Industrial Design Software?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Question Industrial Design Software?

I am currently working in the design field (packaging, mostly), and I am also a student at a local art school. I would like to get more into industrial/product design, but I'm not sure which software I should be getting into when it comes to drafting, modeling, etc. I'm assuming Autodesk is where I should start my search, but does anyone know what the industry standard is?

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Alias Studio, Rhino, solidwoks, Catia and Pro-e are all very popular for this task.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
My girlfriend works as an industrial designer and is using Rhino and Solidworks for her 3D work and mainly Illustrator and Sketchbook for 2D.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
That makes sense. Most of the lists I got came up with Rhino and Solidworks. Thanks, guys!

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Another vote for solidworks here.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
SolidWorks is a major player in Industrial Design software. Of course it is a Product Development/Engineering suite, but many in ID use it.

As a student, if your school has SolidWorks, you should be able to get a copy of the SolidWorks Student Design Kit, which is free, but you will need a code from your school. Otherwise you can get a license of the SolidWorks Student edition 2013-2014 from JourneyEd or probably some other academic software distributor. You will want the Student Edition not the SDK if you want to have the rendering package, PhotoView 360 based on Modo rendering. Just remember to purchase a commercial license if you start to use it for commercial work.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
If you do some digging it sounds like Solidworks may be soon-to-be-dead-works. Another to look at is Solidedge which seems to be getting a big push at present.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Soon to be dead works? Where did you hear this? I use it at work every day and its user base is growing. SolidEdge is great but nowhere near as prolific as Solidworks or Inventor.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
I looked into the Solidworks is dead thing and apparently the new VP was talking about some of the upcoming tech they are working on. It seems to me that what he was saying is that the current face of Solidworks is dead as they move into new technologies like the hybrid stuff that SolidEdge is doing. I wouldn't worry about too much. Learning Solidworks is still a good bet in my opinion and any technique you do learn from it including best modeling practices should translate nicely to some of the other parametric modelers.

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Yes, a bit of an ongoing saga with SW. Firstly they were going to some cloud based platform, then that went south, then there was mention of some kind of Catia light. I think it all has to do with them changing the modelling kernel from Parasolid which is a Siemens product. I agree, it cannot hurt to learn SW as most parametric programs follow the same logic so the learning is transferrable.

There is a load of SW and the saga over on Dezignstuff if anyone is interested.
http://www.dezignstuff.com/blog/

Old 06 June 2013   #11
Yup. It's always been about the kernel. I remember using Mechanical Desktop and all the limitations Parasolid had back then! When SW was bought by Dessault I knew they would switch kernels eventually. I honestly thought I would happen faster than this, but apparently it's a huge undertaking. SW makes up 20% of DS's business and has the highest profit margins so I'm sure they're gonna go slow and careful for the next couple of years. I would!

Old 06 June 2013   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread