Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #31
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhomosapien97
One of the big issues I have heard of is carpal tunnel. This can be corrected by ergonomics and certain stretches. I like to use Blender for everything it can do just as well as the industry software because the UI distributes clicking more evenly between the fingers to prevent carpal tunnel.

Snake oil...

Old 06-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #32
LadyMedusa
Crazy Cat Lady

portfolio
Valentina Rosalia D'Este
Hamar, Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloncov
I realize it can be hard to justify to co-workers and bosses, but I think most people will get more work done working 13.5 hours and spending half an hour on exercise than if they do 14 hours of work with no exercise. I certainly know my productivity plummets if I go more than a day without at least light exercise.

We didn't have to do it. I just couldn't do it to my other co-workers. We were 3 people working that hard, just because the rest didn't, because they knew we would do it if they didn't. Just so that we could keep our deadlines.
We only had like 3 newspapers to make ads, flyers and magazines for though. So I would imagine bigger companies having more workload.
I have heard several stories of people working as much, so it's likely a normal thing for the advertisement industry.

Obviously some of them went nuts.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #33
SanjayChand
Gnomon Grad

portfolio
Sanjay Chand
Studio city, USA

Things I do:

- get up every couple hours for short break (to rest eyes, get fresh air).
- lift weights 4-6x a week always (unless I am in super crunch-mode and working over 12 hours a day).
- eat relatively clean foods (no junk or heavy food for lunch)
- specifically do wrist and forearm exercises to combat the possibility of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Website and Demo Reel:
http://www.sanjaychand.com

Old 06-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #34
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Well I am forced to work out because of my body.

I am not kidding.

If I stop going to the gym for extended period of time (an I mean more than 2 weeks) I start having pain on my wrists and my lower back.
(The back pain I live with, I owe it to an overeager drill instructor)

For my wrists I do a ton of push ups and they have been wonderful keeping the pain at bay.
And for my back problems I do a ton of stretching exercises before I start my workouts.

I also recommend Cyclical machines to help avoid knee joint issues. Well I am off to the gym.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 06-06-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #35
ambassador
EXPLORER

portfolio
Ray Sena
Texture & Shading artist for Film, 3d artist for print/ book, Pre-vis/conceptual Design artist, video Opperator for motion controll
United States

Repost from another thread----

As research has shown, sitting 8+ hours a day wont be offset much by hitting the gym for 45 minutes, of coarse its better than more sitting. There is plenty of research on this, I dont want to post it all,
http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2013/01/sit...generation.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/oct/13/walking-could-protect-brain-against-shrinking

Other than that, there are options, I would recommend the walking desk, I have been using it for 3+ years, would never go back, it comes with me where I go/part of my hire agreement. I wish studios would bring in demo desks for artists to try, so they can really see how simple it is, and how you can still work without even thinking about it, even use a wacom. Your not breaking a sweat or running, just slowly walking, a basic human function. I feel less tired at the end of the day, when compared to the past when I was sitting. Standing desks ALONE are not the same, at all. This desk is no larger than the others in the studio, just more vertical, you can find cheaper versions at ikea, personally, mine could be smaller/not so wide for my needs, but its foldable, lite, and height adjustable(manual)

Outside of the walking desk, I trail run, swim, and cycle, not for any race, but because its a good balance to be outside with staring at a screen for 8hrs a day. Studies have shown, "static" & "pulling" stretches can do more harm than good, tugging and ripping cold muscles. Dynamic stretching is fine on the other hand.

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

Old 06-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #36
evolucian
Lurkmeister
portfolio
Lulu
Compositor
Vancouver, Canada

how much did the desk run you? im guessing in the 2-3k range?

Old 06-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #37
ambassador
EXPLORER

portfolio
Ray Sena
Texture & Shading artist for Film, 3d artist for print/ book, Pre-vis/conceptual Design artist, video Opperator for motion controll
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolucian
how much did the desk run you? im guessing in the 2-3k range?

Haha, heck no. My setup was 400$ for the desk (height adjustable) 450$ treadmill (fold-able). I could have gone cheaper.

Dont forget, those interlocking desks/pods/cubicles studios purchase are 500-1000+ a pop, minus the chair...despite them looking rather plain and simple, they are about the same cost or more.

Yes, you can find uber custom built treadmill desks online for way too much$$. I have a friend who made his own for less than 300$. All you need is a standing desk, generic, and a treadmill (Craigslist has a ton unused home purchase treadmills for cheap). Advice for treadmill purchase, just check the slowest speed and deciles, which most stats show, so you can walk quietly, and output sound no more than an additional workstation.

As for occasional sitting if you would like, a cheap used stool (doody, haha) will do.

A few companies friends of mine work at outside of the industry, google, and wallmart admin offices have set up "Share" treadmill desk stations, and they seem to really like it.

