Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
Mystical13
n/a
3D Animator
NYC, USA

Job fair advice

Greetings!

This summer, I will be attending my very first job fair for animators and could use a little bit of advice from those who have attended some before.

1.) Do you bring demo reel DVDs and printed resumes with you? How many should I plan on bringing?
2.) I'm guessing plenty of business cards are a necessity, right? (probably a dumb question, but it never hurts to ask)
3.) Are interviews conducted at job fairs?
4.) I'm already working on another contract for 6 more months, is that too early to be interviewing at the fair?
5.) Is casual attire appropriate? (female)

Advice or suggestions are most definitely welcome! I've been working in the industry for a long time, but have been fortunate enough to work relatively steadily, so job fairs are uncharted territory for me. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Old 05-23-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
zzacmann
Shaved Monkey

portfolio
Zac Overcash
Animator
Vancouver, Canada

I've only been to a few but they've all been pretty casual, especially if they're for animation studios. No shorts and tank but also no need to wear a formal business suit/dress. You can't go wrong with just a nice pair of jeans/slacks and a nice shirt.

Number of demo reels just depends on how big the job fair is. I would probably take no less than 8 and no more than 15. Times a factor. Sometimes there may be more than 15 studios represented but after standing in lines to see them you only get to actually talk to a few. Business cards are weird. They kinda went completely out for a while and seemed completely unneccessary but now a lot of studios don't even want dvd reels anymore; all they want is an online reel, which brings business cards back into the realm of usefullness when you can put the address to your site and reel on the card. They can just check the card to get on your site right then and there on their phone or tablet.

From the fairs I've been to, they seem like more of an opportunity for you to interview them rather than them interview you. It gives you a chance to ask them questions to see if they're somewhere you'd be interested in working. So go in with lots of questions about the studios you want to talk to. Again, it depends on the fair, but I would say don't expect a full-fledge interview there on the spot, but don't be unprepared for one either.

Don't worry about the 6 month gig you're already doing. Between a studio being interested in you, hiring you, and you actually coming in to work the whole process could take months. I did the AM job fair in the summer of 2009 and a studio I met there called me a month later asking me if I'd be interested in working on an upcoming movie. Two months later they interviewed me. 2 months later they told me they wanted me but were in a temporary hiring freeze. 3 months later they actually hired me and 3 months after that I actually showed up for my first day of work. The whole thing from beginning to end took a year. Granted getting a job in games will probably go faster and in commercials it will happen over a matter of days instead of months so I guess it really just depends what you're going in for.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:27 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread