The Dark Sorcerer - Quantic Dream's PS4 techdemo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
The Dark Sorcerer - Quantic Dream's PS4 techdemo

EDIT: This is a tech demo for PlayStation 4 running in real-time. Made by Quantic Dream.

First, the screenshots:

http://www.gamersyde.com/pop_images...er-22313-1.html

Here's the full 12-minute demo itself. As usual, YouTube's video compression takes quite the toll on image quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqeuHGESZBA

David Cage's blog post about this demo:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013...ext-gen-comedy/

E3 stage demo with more info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i6T...4&hd=1#t=13m54s

Last edited by -SD- : 06 June 2013 at 09:52 AM.

06 June 2013
Good quality version on Game Trailers dot com. As a tech demo then I assume it was all realtime. That could be pretty impressive, but as we saw with the PS2 and then PS3, what works in realtime in a demo goes out the window when you need to have physics, AI and other gameplay dynamics going with it. Considering what some PS3 titles look like these days, though, I am inclined to believe that we will see games of this quality on the PS4.

The ending was classic.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

06 June 2013
Turned out the actual "full demo" is 12 minutes long. Link changed.

...and, yes, of course it's real-time.

06 June 2013
Not sure why it wouldn't be real-time. Anyway looks cool, I hope I see more artistic non-FPS games coming out and less photo-realism stuff. Something like an improved version of Ni No Kuni would be great, or even something like Okami.

06 June 2013
Oh Okami was innovative. Sadly, I don't think it did very well financially. I also wish there could be more projects like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, but I am not sure those did exceptionally well either. I guess there is a reason for more and more FPS games, sad as it is. After seeing the Metal Gear gameplay trailer, I am starting to believe the PS4 can deliver this kind of quality in a running game.

06 June 2013
First I was like... not another one like that... but the extended version is awsome and really funny...

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by teruchan: Oh Okami was innovative. Sadly, I don't think it did very well financially. I also wish there could be more projects like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, but I am not sure those did exceptionally well either. I guess there is a reason for more and more FPS games, sad as it is. After seeing the Metal Gear gameplay trailer, I am starting to believe the PS4 can deliver this kind of quality in a running game.

Supposedly the original Wipeout didnt sell that many copies. But it kind of defined the playstation, made it cool and got people interested. Consoles need games like this. Games like Ico and Shadow of the Collusus may not sell well, but I think in a way they sell the console.

06 June 2013
that was all kinds of awesome! that was like a short film. Great stuff. Who created this?

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Grgeon: that was all kinds of awesome! that was like a short film. Great stuff. Who created this?

Quantic Dream based in Paris, France. They've worked on the following games:
OMIKRON: the Nomad Soul
FAHRENHEIT: Indigo Prophecy
Heavy Rain
upcoming BEYOND: Two Souls

Quantic Dream also animated this "Kara" tech demo about a year ago. (slightly NSFW)

embed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtbDDqU3dVI

06 June 2013
E3 stage demo with more info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i6T...4&hd=1#t=13m54s

06 June 2013
Truly awesome for real-time. They said that this is the same quality real-time what offline rendering was 5 years ago.

Any thoughts on if the demo was done pre-rendered how it could be better?

Cheers,
Jules

P.S. One thing I noticed is the shadows are still not right. Hard edged and also doesn't change from being sharp at the feet to getting softer the further away.

06 June 2013
After E3 my almost completely evaporated interest in games was renewed back to 100%.

This is one of the most impressive demos but the fact that there were many which had a similar level of facial animation and mocap with displacement mapping and physics everywhere is a very encouraging sign.

Mirror's Edge 2's fine arm hairs comes to mind as a "wow" moment, one of many.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by SciFibrow: After E3 my almost completely evaporated interest in games was renewed back to 100%.

This was the case for me, especially from a technology standpoint. Sadly, the vast majority of games on display, with amazing tech, were shooters, which I can't stand. Still I see potential for what could be made, especially with so many open worlds being the norm now. I can't imagine games like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus done with the best of E3 tech.

I was so, so SO interested in Last of Us, until I saw a super detailed feature on the game and it turned out to be a zombie shooter. That killed all my enthusiasm.

06 June 2013
It's good to see that consoles have finally caught up with PC tech. As for the demo itself, really impressive! Especially the nuances of the facial performance.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by SciFibrow: After E3 my almost completely evaporated interest in games was renewed back to 100%.

Interesting, my interest in gaming has waned, E3 just confirmed to me that what AAA game creators are focused on right now has little to no imagination past "OMG TEH GRAFIX".

Originally Posted by teruchan: I was so, so SO interested in Last of Us, until I saw a super detailed feature on the game and it turned out to be a zombie shooter. That killed all my enthusiasm.

Thanks for posting that spoiler.

Thread Closed share thread