E3 Trailers and the future of CG

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #46
Originally Posted by Jules123: Most games on PS4 & XBone will have a PC version (unlike previous gen)

You sure about that? I seem to remember seeing a few trailers and field reports from E3 where they said they are only doing PS4, or only doing consoles with a particular title. I think the reason most games this time around will be on PC is because the majority of games previewed are shooters, particularly FPS, which is where the PC seems to shine.

Unfortunately, I can't stand FPS games, and the type of stuff I like to play, like ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and the upcoming Muramasa seem to only be on consoles. If I am not mistaken, even Metal Gear is just a "might" for going to the PC. I am also guessing that not many Tekken's, DOA's and other games of that genre ended up on PC.

I can imagine many American game developers will give the PC serious consideration, but I tend to mostly play Japanese games, and it seems they do push much in that direction.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 06 June 2013   #47
Originally Posted by Jules123: Might as well stick with the PC if you got one or can afford the new graphics cards.

Advantages:

Most games on PS4 & XBone will have a PC version (unlike previous gen)

PC games cheaper

Run games at 60+ frames per sec, higher resolutions etc.

Multi-screen gaming.

PC versions will be have much better ports due to the new consoles hardware being much closer to PCs.

Of course can use PC as a PC.

PCs upgradeable.

Yeah, I'm sticking with my PC.

Jules

Unless one is specifically looking for the Naughty Dog, Assassin's Creed, and Konami stuff this time around.

Old 06 June 2013   #48
The problem with the new console games is that they will use 5-6GB memory, and spend at least half of that on textures and various frame buffers.

This means you have to have a 64-bit OS and a GFX card with at least 2-3GB memory just to be able to run the games, and that at a reduced visual quality. I'm not so sure if there are enough non-hardcore gamers around to justify the releases; although at least the porting will not require such a big software development effort...

Old 06 June 2013   #49
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Unless one is specifically looking for the Naughty Dog, Assassin's Creed, and Konami stuff this time around.

Damn, spoke too soon.

Well the other reason I'm sticking with a PC is that I've invested in the new Virtuix Omni VR treadmill, have an Oculus Rift already etc. So fully invested in the next stage of gaming.

Jules

Old 06 June 2013   #50
Ubisoft's AC and WD games are still likely to have PC ports, especially the ones with current generation console versions.

The Division is the problematic one because of high hardware requirements and the basically online only gameplay. That game could only work with a large enough multiplayer community as far as I can see.

Old 06 June 2013   #51
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: Ubisoft's AC and WD games are still likely to have PC ports, especially the ones with current generation console versions.

The Division is the problematic one because of high hardware requirements and the basically online only gameplay. That game could only work with a large enough multiplayer community as far as I can see.

Even The Division may eventually see PC ports as hardware moves forward. The PS4 and XBoxOne will be locked in configuration for the next 7 or so years.

But to me it's about the games... And some of the best PS3 ones are just never going to PC and all PS3 stuff (games and the machine) will be the subject of price drops starting this Holiday.

Again. My position is sort of unique. I've only had a Wii and Gamecube for the longest time.

Old 06 June 2013   #52
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Even The Division may eventually see PC ports as hardware moves forward. The PS4 and XBoxOne will be locked in configuration for the next 7 or so years.

But to me it's about the games... And some of the best PS3 ones are just never going to PC and all PS3 stuff (games and the machine) will be the subject of price drops starting this Holiday.

Again. My position is sort of unique. I've only had a Wii and Gamecube for the longest time.

So you have two Gamecubes?

Old 06 June 2013   #53
Originally Posted by malcolmvexxed: So you have two Gamecubes?

When the Wii came in, the Gamecube got boxed and placed in storage.

Its games and controllers were added to the Wii.
The Wii right now mostly entertains the 3 year old nephew.

Old 06 June 2013   #54
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread