Career Help!!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Career Help!!

Hey guys!
So I go to Fullsail University, I really like it, I want to be a character animator. I just had a session with my instructor that really opened my eyes on what its like to be an animator. I don't really think I am cut out for it/have the paitence.
I really want to be a part of animation, but maybe not the actual animation itself. What kind of jobs can I do in a studio?.... I really like managment, I am organzied and would love to oversee projects/pipeline. Can I do that without really working IN the pipeline? I am a decent animator, but I realized this may not be for me.

Old 06 June 2013   #2
It sounds like you'd be suited for a role in production. The entry level role for that kind of work is as a co-ordinator, where you help the show's production team co-ordinate with the artists and ensure that things are running according to schedule, facilitating communication between different departments, and that sort of thing. However, if you're a creatively-oriented person, be aware that a production role is purely admin/managerial, with no creative aspect.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Thanks!!
what kind of jobs have a bit of creativity involved? or where I could oversee or watch what they do. I like to see all the creative work happening, would I still get to see some magic if I was a co coordinator?

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Originally Posted by devanieanne: I just had a session with my instructor that really opened my eyes on what its like to be an animator. I don't really think I am cut out for it/have the paitence. .

What was it in particular that made you change your mind?

Old 06 June 2013   #5
When I got into the in more complex animation, I noticed that it is really tedious, and there are so many small changes and movements to be made, the way the body moves, the graph editor is confusing, I learn one thing that applies to this one type of walk, but then it doesn't really apply to this other type of walk. There are not a full set of rules, it's a lot of guidelines that are just bases. I am not paitent enough to do that amount of work.

I KNOW what I want to be done, and I am creative, I just can't execute it myself to a full production level degree.
I am good enough to do some of those animations like the general commercials, but I like the feature film quality animation.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
If you haven't got the stones to master the creative side what makes you think you should have any say in the creative process.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Originally Posted by tofubun: If you haven't got the stones to master the creative side what makes you think you should have any say in the creative process.

Yeah, to have an credibility with the creatives, it's best to have been through the trenches and earned your stripes or bars so to speak. A creative management role is usually an Art Director, then Creative Director. In specific industries it might be a technical director or [insert speciality] Supervisor/Director, for instance an Animation Director, FX Supervisor, etc.

Plus, usually a creative management role in production requires you to be able to mentor and develop junior and mid-level artists as well as provide guidance and leadership when the crap hits the fan and pull everyone through with flying colors as well as be a quick problem solver so the production crew doesn't get bogged down or sit idle. My best leadership moves are based on past fires, failures and success. You can't see an accident waiting to happen if you haven't experienced a few yourself. Knowing how to quickly recover from adversities also comes from constant exposure to the everyday perils of technology and production, as well as understanding how to deal with human nature.

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 06 June 2013 at 03:35 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Originally Posted by devanieanne: Hey guys!
So I go to Fullsail University, I really like it, I want to be a character animator. I just had a session with my instructor that really opened my eyes on what its like to be an animator. I don't really think I am cut out for it/have the paitence.
I really want to be a part of animation, but maybe not the actual animation itself. What kind of jobs can I do in a studio?.... I really like managment, I am organzied and would love to oversee projects/pipeline. Can I do that without really working IN the pipeline? I am a decent animator, but I realized this may not be for me.

What is it that made you want to be, as you say, a part of animation in the first place?

Old 06 June 2013   #9
Yes I do know that being an animation lead/manager I would have to have experience, I thought I had said that in my initial post, I like the creative part though, that is what draws me to the animation. I didn't know if there was a position for a person who wants to oversee the process and keep things in order/organized. Not necessarily diging in and helping on the actual content.

Array:
I saw the making of Shrek when I was younger and was completely drawn to it. I love the whole animation process, movies, commercials, shorts, they move me, they speak to me, I am giddy over them!

I got into it and now that I am in the real tough stuff I realized I don't understand it and I am not feature film level so I wanted to know what other jobs were out there. I don't like the other pipeline jobs either, I chose my discipline in character animation already. But I would like to finish my degree

Many many many college students change their majors over and over, the problem with the school I am at is that its not like 4 year colleges, you can't just change your major, so I took a risk and this didn't work out.

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Quote: Thanks!! what kind of jobs have a bit of creativity involved? or where I could oversee or watch what they do. I like to see all the creative work happening, would I still get to see some magic if I was a co coordinator?

working as a production coordinator will allow you to oversee a lot of the creative decisions being made. You would be able to sit in on dailies and watch the art director make comments on the artists' work. Again, no creativity involved on your part, but you will be as close to the "magic" as any non-artist could be.

So Production Coordinator is probably exactly what you're looking for. Most coordinators i know have a business background but I think an ideal coordinator would have at least some artist background. Therefore, you'd be pretty qualified for this work. Just be organized and nice to people. (In my experience, many runners turn into production coordinators)
Linkedin
"You do modeling? ...but you're too ugly."

Old 06 June 2013   #11
Originally Posted by devanieanne: I got into it and now that I am in the real tough stuff I realized I don't understand it and I am not feature film level so I wanted to know what other jobs were out there. I don't like the other pipeline jobs either, I chose my discipline in character animation already. But I would like to finish my degree.

I think it's worth pointing out that unless you are a very gifted individual you don't become "feature film level" in just a year or two. This stuff takes time and hard work, don't despair if you are not at a professional level after just starting out.

Old 06 June 2013   #12
Originally Posted by devanieanne: I KNOW what I want to be done, and I am creative, I just can't execute it myself to a full production level degree.

Something you may want to consider. You could work in Layout or Previs. These two disciplines emphasize story and production along with sequence design. The level of animation perfection either of these two jobs requires is less than the full on performance an animator has to generate. Don't get me wrong, Previs and Layout require a lot of hard work and you need to animate, but their emphasis is different. Character performance is important (more in previs and layout), but not critical. Emphasis is on the shot and its camera first.. Plus you move at a quicker pace, help construct the big picture, and generally operate at a faster, but simplified pace (animation wise).

Previsualization Society - Founder / Secretary
Independent - Sr. Previs & Layout Supervisor

Last edited by Vizfizz : 06 June 2013 at 04:12 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #13
Originally Posted by devanieanne: I got into it and now that I am in the real tough stuff I realized I don't understand it and I am not feature film level so I wanted to know what other jobs were out there.

Of course you're not at a feature film level, you're still a student. When I was a student my work was pretty crap, but I still ended up working in film VFX because, like everyone, I improved through study and practice.

I think you're being too hard on yourself.

Old 06 June 2013   #14
It's like asking to be a general without being able to hold the gun.

But in industry, it can be done. If you're producer, you don't have to have a clue about art, and you can still interfere (and make their life miserable) with any artist work. That's happening all the time.

You should respect the fact that you have opportunity to learn animation from experienced teachers, and not learn all that yourself in much slower pace. I also think, you're giving up too early, and giving up is not the way for any work you do (even if you wash dishes), because it will affect your self-confidence, and the more you give up, the more lost you'll be, and it will be harder "to find yourself".

I'd say, that you keep learning animation, and you'll see that after a while, new roads will be open for you that might get you more interested then animation (lighting, rendering, directing, modeling, texturing...), and the fact that you also know the animation would just make a plus for you (also, the fact that you can always do that for living, if you haven't other options at that time).

Old 06 June 2013   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread