IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Bi-Week-005: June 3-June 16- 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #16
The painterly style on Le Gouffre looks great, especially for the scenery.

Old 06 June 2013   #17
For those interested in developing their own IP:
Undead Labs' "State of Decay" comes out of nowhere and breaks records
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06 June 2013   #18
Congrats to them!

Old 06 June 2013   #19
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: For those interested in developing their own IP:
Undead Labs' "State of Decay" comes out of nowhere and breaks records

It says on EuroGamer that "State of Decay" is actually published under Microsoft Studios.
So this is like an indie-line under Microsoft, right?

How does that work?

How does Microsoft help them?

Old 06 June 2013   #20
I have been following this guy for awhile now.

There are tons of training and tutorial videos on his youtube page.
The main series is called Tales of Nalstone.

I'm suprised he does not post here on cgtalk.com

Old 06 June 2013   #21
Quote: All we had was what we believed was a great game and a great community.

It seems alot of success this guy owes to the community. I'm not sure what community he is speaking of but it looks like he has gotten some great support.

I love this idea Roberto has put out to the community. IP Incubator is a great idea that was a long time coming. I hope we can all be a part of it and I hope it grows.

One thing I have noticed though in the IP Incubator threads that I've searched through is that the same folks are the ones who are most active. People with a passion for building new and cool things.

The only problem I see is the overall support of the community. Remember these guys who made this Zombie game were successful because of the "community". It does not seem that there is as much community excitement for these IPs. I wonder how we can get people more interested in these projects. We really need the community's help.

This IP incubator has gone a long way so far I think in moving in the right direction. I hope CGtalk can be supportive of these growing IPs. But it is good to see it going in the right direction. We went from not being able to even talk about or post our IP ideas to having an open forum. Thanks again Roberto. Hopefully this will help folks get where they need to be and become successful. But I also think we have a long way to go to getting the users support on these projects. So any ideas from folks to keep the interest going?

Old 06 June 2013   #22
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: It says on EuroGamer that "State of Decay" is actually published under Microsoft Studios.
So this is like an indie-line under Microsoft, right?

How does that work?

How does Microsoft help them?

Wondering the same, MS is putting it out through Xbox AND PC.

Old 06 June 2013   #23
Do any of you guys have experience with 3D printing of action figures, or sculptures?

Old 06 June 2013   #24
Originally Posted by Pyke: Do any of you guys have experience with 3D printing of action figures, or sculptures?

i have done it with Shapeways. And I am considering getting a 3d Printer.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06 June 2013   #25
New Project: Poke's Tale

I wanted to chime in a project of mine that has been in development for sometime.

It is called the Legend of Poke.

And here is our main character

What do you guys think?

The story is about Poke, our main character, who is led off to prison and forced to live on the run. His people share the same land as the Wolveners but with wars around the world escalating and the Wolvener empire growing Poke's people find themselves slaves. Poke is in search of a hero to help free his people but along the way learns he is the hero.

I want it to be an interactive comic. With animations and such.

I think my biggest challenge is finding a modeler right now. I can model but the characters would look jacked up. Ugly dudes and women.

If anyone knows a modeler I would be gracious. I can pay a little but at the end of the day I'm trying to incubate this thing.

I really only need 3 character models. Male Wolvener generic and female wolvener generic, Generic Poke also known as an Amharet or people of the dirt.

Old 06 June 2013   #26
I really like the design of the human characters (kind of have a Disney meets Warcraft vibe to them), but the lower image (Im assuming thats the main character) I dont think that he 'fits' in well with the style of the others.
But thats mainly because none of them are drawn together, so its a difficult thing to compare in terms of scale, proportions, etc.

Your hand drawings are really nice. Is there any major reason you want to go 3D?

Old 06 June 2013   #27
I agree with Pyke's comments. The designs are solid though the main character feels out of place when compared with the other. Were these initial design concepts done by different people? I would also caution against going 3D unless you have a good reason for it, especially when you consider your end medium is going to be largely static images... 3D seems almost a waste when compared with the flexibility of a good 2D art style. I could see this working really well as a 2D motion comic while mixing in some interesting effects here and there.

Old 06 June 2013   #28
Here are a few pages from the original comic

Originally the Amharets were supposed to be a weird looking Cricket like people and the main hero was going to be my old character Flog but then each got their own story and Poke and the Amharets turned into an Anthromorphic pig.

The reason I want to go 3d is that I'm not the original artist. In fact I think the original artist of this work has died or disappeared. No one has seen her for years at least online. One day we were talking and the next I never heard from her again.

But the thing is I can create stories and come up with characters all day long but I cannot draw. If I could draw this thing would have been done long time ago. I would love this to be 2d and draw it myself.

I want to go 3d but with a 2d look to it because I can setup a scene and look of a comic and I can also animate 3d characters so once I get the 3d characters done I can simply animate them and set them up in the story.

The guy over at DreamlandChronicles can create almost 3 pages a day using 3d. That is almost 90 pages a month of finished pages. Even the best of artists can turn out 40 finished pages at best.

So since I cannot draw it myself and for speed purposes I wanted to go a 3d route but not 3d.

I wanted to do an illustrative 3d like this
http://www.farfarer.com/portfolio/lougaroux.htm

That Wolf Guy is all 3d but looks 2d.

I'm hoping to find a modeler to do 3 characters which I can Zbrush to turn into 100+ characters with morphs.

Even if I did it in full 3d I could imagine it looking something like this

That would just look so nice and I think with great art and my story and "special" comic, not just a motion comic but a full "cinematic" comic it would be cool and something special.

Just need to find the $$$. Once I get that the plan is to go for an animated cinematic comic and the traditional online and print. From there try to sell merchandise like Tshirts, etc. Merchandise not exactly even related to the cartoon/comic. I want to treat it as a business cause my ultimate goal is to make a living doing this comic and others.

Whoever I can find to help I can pay a little bit but ultimately would like them to have a stake in the merchandising and whatever money the comic makes as a residual.
100% profit shared until a milestone is met and then ultimately 10% of the property and whatever happens to the property from there you get granfathered in at 10%. So you receive all the profit until lets say $2000 a model is met + whatever I paid upfront + 50% of profit until next milestone met lets say $2000 more, then it levels out at 10% of all profits for the entirety of the life of the characters. So say 50 years from now the comic is still in print you get 10%. If it gets opted for Hollywood you get 25% of that payment as well. I have it all in a contract.

I have the drive to make this thing but not all the skill. But that is the deal if anyone interested. Let's incubate this egg.

Last edited by earthboyjacobus : 06 June 2013 at 02:38 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #29
Do you own the original artwork and story?

I think you could use poser/daz, and get creative with some Photoshop effects and paints, and cut out an artist from the process.

The less people involved, the better it is for you in the long run!

Old 06 June 2013   #30
Quote: Do you own the original artwork and story?

I think you could use poser/daz, and get creative with some Photoshop effects and paints, and cut out an artist from the process.

The less people involved, the better it is for you in the long run!

I own all the original artwork. All the characters and designs are copyright of me.
I thought about the process of using Poser and Zbrush the mess out of them but then I get into the more custom characters that is where I have the problem.

I'm running a few experiments on Rotoscoping myself and such right now I want to share with ya'll in the coming weeks.

The reason I want to do the 3d is to cut out as many folks as possible because once I have the few assets I need then I can run amok and do the 1000 page series I want to do.

Last edited by banman7 : 06 June 2013 at 10:52 PM.

Thread Closed share thread