The Dark Sorcerer - Quantic Dream's PS4 techdemo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #16
Originally Posted by teruchan: This was the case for me, especially from a technology standpoint. Sadly, the vast majority of games on display, with amazing tech, were shooters, which I can't stand. Still I see potential for what could be made, especially with so many open worlds being the norm now. I can't imagine games like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus done with the best of E3 tech.

I was so, so SO interested in Last of Us, until I saw a super detailed feature on the game and it turned out to be a zombie shooter. That killed all my enthusiasm.

Yeah but there a zombie fungus thats new, and kind of plausible.

Old 06 June 2013   #17
Originally Posted by teruchan: I was so, so SO interested in Last of Us, until I saw a super detailed feature on the game and it turned out to be a zombie shooter. That killed all my enthusiasm.

Bulls***. That game is amazing achievement, don't let yourself to be misguided by the 'zombies'. They are actually quite plausible scientifically, but it wouldn't matter if they weren't. You spend most of the shooting with the rest of the human survivors anyway.

But the game is about the relationship between two people. It is done at an unprecedented level of craftsmanship, and not just the graphics and the gameplay, but more importantly the directing and acting as well.

Just watch the first 20 minutes on Youtube to see what I mean.

Old 06 June 2013   #18
First thing I noticed and most impressive thing about that demo?

The lip synching.

Old 06 June 2013   #19
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: Bulls***. That game is amazing achievement, don't let yourself to be misguided by the 'zombies'. They are actually quite plausible scientifically, but it wouldn't matter if they weren't. You spend most of the shooting with the rest of the human survivors anyway.

But the game is about the relationship between two people. It is done at an unprecedented level of craftsmanship, and not just the graphics and the gameplay, but more importantly the directing and acting as well.

Just watch the first 20 minutes on Youtube to see what I mean.

What's scientifically plausible about humans that run around after death trying to eat the living?

Old 06 June 2013   #20
But they're not dead, damnit. The entire premise is based on a real world phenomenon, a certain type of fungus that attacks ants' brains and modifies their behaviour. In Last of Us this cordyceps fungus mutates and starts to attack humans and that is the way the world ends.

So there's no undead, no magic, no nothing. But the premise is only used as a background for a much more personal story, which is made that much more effective because of the player's active involvement...

Old 06 June 2013   #21
Originally Posted by DoubleSupercool: First thing I noticed and most impressive thing about that demo?

The lip synching.

I think they did some sort of full body capture like what image-metrics does, not manual lip syncing

Old 06 June 2013   #22
They use a standard Vicon system and the same type of optical markers on both the body and the face, just the face markers are smaller. You can see in the deformations that it's just a direct translation of marker movement mostly. Which is why it works best if the talent and the CG character are the same, but the animation itself is still not as good as the Last of Us or Halo 4.

Old 06 June 2013   #23
So, spending a little more time thinking about the Last of Us... I believe it is the most mature, thought provoking video game I've seen, a truly gripping experience altogether, where the story, the gameplay, the music, the acting, every little detail really, makes it something truly unique. It's also because of the ability to involve the audience as the player of the game, but all the rest have to be truly masterfully crafted to make it all come together.

So forget zombie games and TV shows and experience this, it's something daring and unique and moving. And I'm really hoping to see more of it.

Old 06 June 2013   #24
since no one yet to mention another awesome trailers, Quantum Break, from E3 2013, at least lip sync wise, its more incredible, and it looks like it is rendered in real time with ingame engine.

Old 06 June 2013   #25
I remember seeing Quantum Break, but I don't remember being all that impressed by it as I was so many other things at E3, so I never brought it up.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 06 June 2013   #26
Originally Posted by sentry66: I think they did some sort of full body capture like what image-metrics does, not manual lip syncing

Yep, should have said "facial capture". The facial capture was very, very good, especially the eye expressions and little mouth movements.

Old 06 June 2013   #27
Originally Posted by malcolmvexxed: What's scientifically plausible about humans that run around after death trying to eat the living?

There was a dude in Florida who was eating some guys face. A well placed disease or virus that affects the brain can do it. That can be anything airborn, fungal, digestive. in this case it was drugs (bath salts apparently).

Old 06 June 2013   #28
Originally Posted by teruchan: This was the case for me, especially from a technology standpoint. Sadly, the vast majority of games on display, with amazing tech, were shooters, which I can't stand. Still I see potential for what could be made, especially with so many open worlds being the norm now. I can't imagine games like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus done with the best of E3 tech.

I was so, so SO interested in Last of Us, until I saw a super detailed feature on the game and it turned out to be a zombie shooter. That killed all my enthusiasm.

I sure hope there's folks in developer land thinking like you and Josh and we see some positive changes or I'll have to go buy a reconditioned C64 and write off the next generation as pure, unsubstantiated hype. Do they crowdfund nextgen games? I'd lay down money as I did for Star Citizen if I can see something that looks like an uber detailed Journey.

Old 06 June 2013   #29
Yep, I've put money down on the Star Citizen Kickstarter and again on the Armikrog Kickstarter (go fund it!!) from Doug TenNapel. These are the sort of games I'm interested in buying and supporting devs to make.

Old 06 June 2013   #30

While the graphics are exciting, I would like to see storytelling in games continue to advance like it has recently with The Walking Dead and The Last of Us games. I think now with graphics being so jaw-dropping, the only way forward is with storytelling and gameplay advances.

BTW, to think of The Last of Us as a zombie shooter is kind of unfortunate. All these gaming sites aren't handing out praises like "masterpiece" and "best game of this generation of consoles" if it's "just" a zombie shooter. The premise of any story is not the its heart and soul--it's merely the set up. I'm still early on in the game, but I can tell you the first fifteen minutes (the intro section) had me in tears, and I've NEVER cried during a game before in my life.

When The Road won the Pultizer Prize, a lot of people said some very nasty things--thing like "Guess the Pulitzer judges have never seen or heard of the post-apocalyptic genre before and think it's so innovative." Comments like that completely miss the point of the book. The book isn't "just" another post-apocalyptic story; it's really a story about a father's love for his son, and how that love is conveyed when the world has lost all hope. The post-apocalyptic premise gave it a sense of visceral urgency and stark bleakness, which contrasts against the tenderness of the father's love and the idealistic hope of the child. How McCarthy expressed all that is the reason he won the Pulitzer Prize.

The Last of Us is similar, and in fact, the creators at Naughty Dog cited The Road as a major influence.

As a storyteller yourself, you should understand what I'm getting at. The thematic focus of any story often has little to do with the premise or the genre, and this is especially true of quality stories that transcend genre tropes.

Thread Closed share thread