CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #46
ambassador
EXPLORER

portfolio
Ray Sena
Texture & Shading artist for Film, 3d artist for print/ book, Pre-vis/conceptual Design artist, video Opperator for motion controll
United States

thethule- sorry your office is boring and sterile unlike most art studios, haha, enough of the debbie downer. Like I said, frog in the pot, get back to me in 20yrs and tell me what you think again. Don't expect modern medicine to help you much, even in the future. Pharma companies have little interest in "preventing" illness, they would rather make money off you and your taxes by "treating" it with expensive meds after you already get sick...I have done work for pharma and my coffee table books are mainly about human physiology, pharma companies prob would not even deny they would rather have you buy pills from them than actually abolishing any type of (life choice) disease, e.g. diabetes, cardio vascular disease, etc. I personally find it part of my duty to avoid getting sick, as to not be a future drain on taxes that could go to something more beneficial, e.g. education and natural space preservation. Its not about being heavy set or thin btw, there are plenty of fit for their size large folks, and sickly thin people, weight/bmi, while a good factor is not always 100% accurate about someones overall health.
------

Now, this, is interesting, imagine using this to be immersed in your 3d/vfx software,
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ef=discover_pop

A very innovative idea, (dont get scared thehule), I do not play video games myself since its more time behind a screen outside of work, but this opens many possibilities for immersion while working. Being strapped in may be odd, but hey, this looks like its their fist dev of what it could become.

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

Old 06-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #47
pipdixel
Frequenter

portfolio
JTK
USA

This is what we use at my current office. I try to stand and work at least half the day.

http://www.geekdesk.com/

Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #48
EpsilonStudios
portfolio
James Guard
Generalist
Epsilon Studios
Livermore, United States

Before I started using a treddesk my back/ass was always hurting also I was tired all the time. After using it for maybe 2-3 years now I would never sit at a desk ever again, back is better. Ass cant hurt anymore since I'm not sitting on it all day. I wake up while I start walking and feel energized. Never again will I sit at a computer for work!

@thethule

As for noise in the office, offices are noisy in the first place. Honestly the noise of a tredmill is the last thing that would bother me at work. As for calling it silly (but in the politest way) I think you’re an idiot (but in apolite way, but I really do mean it) for calling us silly for something thatyou haven’t tried. Go try it, maybe you can be silly like us.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #49
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassador
Now, this, is interesting, imagine using this to be immersed in your 3d/vfx software,
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ef=discover_pop

A very innovative idea, (dont get scared thehule), I do not play video games myself since its more time behind a screen outside of work, but this opens many possibilities for immersion while working. Being strapped in may be odd, but hey, this looks like its their fist dev of what it could become.

Wow! That looks really neat! Could be really neat on sports games. I think it would be pretty embarrassing though if someone walked in while you were playing.

-AJ

Old 06-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #50
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

I used to have a lot of problems with hand/wrist pain, stiff back/shoulder/neck, headaches, etc when I was younger. Back then, nobody taught me anything about how to be healthy in the way I work, so I used whatever desk and chair I could find, never took breaks, and didn't use any ergonomically designed tools. And I paid the price. It took me many years to correct the problems I had by working like that for many years.

Now, I do the following:

-I have a timer that goes off every hour to remind me to get up and do various stretches for my neck, shoulder back, arms, wrists, fingers, etc, as well as rest my eyes.

-I have been using Evoluent's excellent vertical mouse for over ten years now (the best vertical mouse there is--I've tried a bunch) and it has totally eliminated any problems related to prolonged mouse usage.

-I have been using ergonomic chairs for several years, and it made a huge difference to my back and shoulder and neck. I currently have the Neutral Posture 8600. It's not cheap ($1,200), but I love how customizable the arm-rests are. In fact, it was the arm-rest design that convinced me to spend the money. My arms/shoulders thank me everyday.

-I use two keyboards. One is a gaming keyboard with macro keys that I've set up to perform often-used commands. The other is has the number keypad on the left side, so the mouse can be placed properly on the right, while the B key (center of the typing area) can be placed directly at the center for symmetrical arm placement (this is the keyboard I do all the typing on). The keyboard with the macros is placed a bit further in front of me, with the main typing keyboard's top edge rested on its bottom edge.

-I recently was going to physical therapy for an old injury, and they introduced me to the foam roller. I now use it a few times a day to get some flexibility back in my spine. It feels soooo good.

-I'm not too good with keeping up an exercise routine. I always skip sessions when I get busy (which is all the time). But when I do keep to it, I have an eliptical machine that I use for an hour while watching a movie or TV show, or listen to podcasts. I also have an exercise mat and a floor-standing punching bag that I do punches and kicks with.

I'm tempted by that whole standing desk thing. I keep reading all these articles about how sitting is horrible for our health and longevity, and it's scaring me. I might have to take the plunge one of these days.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #51
Intars5d
Expert

portfolio
Intars Kocesevs
CG artist
Riga, Latvia

Quote:
Evoluent's excellent vertical mouse

Thanks, bro for sharing this. I quickly checked info and got on their site, seems they even ship this outside US too. I haven't heard before about those vertical mouses. Looks like a real thing, very ergonomical.
We have to protect our wrists and arms at any cost

Old 07-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #52
MiguelCBT
Expert

portfolio
Miguel CBT
Digital Artist
Portugal

Personally, since I have my own gym at home, there are no excuses not to do some workout everyday. I found it the best way to stay healthy at work. No back or arms pain, and nice blood flow to the legs.
Also, I have my creative ideas to projects and answers to problem solving, mainly, during the workouts.For sure the blood flow and amount of oxigen to the brain may have some word on this.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #53
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

I just bought a Ergotron Workfit-A, and I can recommend it wholeheartedly. It works with your current desk so you don't have to get a whole new standing/moving desk, and also, only your monitor, keyboard, and mouse would need to be moved up and down, instead of everything on your desk. It can be a bit wobbly in the standing position if your desk isn't very heavy/solid, but if you put something under it like a cardboard box or whatever matches the height you need, it becomes very solid.

I'm now doing about 3 to 4 hours of standing with the Workfit-A, and I'm going to work my way up to half and half (only standing or only sitting for hours at a time are both bad for you--alternating between them is the best).

Old 07-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #54
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intars5d
Thanks, bro for sharing this. I quickly checked info and got on their site, seems they even ship this outside US too. I haven't heard before about those vertical mouses. Looks like a real thing, very ergonomical.
We have to protect our wrists and arms at any cost

Try before you buy with vertical mice, they aren't for everybody.

The very first evo was ok, their second (which I bought) an utter waste of money. The third one, which I tried on loan for a short while, gave me pretty major thumb/carpal pain.

Don't buy into their marketing that a vertical wrist is a given as a better position for your wrist, it's both not proven and rather individual.

In my case a very heavy mouse with a gentle angle is by far better than their crappy evo 2 and mediocre evo 3 have ever been.

Also since you're not clicking against something solid (pressure goes against the table) it gets twitchy unless you contract your thumb at the same time, which for some people is ok, for me wasn't.

I'm not saying it's bad, some people love it, but it's definitely not a sure shot thing to be good like some other items.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 07-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #55
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
Try before you buy with vertical mice, they aren't for everybody.

The very first evo was ok, their second (which I bought) an utter waste of money. The third one, which I tried on loan for a short while, gave me pretty major thumb/carpal pain.

Don't buy into their marketing that a vertical wrist is a given as a better position for your wrist, it's both not proven and rather individual.

In my case a very heavy mouse with a gentle angle is by far better than their crappy evo 2 and mediocre evo 3 have ever been.

Also since you're not clicking against something solid (pressure goes against the table) it gets twitchy unless you contract your thumb at the same time, which for some people is ok, for me wasn't.

I'm not saying it's bad, some people love it, but it's definitely not a sure shot thing to be good like some other items.

I've used every version of the Evoluent vertical mouse and they fit me so perfectly that I can't use anything else. I've tried other vertical mice and more conventional ergonomic mice and none felt as comfortable or fatigue-free as the Evoluent for me. I'm now on version 4, and I think version 3 and 4 are both my favorites thus far.

You actually don't have to use any force on your thumb. They have done a great job balancing the weight against the force needed to click. Try it--don't rest your thumb on the mouse at all, and click anyway--it totally works, and very smoothly too, without moving the mouse at all. I have both version 3 and 4 in front of me they can both do that.

When I first got the Evoluent, I was worried it might affect my gaming, but it didn't change anything for the worse (due to the well-balanced weight vs. clicking force I mentioned).

The thing I love about version 4 the most is the extra button. With 6 total buttons on a mouse, I can customize really useful common commands/macros and it's made a huge difference in how fast I can breeze through certain tasks. I use the Evoluent Mouse Manager in conjunction with the awesome (and free) X-mouse Button Control to create whole sets of very useful custom settings that I can switch between with hotkeys. It's crazy convenient.

But you're right--it's a very personal thing, and it's hard to know if it's for you without actually giving it some time, because you need to recalibrate to the vertical mouse. I think for most people, 30 minutes to an hour of continuous usage should be enough to get used to it (or you'll decide it's not for you).

Old 07-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #56
sconlogue
Expert

portfolio
Samuel Conlogue
3D Visualization Artist
Infusion Studios, Inc.
Portland, USA

I wrote a bit about this last year after deciding to change my working life to be more healthy and balanced.

A Life Less Sedentary: CG Artist Health

Basically sitting is pretty horrible for your body and that's even if you practice good posture, have a decent chair, place your monitors at the proper height etc. If you do nothing else, find a way to work standing for most of your day. Don't forget you sit in the car, at home, at dinner. That's plenty of sitting as it is.

Also, talk of having to work 16 hour days without OT etc is something I sympathize with but damn, if you work for a firm and they expect this they are killing you slowly! Literally! I work crazy hours sure, in spurts. It's just two of us here so crunch time is real. But then I take it easy after the crunch. I also financially benefit from every minute I'm working. Not the greatest balance, and I'm always working on improving that, but I would NEVER expect an employee to work those kinds of hours. NEVER! That's when it's time to hire more people or bring in more contractors. If you can't you underbid you employees into a real mess. Granted plenty of companies do that unfortunately.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:36 AM   #57
Nolan
Veteran

portfolio
Nolan T
Second Nature Ltd
Auckland, New Zealand

Anti-inflammatory - Short term soloutions

Sometimes I find that the more pain I am experiencing the more time I spend in front of the devices causing it. Yes as if its that way around. So do the following to moderate your current pain but don’t use them to reduce it only so you can work longer.

Short term solution to your current pain if caused by inflammation.

Aspirin, green tea, extra v olive oil, oily fish ( Omega 3), ginger, turmeric

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-inflammatory
http://nutrition.about.com/od/diets...iinflamfood.htm

Avoid sugar and highly processed foods.

Rest……

Last edited by Nolan : 07-22-2013 at 04:58 AM.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #58
Tuxon86
PRO
portfolio
Alain Ménard
Beauharnois, Canada

I have a Bowflex exerciser, a stationary bike and a dorsal squat bench. I'm also in the process of converting my workplace at home to a stand up desk. After 8 hours sitting at the office I can't stand (pun intended) being seated at home.

The bike faces my 60" HDTV and I pedal while watching the documentaries that I recorded during the day on my pvr/htpc. The bowflex is the fist thing you see when entering my home workplace so it act as a reminder. I'm doing 2 sets on the bowflex and bench per day + about an hour of low intensity pedalling.

I have to do this to manage my weight also. Being on meds for my anxiety disorder as a side effect of me being always craving sugary food. I got up to 280lbs before I got the Bowflex and bike last year. Now I'm stable at 210 and I plan to push it down to 185.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #59
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

It's important to remember that prolonged sitting and standing are both bad for your body. It's much better to alternate between them, so when you start to get sore from standing, you sit, and when your sitting gets uncomfortable (for example, my tailbone would hurt after a while), you stand. This is why I chose the Ergotron Workfit-A, which allows me to easily and quickly switch between the two without having to raise/lower the entire desk.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #60
neuk
Dr. Strangelove
portfolio
ognjen vukovic
london, United Kingdom

I would just like to chime in, recently i started having some minor back problems due to the absurd time i spend sitting in a chair.
A friend told me to look into powerbag exercises , and i have to say its probably the best 40 euros spent in the past couple of years. I even went a bit overboard and got the 25 kilo bag but instantly removed at least 10 kilos from it, and now i do about half an hour of core training with it a day, and the effects are amazing....

Would defiantly recommend to anyone here interested in strengthening back and torso muscles....

Thread Closed share thread