Yes, its an initial investment, but so is gym/club membership, or that time you may spend rushing around before/after work to try to move a little before sitting down again to unwind before bed. Personally, with walking all day, there does not seem to be much need to hit the track/gym/crossfit stuff after work, I just do additional trail running and swimming because I like to spend my holidays trail running in the mountains, along with nature photog.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #38
evolucian
Lurkmeister
portfolio
Lulu
Compositor
Vancouver, Canada

That sounds promising. I was looking at some all in 1 type workstations and it seemed to hover around those prices, though, if you break it down and buy things separately, much like you did, you'll end up having to pay only half of what they charge.

Id settle just for a regular stand up desk, never mind a treadmill one.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #39
ambassador
EXPLORER

portfolio
Ray Sena
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolucian
That sounds promising. I was looking at some all in 1 type workstations and it seemed to hover around those prices, though, if you break it down and buy things separately, much like you did, you'll end up having to pay only half of what they charge.

Id settle just for a regular stand up desk, never mind a treadmill one.

& there is even the less expensive route, just find a used treadmill and put a tabletop/board on top of the arms, which are pretty much perfect "table legs" like so, http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-N61-FYSTj...6+me+on+TM1.jpg
Of coarse, a different type of board for more space could be better, since most of use use dual monitor setups.

Just standing is a nice option and all, but it eventually just pools blood into your legs since your still static. It is a nice break from sitting though, but its still about as healthy as sitting, aside from some relief from being in a single position through the day.

One thing to remember about any type of standing desk is proper ergonomics still apply. your elbows should be at a comfortable 90*, monitors raised so your eye level is center/top to the monitors...so you dont end up with text neck like most laptop users.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #40
thethule
whataguy!
portfolio
Marc Khachfe
3d animator
Zebra Crossing
North London, United Kingdom

I'm sorry, but having someone use a treadmill right next to my desk would annoy the crap out of me (sound and movement). I don't mean this personally, but that is ridiculous. Its like something from a sketch show....."presenting the tradmill desk!".

Old 06-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #41
ShinChanPu
Expert

portfolio
Félix Romero
3D modeler, character artist
Madrid, España

My contribution:

• COLD SHOWER: Have a complete cold shower every morning just after waking up, after physical work/training and only from hips to toes just before going to bed. Don't do it when your skin is cold. Avoid hot shower/bath unless you're alternating with cold water for contrast therapy.
  • FEEDING: Avoid sugar and its derivatives, any kind of flours and their derivatives, milk and its derivatives (except yogurt). Avoid alcohol, coffe, cola, and those "energetic drinks" (strong stimulants). Limit a lot any kind of meat. Eat greens, cereals, legumes, seaweeds, fruits, nuts...
  • FOOD PROCESSING: Avoid very processed meals. When cooking, go traditional (no microwave, slow cooking). Don't fry.
  • EXERCISE/SPORTS: Enjoy your favourites, but remember having your cold shower at the end.
  • RELEASE PRESSURE: Avoid keeping any kind of pressure inside you (stress, concerns, frustration, sorrow...) Don't fight it, just solve the issue in its origin or if you can't, accept it and flow.
  • BE POSITIVE: Focus on every good, beautiful, lovely things and people around you. Enjoy the LIFE... the authentic miracle.
You'd be atonished by the amount and gravity of the health issues you can prevent or even recover doing so.

Last edited by ShinChanPu : 06-10-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #42
ambassador
EXPLORER

portfolio
Ray Sena
United States

ShinChan- some good lifestyle tip in their too,

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethule
I'm sorry, but having someone use a treadmill right next to my desk would annoy the crap out of me (sound and movement). I don't mean this personally, but that is ridiculous. Its like something from a sketch show....."presenting the tradmill desk!".

Well, considering the noise output is the same as your average tower, you wouldn't even notice it, just like the folks who sit around me. Way less annoying than cheap headphones guy, haha, you know that guy!

As far as things that sound like they are from a sketch show, here are a few for you...(again, I used to sit, so I know what its like)
-This group of 22-25yo CG artist, gets winded when we go for lunch and walk up a slight incline
-Yeah, that's his third energy drink...for sitting at the desk
-Your tired from sitting all day, and your going to sit at home?
- My co worker, is jitterbugging around half the day at his desk, kicking his feet because he is malnourished, but full of stimulants.
, Shall I go on?

"Don't take this personally", but I find rotting on your bum or static all day "ridiculous" , then running off after work for 40min (less than half the week) to try and make up for it, a torturefest. As for ridiculous, consider most of the artists around you are full grown adults and have a desk full of action figures and vinyl toys, along with other decorations, dojo screens, odd lamps etc. We are artists, embrace this ridiculousness, and be happy you don't work in a sterile cubicle.

Like I said its a lifestyle choice, like any other. Humans were never meant to be sitting static at a desk half the day, its just become the social norm, like many other odd daily functions. I always thought desks should have been designed for the humans using them, and less for machines we plop on them.

For the first 6 years of my 10 years in the industry I sat too, so I know what its like to almost doze off after your heavy lunch, run out for coffee to stay up, feel lethargic after work from no physical output, etc.... Unlike the chair co.'s, gyms, crossfit fad diets, I am not trying to make a buck off anyone touting a fad, just hear to tell my experiences and observations. Its up to you, get slowly sick (frog in the pot analogy), or make some sustainable life choices that will only benefit you in the current-and near future...I mean, have you seen some of the artists in our industry in our upper 30's-40's, ask them, would they have done anything differently, its up to you to listen and learn.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #43
pipdixel
Frequenter

portfolio
JTK
USA

You're dead on. 100% correct.

Found out a guy I've worked with before died of a heart attack at 36 years old.
He sat probably 15 hours a day, worked way to much, smoked, ate fast food, was probably 50 pounds , at least, overweight. Probably, I assume, never had a physical at the Dr. Office....something you should do yearly once you hit 30 by the way...although, us freelancers sometimes can't afford normal health care...so it is what it is.

Anyway, dead, 36 years old.

This lifestyle is no joke. It'll kill you if you don't manage the lack of activity, lack of normal eating patterns, and the stress/hours this takes.

I'm sure I cut years off a healthy life with the way I lived in my 20s doing this. Don't wait till your 30s to think about it.

Last edited by pipdixel : 06-10-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #44
Vojislav+Milanovic
Hundertwasser fan

portfolio
Vojislav_Milanovic
3D animator, LW generalist
Optix Digital Pictures
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Send a message via MSN to Vojislav+Milanovic Send a message via Yahoo to Vojislav+Milanovic
I have had all sorts of issues so far, back pain, joint pain, most recent I got bursitis on my left elbow working 15 hours a day on a cintiq 6 days a week on a recent workload peak.

My regime is like this. 3 out of 5 work days a week I go to the pool before work. I'm on a program and I increase the length of swimming every time. It does wonders on your back and your thigh and especially inner thigh muscles which get to loose from swimming and cause lower back pain. I picked up a book Complete Idiots Guide to Swimming and its a great and fun read, has awesome stretching exercises inside plus diet recommendations. Every day I swim I feel great and full of energy that day, mind is much clearer and I'm able to pull much more work than usual.

In the evenings I go for 3.5 or 7 kilometers walk around the park. Once or twice a week an hour of table tennis, great and easy exercise for body, mind and eyes.

1 day a week i completely rest, no tv, no computers nothing.

And no video games.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #45
thethule
whataguy!
portfolio
Marc Khachfe
3d animator
Zebra Crossing
North London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassador
ShinChan- some good lifestyle tip in their too,

Well, considering the noise output is the same as your average tower, you wouldn't even notice it, just like the folks who sit around me. Way less annoying than cheap headphones guy, haha, you know that guy!

As far as things that sound like they are from a sketch show, here are a few for you...(again, I used to sit, so I know what its like)
-This group of 22-25yo CG artist, gets winded when we go for lunch and walk up a slight incline
-Yeah, that's his third energy drink...for sitting at the desk
-Your tired from sitting all day, and your going to sit at home?
- My co worker, is jitterbugging around half the day at his desk, kicking his feet because he is malnourished, but full of stimulants.
, Shall I go on?

"Don't take this personally", but I find rotting on your bum or static all day "ridiculous" , then running off after work for 40min (less than half the week) to try and make up for it, a torturefest. As for ridiculous, consider most of the artists around you are full grown adults and have a desk full of action figures and vinyl toys, along with other decorations, dojo screens, odd lamps etc. We are artists, embrace this ridiculousness, and be happy you don't work in a sterile cubicle.

Like I said its a lifestyle choice, like any other. Humans were never meant to be sitting static at a desk half the day, its just become the social norm, like many other odd daily functions. I always thought desks should have been designed for the humans using them, and less for machines we plop on them.

For the first 6 years of my 10 years in the industry I sat too, so I know what its like to almost doze off after your heavy lunch, run out for coffee to stay up, feel lethargic after work from no physical output, etc.... Unlike the chair co.'s, gyms, crossfit fad diets, I am not trying to make a buck off anyone touting a fad, just hear to tell my experiences and observations. Its up to you, get slowly sick (frog in the pot analogy), or make some sustainable life choices that will only benefit you in the current-and near future...I mean, have you seen some of the artists in our industry in our upper 30's-40's, ask them, would they have done anything differently, its up to you to listen and learn.

Well, i am an artist in my upper 30's and although i get what you are saying,i really do, but i find it very hard to believe that the treadmill is quieter than a tower, considering i cant hear mine at all and its a beast.
And that doesn't change the point that i feel that would very distracting in a working environment. but hey, if it works for you and your work mates. It wouldn't be anywhere near my office though, its just silly (i mean that in the politest way) and yes, i know that the fat artists who cant walk are silly too...

Also, none of us drink energy drinks, and i don't ever drink coffee

Thread Closed share thread