The courses on CGSociety are incredible

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
The courses on CGSociety are incredible

OK, I don't work for anyone associated with this site, but I had to say this.
The courses on this site, though not cheap at all, are absolutely incredible. I've never found the amount of knowledge on a subject as extensive and real-world professional as I have with these. I use Digital Tutors and Gnomon workshop, both are great, I'd say Beginner to Intermediate. But the stuff on this site takes it to a whole other level, like being brought behind the Wizard of Oz curtain.

Good job, and great job to the instructors, taken 4 courses so far and every single one of them have been so helpful and responsive. I feel like they are really into what they do and want to share that passion. Worth every penny. I mean, some of them take time from their weekend to do live webinars as well! Never had that with an online course.

Even if you feel like, as I do in some of these, that its hard to keep up, just take the knowledge in. I plan on spending a while going back over the videos even after the course duration.

Sorry to use up a post, but wanted to share my experience with them to anyone whose on the fence about the cost for them , I'm just so impressed with what these folks offer.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
It's great to hear you're enjoying your courses so much. I'm currently in the middle of teaching my third one, and although it's quite a lot of work, as I provide individual video feedback to all my students on their assignment uploads, it's really satisfying to see how their work develops over the weeks. I've actually signed up to do a couple of other courses as as student myself too!

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Another thing I love with the instructors I've dealt with so far is, sounds like you approach it in the same manner, even if you're a bit behind they answer your questions and don't just ignore you.

I took one "live" course with a university ( remain nameless) a few years back and got stuck in a part and it was almost as if the instructor didn't have any time for me. I felt like it was my fault i was behind and I kinda just dropped out participating. Here is a different story, everyone cares. Its awesome.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Originally Posted by pipdixel: Another thing I love with the instructors I've dealt with so far is, sounds like you approach it in the same manner, even if you're a bit behind they answer your questions and don't just ignore you.

I took one "live" course with a university ( remain nameless) a few years back and got stuck in a part and it was almost as if the instructor didn't have any time for me. I felt like it was my fault i was behind and I kinda just dropped out participating. Here is a different story, everyone cares. Its awesome.

I am an instructor myself, and I recognize what you are saying: class size varies from course to course - any number over 12, and it becomes much harder to give each student the attention they deserve (in my experience). One problem with classes taught at universities is often the large number of students, making it impossible to create a workshop-like feel and quality.

I participated in a class at iAnimate, and it was a wonderful educational experience - one of the best I have ever had. When I am forced by a school/college/university to teach 24 students or more at a time I almost always feel a sense of guilt knowing they would (probably) be better off at a school where the class sizes are restricted to a max of 12 people. Of course, I cannot mention that to them, since that would be a breach of my contractual agreement.

Another issue with all the competition among schools is that I often notice that some students should be attending another school/college based on my experience with them, but again I have to keep my mouth shut about that. The potential of those stidents more often than not remains unreleased, which would not have been the case if he/she had attended the course at the other school, and vice versa.

This is the hardest part of being a teacher in a commercial educational environment: seeing all that potential going untapped, and knowing those few students should be switching schools. But not being able to tell them (because I would be out of a job in a snap).

It would be amazing if schools, colleges, and universities would work together on assisting their students with getting the best education on a personal basis, rather than focusing on the financial bottom line.

Yes, I am an idealist by nature and heart (which is probably why I teach) ;-)

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Also in Universities there can be students who aren't really dedicated, a lot of people get into it only kind of interested without any experience before starting the class and it can be hard to deal with half the class not knowing anything.

These online classes are really nice since the people that do them really want to learn the subject material.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
In my own experience, the University's over promise flexibility with online courses. ..

It was advertised, at the time, as a "you're own pace" mentoring program for working professionals. I don't think they told the instructor that, because if you fell behind and wanted to catch up there was no mentoring. It was just course notes with a discussion for 20 mins via phone, if you had a question about a past subject you were told there was no time to review previous material one on one. Bad experience overall.

Not the case with these courses.
I'll be honest, I'm in one right now that I'll probably fall behind on because I double booked myself with another one...but I still get my questions answered, and having access to the videos and the group forum is also worth the money.

My only , only wish was that you knew when and if the next class was happening, I didn't want to miss this one class over the other since no one could tell me when and if it'll run again. So I can't participate in one to the full extent...also due a lot to the fact that I'm working more than I expected this month, not a bad thing I guess, however, didn't want to miss the videos either. So, there's that.

