Job Searching Script

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Job Searching Script

So awhile back I was checking around on some studio's websites trying to see whats out there and how companies are doing, whos hiring, whos not, and whos growing etc etc. So I started to compile a long list of companies(who doesnt have one of these right?) and that list was getting so long that I was wasting dozens of hours just checking each site, and being the lazy one that I am I grew tired of this quickly. So! With a background in programming I came up with a script that would essentially look for positions for me... Alas! I have created a functional job searching script that searches nearly 100 companies in just a minute or two.

Heres a demo:

I haven't released it yet, I'm trying to finalize a couple things first but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to improve it by adding new functionality etc.

Things that I intend to add eventually include...
-Search by Location
-There was one more but it seems to have slipped my mind for the moment...

Also I apologize ahead of time if this is in the wrong forum, I had no idea where to put it, but it seems like it fit in the General Discussion. Kinda.

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any improvements in mind!

Cheers,
-Ryan

05 May 2013
That looks really handy Ryan.

Nice one!

05 May 2013
That looks like it could be super useful. One thing that might be nice to add, if possible, would be filtering by experience level required; say, exclude senior level positions.

05 May 2013
cool. cant wait for it to be released.

05 May 2013
This looks like a real time saver. Well done!
The only thing I can think of is the ability to enter comments or notes on the contacts themselves.

Cheers

05 May 2013
That is freaking awesome! Can't wait. I find that even spending a half hour or hour is not nearly enough time to go through companies websites, read the position and apply (or not as the case may be).

This should definitely take some of the guess work out of searching.

Great job sir.

One piece of functionality that might be nice, if possible is to add a little summary text of the located information. Hopefully most of the time that summary ends up being the job position. Though I understand that this can be hit or miss.

Cheers!

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Meloncov: That looks like it could be super useful. One thing that might be nice to add, if possible, would be filtering by experience level required; say, exclude senior level positions.

Hmmm after thinking about how to do this one, I think I came up with something =D What if instead of just returning the name of the company it returned the whole job position then the company.

For instance instead of "Method Studios" it would return "Matte Painter - Method Studios".

With that I can also sort through if you unchecked "senior" positions so I can have it exclude any of those from the reportings.

Originally Posted by Geta-Ve: That is freaking awesome! Can't wait. I find that even spending a half hour or hour is not nearly enough time to go through companies websites, read the position and apply (or not as the case may be).

This should definitely take some of the guess work out of searching.

Great job sir.

One piece of functionality that might be nice, if possible is to add a little summary text of the located information. Hopefully most of the time that summary ends up being the job position. Though I understand that this can be hit or miss.

Cheers!

Hmmmm, its difficult to bring something like that back because practically every website is different and lays out information in all sorts of places. What if I brought back the name of the position it found like I said above?

The one thing with bringing back the name of the position, is if there are multiple positions then I guess I'd have to bring them both back.

So instead of it bringing back "Method Studios", it would bring back

"Compositor - Method Studios"
"Senior Compositor- Method Studios"

I think that sounds pretty good, what do you guys think?

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Kanga: This looks like a real time saver. Well done!
The only thing I can think of is the ability to enter comments or notes on the contacts themselves.

Cheers

Hmmm what kind of notes would you enter, notes on the company? or on the job?

This sparked an idea, what if you could store the search results with a "History" feature. Allowing you to essentially compare results from a previous week, day etc. Which could be used to compare with the results you found today.

-Ryan

05 May 2013
Fantastic stuff Ryan.

The only thing I can think of (if it's not already possible) is having the ability to input our own companies to this great script?

Thanks for sharing, looks great.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by rZukoff: I think that sounds pretty good, what do you guys think?

Works for me. The script by itself is a huge time saver, but any additional information that the user can glean without having to load the tab is a bonus really.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by rZukoff: Hmmm what kind of notes would you enter, notes on the company? or on the job?

This sparked an idea, what if you could store the search results with a "History" feature. Allowing you to essentially compare results from a previous week, day etc. Which could be used to compare with the results you found today.

-Ryan

Yeah that sounds useful.
Maybe notes on whether you had contacted them, when and if there was a reaction, for example whether you should contact them again and how frequently. That could easily be a separate database but some check blocks that come up when you highlight the company could be helpful.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by IestynRoberts: Fantastic stuff Ryan.

The only thing I can think of (if it's not already possible) is having the ability to input our own companies to this great script?

Thanks for sharing, looks great.

Solid Idea, but you can manually input companies until the feature is implemented. A tutorial will be posted this weekend on how to do that and what to look for to make sure the website is searchable.

Thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it, great ideas I'm looking forward to implementing the features!

Cheers,
-Ryan

06 June 2013
My suggestion, stop looking for jobs and sell this job searching script instead.

06 June 2013
Any update on this script? Could sure use it right now... :P

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Geta-Ve: Any update on this script? Could sure use it right now... :P

Hehe, well I've ran into some... complications. Regarding the legality of the script. I stumbled on an article when I was researching some new techniques and I found there is actually a official name for what this is. Its called "Web Scraping". So I have stopped development and use of the script until I can better understand the laws behind it. It's a new issue that has arisen so based off of that, its kind of in a grey area and im trying to use caution and find out more before I release it for the world

I promise I'll let you know as soon as I can whether its usable or not.

Good luck with your search!
-Ryan

Last edited by rZukoff : 06 June 2013 at 04:05 PM.

Thread Closed share thread