Art Test

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Art Test

Hi everyone,

I was just offered my first art test and I'm a bit unsure as to what's expected. The company has asked me to model with SubD's that will have smoothing operations applied at render time.

I've only ever modelled using the polygon/smooth workflow. Is this perhaps what they mean? Or would they like everything to be modelled with SubDs.

The only reason I am confused as on my various travels throughout the interwebnet world I've seen tutorials talking about subdivision surfaces whist using the polygon/turbosmooth or polygon/smooth workflow.

Thanks all,

James

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Why don't you just ask them?

Say: Hi, I'm a little unsure about the directions for this test. I typically model in polygons but you're requesting I submit a SubD model for rendering purposes. Does this mean I can model in polys and convert it to SubDs for submission of this test or are you asking me to create the entire model start to finish in SubDs? I can do both but just wanted to clarify before I started. Thank you.

In the jobs I've worked, if I don't understand a direction or a note, my supervisors have always been more than happy to explain it better rather than have me do it wrong or sit there wasting time to figure it out on my own.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
I sent away another message and I'll hopefully get some clarification :( What do most studios use? The poly/smooth/turbosmooth workflow or the true subdivision modelling workflow?

Old 06 June 2013   #4
does anyone ever use those horrible subDivs? I'm pretty sure what is meant, is that your polygon mesh shouldn't turn to mush, when subdivided. The mesh doesn't have to be an actual maya subdiv mesh. . Regular polygons should be fine.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Haha Thanks Jake. They emailed me back and it is the polygonal modelling. I suppose I'd better get on with it

Old 06 June 2013   #6
I think Maya is the only commonly used software that will have this source of confusion. Everything else its just modifying meshes - thats your only choice.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Originally Posted by circusboy: I think Maya is the only commonly used software that will have this source of confusion. Everything else its just modifying meshes - thats your only choice.

And even in Maya they were removed as of version 2014.

When anyone says SubDs these days, they mean poly modeling with smoothing.

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Thanks everyone, that's good to remember. I'm using 2013 just now so It's good to know I won't run across this issue again.

I was also wondering what process is used in terms of texturing? Is it better to set out your UV's before smoothing? I usually find my UV's being destroyed by the smoothing process.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread