E3 Trailers and the future of CG

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: Great - another person asking CG artists to work for free. Yeah, that's a great idea.

I know... might as well just take out your wallet now!

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by kelgy: Speaking of SS
Spielberg foresees 'implosion' of film industry

Original news link

This article is already different than what I read when I clicked this link just an hour ago. Did you change the link or did they edit the article?

Anyway, I totally agree with these legendary filmmakers. I remember Lucas started this conversation when Kong came out with a $200 million budget and didn't have as a big an opening as everyone wajted. The opening is EVERYTHING nowadays. You have to make your billion quick. E.T. Was in theaters for a YEAR and fiur months?! Modern blockbusters can't even get four months, maybe not even four weeks.

I very much like the comment that cable TV is more adventurous that cinema. I like Game of Thrones better than anything I've seen in theaters in many years. It doesn't have a ton of VFX or action. What little is has is amazing, and I think that makes everything so much more awe inspiring. Other shows like Supernatural, season 5, felt like they were on the level of the movies I used to watch. Anyone remember a short lived TV series called Surface?
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Last edited by teruchan : 06 June 2013 at 07:22 PM.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by teruchan: Did you change the link or did they edit the article?

I changed the link to the Hollywood Reporter since it had more information.

06 June 2013
Hollywood Reporter hosted an interesting roundtable earlier :http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=LSRyqxHkmAw

The roundtable roster: DreamWorks Animation - Jeffrey Katzenberg (CEO) Fox Film Entertainment - Jim Gianopulos (CEO) Universal Pictures - Donna Langley (Co Chairman) Paramount - Rob Moore (VC) Liongate Motion Picture Group - Rob Friedman (Co Chairman) Sony Picture Classics - Michael Barker (Co President)

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by teruchan: I very much like the comment that cable TV is more adventurous that cinema. I like Game of Thrones better than anything I've seen in theaters in many years. It doesn't have a ton of VFX or action. What little is has is amazing, and I think that makes everything so much more awe inspiring. Other shows like Supernatural, season 5, felt like they were on the level of the movies I used to watch. Anyone remember a short lived TV series called Surface?

Based on some of the best fantasy novels ever written. Story is king...AGAIN.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by circusboy: Story is king...AGAIN.

And then they go and make Battleship.

Really interesting panel discussion, but they are often talking out of both sides of thier mouths.

06 June 2013
TV used to be more adventurous too.
I remember HBO first got attention for its tv movies like Citizen X.

And regular tv used to make quality tv movies like Duel, the Night Stalker, Dark Night of the Scarecrow, and various big budget mini-series.

Nowadays most of the focus is on series television which is also a franchise.

Even the Sopranos had to leave the door open for the possibility of a continuation with its last episode unlike a movie which can have a definite ending.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by kelgy: TV used to be more adventurous too.

Hmm, can't say I agree with you on this. I think we're in a mini Golden Age of quality tv, at least on cable. Shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men, etc., are some of the best shows ever, on a tv or movie screen. Watching those shows has been a hundred times more entertaining than all the movies I've seen in the last ten years.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: Hmm, can't say I agree with you on this. I think we're in a mini Golden Age of quality tv, at least on cable. Shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men, etc., are some of the best shows ever, on a tv or movie screen. Watching those shows has been a hundred times more entertaining than all the movies I've seen in the last ten years.

Well I prefer "one of" stories to series. Same with books.

Sopranos had some great memorable episodes--a few episodes of that show was more profound than any movie I can think of in ten years but I still prefer a movie with a single story to something stretched out over years.
I have no interest in re-watching favorite episodes.
Not so with movies I like.

06 June 2013
Quote: I very much like the comment that cable TV is more adventurous that cinema. I like Game of Thrones better than anything I've seen in theaters in many years. It doesn't have a ton of VFX or action. What little is has is amazing, and I think that makes everything so much more awe inspiring. Other shows like Supernatural, season 5, felt like they were on the level of the movies I used to watch. Anyone remember a short lived TV series called Surface?

couldn't agree more, those tv shows are good.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by kelgy: Well I prefer "one of" stories to series. Same with books.

Sopranos had some great memorable episodes--a few episodes of that show was more profound than any movie I can think of in ten years but I still prefer a movie with a single story to something stretched out over years.
I have no interest in re-watching favorite episodes.
Not so with movies I like.

If I HAD to have a complaint about TV series it would be this attempt to make shows run forever. Living in Asia, it seems that with series here they say, "This story is going to be 42 episodes." Then they write them all, shoot them all, put it all together, it airs and its done. If a show does very well, those creators, and maybe even some cast members, will go on to do some new totally different show. It is also nice that shows air three or four days per week rather than once per week. There can be downsides to this method as well. One show I watched in Japan was so wildly popular they did a second series, even brought back characters who died!

Some shows I actually WISH could run forever, like Stargate, in all its incarnations, but for most, an ending would be good. I never watched Supernatural past season 5 because I know the creators of the show wrote that season as the end. The original creators meant for it to end, they created something huge and then they moved on to other things. OTHER people are running the show now, and I honestly don't care how good it is, even if it is better, because I prefer it had an ending. Otherwise it could end up like Surface, and so many other great shows that will never have an ending.

06 June 2013
These things don't look real, they just look like great CG. Desert scenes in Lawrence of Arabia still look better than anything being done in CG for desert scenes, and most importantly the actor's performances reflect the feel of being there (or not, as in the case of the Star Wars prequels).

06 June 2013
Why stop at TV?

Online video is more adventurous than any of them. Even the format. Online video can be any number of episodes at any running length of time.

I did get the impression that this year's E3 everything just stepped into "We can make a movie!" land.

Off the top of my head for the guy thinking of a "Best of E3 Trailers"

1) "The Dark Sorcerer" demo from Quantic Dream
2) Watchdogs - THAT trailer.
3) The Last of Us
4) Beyond: Two Souls (Tribeca film festival entry for their cinematics no less).

Personally I kept thinking: "The shows I would make if I had these kinds of resources..."

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 06 June 2013 at 05:04 AM.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by malcolmvexxed: These things don't look real, they just look like great CG.

Pretty much like any movie done in the last decade.

Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: 1) "The Dark Sorcerer" demo from Quantic Dream
2) Watchdogs - THAT trailer.
3) The Last of Us
4) Beyond: Two Souls (Tribeca film festival entry for their cinematics no less).

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
The Order: 1866
Infamous: Second Son
Assassins Creed: Black Flag
Final Fantasy XV
Metal Gear Solid" The Phantom Pain

Should definitely be on that list.

Actually I am more excited by The Order: 1866 than almost any others. It is one of the few truly new and original IPs coming out this year. So far it doesn't seem very derivative of anything we have seen before.

As far as Gameplay goes, Infamous is looking pretty amazing and original. Dark Souls II looks pretty good also, but it is only on PS3 and Xbox 360, so visually it isn't quite up to the others on this list.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by teruchan: I like Game of Thrones better than anything I've seen in theaters in many years. It doesn't have a ton of VFX or action.
Game of Thrones is absolutely bursting with VFX.

Thread Closed share thread