CGTalk > Main Forums > General Discussion
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
StrykerOfChaos
portfolio
Cody Miracle
Indianapolis, USA

Portfolio Structure

Hello,

I am a 3D Modeling and Game Design student, with a heavier focus on 3D modeling. I have begun putting together my portfolio website, and at the moment I am trying to determine the best possible way to organize my portfolio. (Edit: It might be worth noting that I am building the site from scratch myself)

For example, I have not only Game Design projects, but modeling projects, and soon I'll also be doing Character Modeling and I also do rigging. What is the best way to divide all of this up into one portfolio site as far as categories? What is the general rule of thumb for minimum amount of content per category? I've only rigged two character models, so it seems a little small for it's own section, but I don't know if I would group it with others.

Should Character models and environment/asset modeling be separate? Should I have a section for 3D models and then have it divide from that point?

Any tips, suggestions, and overall advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by StrykerOfChaos : 05-27-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

Are you hoping to find work in Indy? There aren't many game studios in town. I've seen a few small groups that make mobile games, but that's all I know of.

If you want to find work around here, it would help to tailor your reel towards corporate work. Product renders, motion graphics, and educational materials are popular.

Are you at IUPUI by chance?

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 05-27-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
StrykerOfChaos
portfolio
Cody Miracle
Indianapolis, USA

I am actually attending IUPUI.

As far as finding work, I realize the studios around town focus on mobile development for the majority of their games. I'm hoping to get my portfolio together so I can either head out West somewhere, or at least start doing freelance work after I get a Professional Maya license.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

Are you working on a Media Arts and Sciences degree from the Infomatics school?

That's really not a bad degree if you want to get into corporate work. I know several people who did that program, and there doing everything from product rendering, training videos, and front end web programming. You'll need the degree to get past the HR filters at big companies, while game studios could care less about your degree.

As far as your site goes, did you want to use it as an example of your web programming skills, or did you just need a portfolio up and running?

-AJ

Old 05-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread