a full-blown animation, would the average public notice the difference in quality?

In one word: no.

Long answer: Animation requires talent and in order to get talent, you have to practice (emphasis on the word "practice"). No one really cares what program you use (though Maya is a little easier to learn it on).

People care about the final product than the software that made it. If it's good, they'll like it and want more of it. If not, they will mock and belittle it. No matter what the software is and/or if you're working for a major effects company like ILM, Framestore, DNeg, where have you.

The point is, no, there's no major difference either way. Blender has its pros and cons like Maya, 3DS, Lightwave, Cinema 4D or anything else for that matter.

Old 06 June 2013   #10
The "joined-date-to-hostility ratio" is strong with this one. Troll-a-riffic!

Old 06 June 2013   #11
I think blender is great and I'm sure there's lots of great artists who use and even prefer blender.

However in a production studio that has built its pipeline around a core commercial 3D app, the first thing I'd say if I was hiring a really great blender artist is "lets get your maya chops up to speed and get you working ASAP." If you can't be integrated into a studio's pipeline to seamlessly open each other's files or use tools and assets that have been built over the years, what good are you to the studio?

I'm sure Blender is used here and there for misc tasks, but no one really uses blender in a major way in most places. Therefore whenever you put down Blender as your main app on your resume, studios are almost always going to say "eh" because it doesn't fit in with anyone.

The exception of course might be if your portfolio is the most amazing thing ever .....cause then studios will assume you'll be able to learn their 3D app quickly.

Last edited by sentry66 : 06 June 2013 at 11:59 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #12
Originally Posted by simple3d:
I noticed on here and other professional CG related forums that anyone who uses Blender is considered a bad artist.

A myth, for the truth is that the software is considered bad, not the artists for using it.

But in fairness, its also a myth that the software is bad - its just hard to get past its interface to give it a fair chance. Having studied Interaction Design, I can sympathise with those who install Blender, give it a try, and give up with in 10 minutes because they keep hitting brick walls with the interface. With a package like Maya...it does allow some exploration of its interface, whereas Blender requires some instruction before running off and exploring. Once you can deal with its interface, though, its surprisingly powerful. This is the primary reason its not used as much as other software in professional work - pros do not have the time to adjust to Blender's radically different interface. So when you hear people calling Blender "crap" then its most likely because they haven't got past that first ten minutes...take it with a pinch of salt and don't get so upset about it.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 06 June 2013   #13
So, like Leigh, you have a bias toward Blender too.

Again, why don't you answer the question: WHY is blender less powerful than Maya? Why is it less powerful than 3DS Max?

Originally Posted by imashination: There are more powerful apps than blender, there are easier to use apps than blender, this doesnt leave much reason for many people to use it. 'Free' isn't as much of a draw as you might imagine.

This post by simple3d may contain offensive material. Click here to view it.

This post by simple3d may contain offensive material. Click here to view it.

Thread Closed share thread