how many remember The Minds Eye series?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
how many remember The Minds Eye series?

How many remember The Minds Eye series of CG animations? They are quaint by today's standards but when they came out, were mind blowing. It would be awesome to see them redone with today's animation tools.

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Yep i will always remember those videos, loved them and still do plus the music was good in them. I had them on VHS back then and i do still watch them from time to time.

/ Magnus

Old 06 June 2013   #3
I remember them being inspirational to me back in the 90's when I was just starting to learn 3D.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
I had those as well and still have the Jan Hammer soundtrack somewhere. Those were the days of forward kinematics.
The Stash series is a pretty good equivalent as are the Elec Theater collections from Siggraph.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
I still have several of these on VHS laying around somewhere. Pretty cool for the time. Probably pretty lame by today's standards.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
I remember those. Awe inspiring stuff at the time. Do things really become lame over time? Maybe that stuff would be easy to do today, and the achievement would not be as impressive, but does that make it lame? It probably got a lot of people, myself included deep into the world of CGI.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob
It would be awesome to see them redone with today's animation tools.

Why would it be "awesome"? I'm not sure I see your point. Do you mean because you could do it so quickly now? Personally, I think it would be incredibly boring to do today (though I was one of those who was wowed by them way back in the day.)

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
Why would it be "awesome"? I'm not sure I see your point. Do you mean because you could do it so quickly now? Personally, I think it would be incredibly boring to do today (though I was one of those who was wowed by them way back in the day.)

I don't think he means shot for shot. But a stylized compilation of what can be done with today's toolsets would be pretty cool.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narntson
I don't think he means shot for shot. But a stylized compilation of what can be done with today's toolsets would be pretty cool.

Don't we have that in just about any big VFX company's reel right now?

Old 06 June 2013   #10
I'm probably on the very edge of being too young to remember The Mind's Eye videos.

I saw Gate To The Mind's Eye when I was in 5th grade and thought it was the coolest thing I ever saw. Here I am nearly 20 years later doing it for a living.

I found it on youtube!:

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

Old 06 June 2013   #11
Okay, this got me thinking. I've always loved abstract and "spacey" animation, and there is oodles of this stuff on places like Vimeo. Just look under "categories" and "Animation & motion graphics" or "experimental." Just took a quick peek there and I found this awesome short:
http://vimeo.com/fluxelmedia/dubstep-dispute

Old 06 June 2013   #12
My friends and I used to totally geek out on The Mind's Eye videos--the visuals and the music.

It's astounding how far we've come.

Old 06 June 2013   #13
Correct me if I'm wrong, is one of them consist of a man and woman having sex / coupling before turning into dragonfly? Or at least, having sex?

I still remember being in the first week of the university day where they show stuff in the hall, Kitaro music and all. And then they showed the video. The moment the sex scene came up, it ended abruptly and the speech started. Ha ha.

Its a muslim country anyway.

Old 06 June 2013   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread