Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-07-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
shokan
Know-it-All
Peter Van Aken
Canada

realistic long hair

I need a suggestion for a 3D software that will produce very realistic long hair for stills.

Last edited by shokan : 06-07-2013 at 04:31 AM.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:23 AM   #2
Zerflag
Dedicated

portfolio
Enoch Ihde
R&D Guy
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via AIM to Zerflag
photoshop.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #3
shokan
Know-it-All
Peter Van Aken
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerflag
photoshop.
For 3D scenes? I edited first post to clarify that.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

This really should go into the subforum for whatever app you intend to use.
Realism of hair is entirely dependent on two things:
-Grooming tools available
-Shaders for filaments

Every app offers different options.

If you only care for rendering a still as quickly as possible with as little time as possible spent on set up for realistic hair lighting, based on the only physically coherent model out there, then consider Lagoa.

If you are limited by a DCC platform and can't comp in post, IE: you need it to render in camera in Maya, Softimage, MAX, or something else, then you will need to tap into the userbase of that specific app for opinions.
You have a slew of options but they are all platform dependent and often available only for one or two apps each, and some (one popular one and one not so well known one, but if you're in Canada that's a non-issue) are even country restricted (Ornatrix, ICE, Yeti, SnH etc).

Free Maya Nodes

Old 06-07-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
shokan
Know-it-All
Peter Van Aken
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
This really should go into the subforum for whatever app you intend to use.
I don't know which of the big boy 3D softwares to post in because I have no idea which one I need, which is why I posted here. Whichever that one is, I would prefer to do all my modeling and rendering in that. I've seen good gallery examples done with Cinema 4D and that's all I know so far.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
kokwey57
Veteran
portfolio
Lau Kok Wey
animator
fire cracker
Ipoh, Malaysia

this, maya plugin " hair fx "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umom29C5pIk

Old 06-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #7
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokan
I don't know which of the big boy 3D softwares to post in because I have no idea which one I need, which is why I posted here. Whichever that one is, I would prefer to do all my modeling and rendering in that. I've seen good gallery examples done with Cinema 4D and that's all I know so far.

Bear with me for a second, so you don't use any of the main DCC apps and you plan to base the decision of which one to learn solely on which one provides a shader with a decent hair shading model implemented?

There is a viable choice for all of the AD products. I'm not familiar with C4D but I'm sure they do better than alright in those regards.
And there might be other apps as well, and I just don't know about it.

You don't know any of those? If you do, post in the forums of the app you already know to see if there's something available.

If you don't know any, literally, and have a job revolving solely around getting hair grooms out to the highest level of realism, look at Lagoa.

If you intend to do more, which one, presently (because the tables tend to be turned every few years) has the best hair system is a bit of a weak point to choose to learn by.

Sorry, just it's a very confusing question with no context whatsoever.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
shokan
Know-it-All
Peter Van Aken
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO

Sorry, just it's a very confusing question with no context whatsoever.

Super realistic portraiture is my goal and I see by looking now at other gallery examples that they pretty much all can do that. I mean the well-known big 3D softwares.

I was hoping that that there was a general opinion that such and such software at the upper limit of its capability has the really killer hair system these days compared to the rest.

Very believable hair is what I'm most concerned about. Natural looking skin also of course, but being a traditional painter with some 3D experience in modo in an old version some years back, I think I'll get a handle on that with whatever current package I get. I'll keep looking at gallery examples and base my decision on that, and thanks.

Last edited by shokan : 06-07-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
neuk
Dr. Strangelove
portfolio
ognjen vukovic
london, United Kingdom

Old 06-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Very believable hair is what I'm most concerned about. Natural looking skin also of course.......

There are other considerations to get to that goal, such as lighting. Some experience in the chosen 3D package is I think essential for getting the best photo real results from it and any hair plug-ins.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
shokan
Know-it-All
Peter Van Aken
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuk

Very clever use of NURBs as an envelope for styling. Thanks.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
neuk
Dr. Strangelove
portfolio
ognjen vukovic
london, United Kingdom

No problem,

The setup is a bit cryptic when you first get into it, but theres a ton of documentation around the web, most of it you can find on si-community.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
I'll keep looking at gallery examples and base my decision on that, and thanks.

Even that is not a sure thing if Photoshop and non-standard issue renderers
are also used by the artist in the gallery image construction.

Maybe you should look for 'long hair tutorials' instead and choose a software based on the final result example provided with the tutorial...(as long as it obtains a good result without using Photoshop or a comp program for the final step - which often happens with professional work/tutorials).

Last edited by circusboy : 06-07-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
marcuso
infinitesimal

Marcus Ottosson
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Very clever use of NURBs as an envelope for styling. Thanks.

And yet nearly every package uses geometry as a means to block out hair. Seriously, its like asking which brand of pencil to use if you're looking to draw the most realistic hair. It seems to me that you arent looking for any major package to do hair, but rather a specialized application to do hair that could integrate well into your paintings. Like what ZBrush does for modeling. and maybe even hair nowadays?

Old 06-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #15
shokan
Know-it-All
Peter Van Aken
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuso
And yet nearly every package uses geometry as a means to block out hair. Seriously, its like asking which brand of pencil to use if you're looking to draw the most realistic hair. It seems to me that you arent looking for any major package to do hair, but rather a specialized application to do hair that could integrate well into your paintings. Like what ZBrush does for modeling. and maybe even hair nowadays?
Yeah. There's even something that looks pretty powerful for DAZ figures called Garibaldi. But, the technique and results that the matkovic guy above developed for Softimage looks very promising.

Thread Closed share thread