Damn, I thought it was CG. Damn, I thought it was real.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #46
Originally Posted by teruchan: I wish movies would do more blending of effects, like a robot that is practical when it is sitting there and then becomes CGI when it gets up and moves. I wish the transformers films would do more with the real truck driving up and then, without cutting, suddenly transform. That would blow me away, but they almost always cut and then transform in a new shot. I would love to see a robot, like in the Stallone Judge Dredd movie, enhanced by CGI for his walks etc. but still mostly practical. Blade Runner had practical, full sized flying cars that they maybe lifted on a crane or with cables, I don't know, but I would love to see that blend, without cutting, into a shot of it turning and flying off into the distance.

They already did that in the first film:

Note: Live-Action Megatron Hip and Legs Stand-in. Only his Upper Body is CGI in the interior sequence of Hoover Dam.

Old 05 May 2013   #47
That would be so agonizing if we need to wonder whether a scene is made by CG or not,there're so much movies every year,and there're so much shots could be CG,especially in Hollywood movies!
CG are becoming more and more realistic!

Old 05 May 2013   #48
Originally Posted by fablefox: Wikipedia is your friend...

This is my own guess but maybe the studio was personally owned, and with his death, its basically closed shop? And his family doesn't want his name to be used? Legacy FX is NOT Stan Winston Studio, it just a studio four of his supervisor founded. They can say that they are ex-supervisor of Stan Winston Studios, but I don't think they can say that they ARE ex-Stan Winston Studios with new names. There are legalities there somewhere...

No, I remember reading this article a while back and even the paper states that it's ridiculous calling themselves Legacy Effects yet not including Stan's name in it at all. That would be like changing Disney after his death without any reference to Disney. How would anyone know otherwise of their history without knowing prior what the company was called.

All I'm saying is they really shot themselves in the foot by not keeping the name. I know they want to not be in the shadow of Stan, as the article said, and make it on their own but it's about the recognition and fame that the original studio brought forth. As for their work it's still top notch just casual fans may not know who Legacy Effects is vs. Stan Winston Studio.

Here's the article:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/uncategorized/stan-winston-an/

By the way, the picture of Bumblebee as an actual life-size Transformer is awesome.

Old 05 May 2013   #49
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: They already did that in the first film:

Damn, I thought it was CG!
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06 June 2013   #50
What always got me is rotoscoping. What's the point of it? You film it and then trace over, is what I thought when I first saw it. Not sure when that was, maybe I think in a version of Lord of the Rings, not sure. I thought CG helped more with the work but surprised to find in the clip below that it only helps inbetweening?

Here's a link to software and person using it for one of my all time forgotten favourites "Waking Life"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgVNEuPYQ7Y

So I guess rotoscoping sits between real and not real, and people don't bother doing this anymore because it's too much work or something?

Jules

Old 06 June 2013   #51
Rotoscoping is a technique. Almost off topic because it never looks real. It looks 'stylized' at best. Probably best used when trying to blend live action with cartoon-like Snow White's dancing scenes.

Very 'look specific'. And if done to save money always looks that way imho.

And not to be confused with...
http://www.fxguide.com/featured/the...f_wire_removal/
Which has fooled us all I bet.

Last edited by circusboy : 06 June 2013 at 02:58 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #52
This is very confusing. I can't tell if the new E3 trailer for Watch Dogs is all CG or real and made to look like CG?

http://vimeo.com/67988814

Or maybe a hoax made by fans? Dunno.

Jules

Old 06 June 2013   #53
Originally Posted by Jules123: This is very confusing. I can't tell if the new E3 trailer for Watch Dogs is all CG or real and made to look like CG?

Jules

Woah. When that started, I thought it was definitely CG, but by halfway through, I have no idea, because parts of it (the black woman with the facial jewellery, in particular) look real. But then the guy in the cap and leather jacket with the gun looks totally CG.

*scratches head*

Old 06 June 2013   #54
Originally Posted by Jules123:

So I guess rotoscoping sits between real and not real, and people don't bother doing this anymore because it's too much work or something?

Jules

Oh people still do it. If you haven't seen the currently airing Aku no Hana (The Flowers of Evil) going on in Japan, and creating quite an uproar among fans, you haven't seen how great it can be done well, even combined with full motion CG backgrounds.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 06 June 2013   #55
Originally Posted by Jules123: This is very confusing. I can't tell if the new E3 trailer for Watch Dogs is all CG or real and made to look like CG?

Jules

Wow! This looks great! It almost looks like they used real plates with CG characters, but after pausing it, things don't look right. The El tracks are different, the street mediums are wrong, and I can't pick out where he's walking. It looks like he might be walking east at sunset past State and onto Wabash, or maybe its sunrise and hes walking past LaSalle and into Wells. The position of the El tracks also don't look right in the second shot. The tracks should be a full block away from either LaSalle or State. Either way, I used to live and work in downtown Chicago, and I think its pretty neat they decided to make a game that takes place there.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 06 June 2013 at 04:39 AM.

Old 06 June 2013   #56

Jules

Yeah that is the best I have seen so far specially the cloth was well done. It looked like the flesh of the actors was still a bit frozen to me though.

Lovely clip.

Old 06 June 2013   #57
It's all CG. Wait for the HD version

Old 06 June 2013   #58
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: It's all CG. Wait for the HD version

Really? At a time I think it look like real human, make-up a little bit to look toyish a little, and move like a 3d model in a game (parody wise). You know, like Michael Jackson dance or something. It's like an actor looks at Sim 3 game, and try to move like them or something.

And given an effect layer.

So it was all CG? Wow.

Old 06 June 2013   #59
Are we kidding here? Perhaps I am missing something. This looks real to people? Don't get me wrong. This is THEE best cinematic I have ever scene, and the most realistic, but I would be surprised if it fooled anyone. A couple of the security camera shots could maybe fool people, but on the whole, it still exhibits some of the problems we see with digital doubles in movies. The cloth and the rigging of joints in hands, for example, have that tell tale video game feeling, similar to some of the World War Z doubles.

There is a 1280x720 HD version on Game Trailers if people are still waiting for an HD trailer. I don't want to sound like I am not blown away, because I am definitely blown away, but this is still a game cinematic. I couldn't imagine thinking it is real. This makes me super excited for what we can expect from the next generation of game titles.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 06 June 2013   #60
Originally Posted by teruchan: Are we kidding here? Perhaps I am missing something. This looks real to people? Don't get me wrong. This is THEE best cinematic I have ever scene, and the most realistic, but I would be surprised if it fooled anyone. A couple of the security camera shots could maybe fool people, but on the whole, it still exhibits some of the problems we see with digital doubles in movies. The cloth and the rigging of joints in hands, for example, have that tell tale video game feeling, similar to some of the World War Z doubles.

Quoted for agreement.
With the exception of that black lady which looked fantastic, everything else looks like a high-end offline game engine. Surprised to read that this fooled people as real, with the biggest give-away for me, be the camera work; screams digital and CG...

Thread Closed share thread