Last edited by pipdixel : 05 May 2013 at 01:00 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Originally Posted by pipdixel: OK, I don't work for anyone associated with this site, but I had to say this.
The courses on this site, though not cheap at all, are absolutely incredible. I've never found the amount of knowledge on a subject as extensive and real-world professional as I have with these. I use Digital Tutors and Gnomon workshop, both are great, I'd say Beginner to Intermediate. But the stuff on this site takes it to a whole other level, like being brought behind the Wizard of Oz curtain.

Good job, and great job to the instructors, taken 4 courses so far and every single one of them have been so helpful and responsive. I feel like they are really into what they do and want to share that passion. Worth every penny. I mean, some of them take time from their weekend to do live webinars as well! Never had that with an online course.

Even if you feel like, as I do in some of these, that its hard to keep up, just take the knowledge in. I plan on spending a while going back over the videos even after the course duration.

Sorry to use up a post, but wanted to share my experience with them to anyone whose on the fence about the cost for them , I'm just so impressed with what these folks offer.

Wow - that just made my day! One of the reasons I love my job is that we get to bring a quality, practical, useful level of education to people all over the world who wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity. I'll forward your post to our instructors in the next update email I send to them - as you know they work incredibly hard, and feedback like this is music to their ears. Thanks for taking the time to give it

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Are the live webinars all recorded so in case a student miss a class, he/she can still catch up?
I'm interested in paying for the courses but there are not much related to 3ds Max

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Originally Posted by MissOptimist: Are the live webinars all recorded so in case a student miss a class, he/she can still catch up?
I'm interested in paying for the courses but there are not much related to 3ds Max

Hi MissOptimist, yes, all the webinars are recorded.

In answer to your other questions, there are a few workshops which have videos in both Max and Maya - if you'd like to email me I can let you know whether the ones you're interested in cover Max.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Can you add a little preview of each course on the signup page or maybe some work from them? The weekly breakdown is there to see but other than that there's not much else if you want to get an idea of the work or feel or the course.

There's a couple I'd have signed up for if I could get a sense of what it's like but after being burnt by some shocking online courses before I'm cautious.

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Been burnt as well, main reason I spoke up.

Old 05 May 2013   #12
I'd definitely took Leigh course if I had enough free time. And I would suggest any aspiring or professional texturer, I'm sure you can learn heaps first-hand from such a master.

Old 05 May 2013   #13
Well it's very kind of you to call me a master, but I consider myself a perpetual student, even when I'm teaching There's always something to learn for absolutely everyone.

Old 05 May 2013   #14
Originally Posted by PaulAdams: Can you add a little preview of each course on the signup page or maybe some work from them? The weekly breakdown is there to see but other than that there's not much else if you want to get an idea of the work or feel or the course.

There's a couple I'd have signed up for if I could get a sense of what it's like but after being burnt by some shocking online courses before I'm cautious.

Trailers/summaries have been discussed, and I know that if I'll cobble together another workshop I'll most likely want to do one, although previous runs of mine were always fully seated, I think it's good to both enthuse and relax the people coming to it.

That said, when in doubt you can always just post in here and ask if anybody took the previous run of a workshop and what they thought of it.
Quality wise I'd expect all the names involved to be more than competent and dedicated enough (and have had no reason to think otherwise yet from all I heard about the current roster), but I think it's a fair enough concern whether the actual details of he curriculum line up with your expectations in terms of tone, pace and actual details, something that even with a more thorough content list and trailer/presentation might not come across.

IE: Rob's better artist thingy had some reviews/comments here in GD that I think shed a fair bit of light on how he operates and why the workshop was so well received multiple times that you can't possibly garner from anything other than hearing previous alumni discuss it.

Old 05 May 2013   #15
Originally Posted by PaulAdams: Can you add a little preview of each course on the signup page or maybe some work from them? The weekly breakdown is there to see but other than that there's not much else if you want to get an idea of the work or feel or the course.

Hey Paul.

Yes, we can And we should probably have done this earlier - give us a month or so to get this organised. Thank you for a great suggestion - please email me on kirsty@ballisticmedia.net to let me know which workshops you're interested in and I'd be happy to let you know more. I'd also like to give you access to one of our CGTODS for giving us some very useful feedback.

Thread Closed share thread