X-38 Sundagger

portfolio
Peter Blight
Concept Artist
Global freelancer
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBowman
Yep, I've put money down on the Star Citizen Kickstarter and again on the Armikrog Kickstarter (go fund it!!) from Doug TenNapel. These are the sort of games I'm interested in buying and supporting devs to make.

I loved the style of Earthworm Jim when it came out. Very cool to see the designer working on a new project. Imagine 3D scanning the whole thing and being able to walk around in a clay world designed around this using the Oculus Rift.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #32
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique
While the graphics are exciting, I would like to see storytelling in games continue to advance like it has recently with The Walking Dead and The Last of Us games. I think now with graphics being so jaw-dropping, the only way forward is with storytelling and gameplay advances.

BTW, to think of The Last of Us as a zombie shooter is kind of unfortunate. All these gaming sites aren't handing out praises like "masterpiece" and "best game of this generation of consoles" if it's "just" a zombie shooter. The premise of any story is not the its heart and soul--it's merely the set up. I'm still early on in the game, but I can tell you the first fifteen minutes (the intro section) had me in tears, and I've NEVER cried during a game before in my life.

When The Road won the Pultizer Prize, a lot of people said some very nasty things--thing like "Guess the Pulitzer judges have never seen or heard of the post-apocalyptic genre before and think it's so innovative." Comments like that completely miss the point of the book. The book isn't "just" another post-apocalyptic story; it's really a story about a father's love for his son, and how that love is conveyed when the world has lost all hope. The post-apocalyptic premise gave it a sense of visceral urgency and stark bleakness, which contrasts against the tenderness of the father's love and the idealistic hope of the child. How McCarthy expressed all that is the reason he won the Pulitzer Prize.

The Last of Us is similar, and in fact, the creators at Naughty Dog cited The Road as a major influence.

As a storyteller yourself, you should understand what I'm getting at. The thematic focus of any story often has little to do with the premise or the genre, and this is especially true of quality stories that transcend genre tropes.

I get what you're saying. From everything I read, it sounds like the story, character development, acting and everything are top notch. Still, from a player's standpoint, I simply have no desire to run around and shoot stuff. I just want something different. That's just me personally, and possibly why I was so drawn in by ICO and Shadow of the Colossus.

I don't doubt the game is great. I guess it is just no matter how good a shooter may be, I simply don't want to play that.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 06-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #33
Calabi
Frequenter

portfolio
Wobbleyou
London, United Kingdom

There is some question as to whether the story telling in the last of us as a game has much merit. I'm not questioning whether the story is good I'm sure its brilliant. But its emulating a movie and thats not really what games are about, they are about the gameplay and the players having unique experiences and being able to create their own stories.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #34
Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

Have you played the game? It sounds like you didn't because there are a lot of interactive elements that would be impossible in the movie, and yet they have a huge effect on how you experience the story.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #35
Calabi
Frequenter

portfolio
Wobbleyou
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh
Have you played the game? It sounds like you didn't because there are a lot of interactive elements that would be impossible in the movie, and yet they have a huge effect on how you experience the story.

No but I've watched some playthroughs on youtube. I'm mostly referencing an article on Eurogamer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...tems-vs-stories

Old 06-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #36
Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

I don't know but I think that article handles Last of Us unjustly, in order to try to make its point stronger, about how large budget games are unimaginative and boring and the small indie games are always better.

There is some truth to that in general, but the example he picked is IMHO wrong, as TLOU uses game systems for a lot of its delivery - an it manages to create greater involvement and stronger emotional response because of it. It also has a more open ended gameplay in which the player has a lot of options on how to manage the limited resources and tough opponents - once again through implementing various systems (like the sonar of some of the infected, the crafting, the stealth/fight/shoot approaches and so on). If it was a movie instead, it would have a very different effect on the audience.

If the comparison was between State of Decay and Uncharted 3, that'd make it more right. But Last of Us is actually quite different from that series.

Besides, video games in the beginning were also quite linear as there weren't enough resources to build open worlds or allow multiple approaches. You basically just had to get through an obstacle course. Which means even Uncharted is pretty close to that and the only difference is that instead of a static screen you get a cinematic between the levels.

So I think in the end that article is more about the author's preferences in video game genres, and less about the issue he originally started to discuss.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #37
Calabi
Frequenter

portfolio
Wobbleyou
London, United Kingdom

Yeah I'm not so sure Last of Us is a good comparison either, even watching on Youtube I can tell its pretty good. The dialogue is excellent and scenes arent just framed in cutscenes. Maybe against something like a Call of Duty single player.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #38
Apoclypse
Expert

The best voice acting and character interactions I've ever seen in a game are in The Last of Us. Regardless of the fact that to some it emulates movies too much to me at least it tries to emulate the best parts of a movie, which is good acting, good story, and great dialogue.

I was so freaked out at the very beginning of the game when you are playing as the little girl, just walking around that empty house had me an my nephew having a fit because of the anticipation of "something" happening. Movies can do that do too, build tension and release, but games do it best. The ability to move freely through the environment and hear all the creaks in the wood you are walking on, looking out the window and not know what is going on, that kind of interactivity heightens the experience ten fold that a passive medium like film just can't emulate.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #39
malcolmvexxed
World's largest midget

portfolio
Stephen Broome Broome
Freelance illustrator and web designer
San Diego, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to malcolmvexxed
Agree completely about the voice acting. Not sure why people don't think video game cut scenes should emulate movies. Also if you haven't played the game there should be almost no commentary on how it is. I'm sorry but you can't offer opinions on entertainment you haven't experienced.

Last edited by malcolmvexxed : 06-23-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #40
DagMX
Frequenter
Dhruv Aditya Govil
New Delhi, India

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with games being like a movie.
Games are a very diverse art form, and I welcome a linear game like the Last of Us as much as I do more open ended ones.

The gameplay in the last of us is still fantastic IMO. While it doesn't affect the story, I still find myself approaching situations in different ways and the game is aptly stressful as you as a gamer try and find the best way from one story point to the next.

It's definitely very linear, but that's the kind of game it is and the important part of this game is the story.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #41
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabi
There is some question as to whether the story telling in the last of us as a game has much merit. I'm not questioning whether the story is good I'm sure its brilliant. But its emulating a movie and thats not really what games are about, they are about the gameplay and the players having unique experiences and being able to create their own stories.

Some of the most beloved games in the history of gaming didn't give you the freedom to create your own stories, or gave you multiple branching stories/endings.

I think there are generally three types in the world of gamers:

The first type cares mostly about gameplay and not much else. Gamers like that can really get into games without an engaging story as long as the gameplay mechanics are fun.

The second type other cares more about emotional resonance, and even if the gameplay is fun, if they don't care about the characters, the world, or feel invested/immersed, they eventually get bored of the game.

The third type cares about both, and their ideal games have engaging stories as well as fun gameplay.

I belong to the third camp. There are games I loved for purely the gameplay (multiplayer games, for example), and games I loved for mainly the stories (such as adventure games), but when a game has both, is when I feel like I'm in heaven.

I'm only five hours into TLOU, so I'll have first finish it before I can really make a final judgment. I'm enjoying it so far, but as of right now, the most memorable part that's happened was during the opening introduction section when I played as a helpless little girl with no combat abilities whatsoever, and a man who could only run and do nothing else. That section blew me away because of the storytelling, the mood, and the masterful direction.

And like Apoclypse said, being able to control the character of the little girl, even though she couldn't really do anything, made a huge difference in how you felt--it made you feel scared, alone, and helpless. Just watching her walking around as the audience would not have felt the same at all.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #42
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh
I don't know but I think that article handles Last of Us unjustly, in order to try to make its point stronger, about how large budget games are unimaginative and boring and the small indie games are always better.

They should try playing "No Brake Valet" on Ouya... then they'll see if "small indie games are always better".

With regards to "The Last Of Us"... that means it's in the same vein as "After Earth" and Spielberg's "War of the Worlds"?

I think that's okay. Actually The Road, After Earth, and War of the Worlds all have their dials at different settings.

More action in The Last Of Us is inevitable anyway.. even Telltale's "The Walking Dead" is more action packed than most of their usual work.

It's how conflict is projected in video game land.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #43
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread