3DSMax running in HTML5

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
3DSMax running in HTML5

This seems pretty significant and makes the Adobe debacle look like a dust-devil compared to this potential tornado. The video is lacking any other info and should be taken at face value, whatever that may be. :-/

Here's a write-up on it. (pdf file)

Old 05 May 2013   #2
It's worth pointing out that, while impressive, the apparent focus on 3DS max in this video made it hugely mis-leading to a lot of people.

What is shown is NOT a max client running in html5 or anything similar, nor the impressive bit is that it's 3DSMax at all.

What the video is basically about is remote control of a virtualized client.

Basically no different than running max on Mac in parallels, but with the virtualization part done on a server somewhere, and then the results encoded and streamed in realtime and the interaction fed back.

I have been doing a similar thing from my android tablet to drive my workstation from my couch two rooms away for years.

What is impressive about this video is twofold: 1) the codec and the speed and result of the encoding is amazing, the stream is low footprint, not to mention it's a push for open-ness, and the decoding is done entirely in the browser, which is even more impressive. 2) it basically allows remoting anything on top of open standards and from an OSS browser, as it relies on a "simple" virtualization on the other end.

They could have shown any DCC software, or practically anything, really.

The concept itself is nothing new at all, if you worked in a large shop running on linux chances are you have used some windows app or another virtualized on a remote server before (right now I have a windows remote virtual machine with a couple things running in it on my other monitor).
The fact the feed and the decoding are html5 and JS is the amazing bit.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
well, it's safe to say that it's a lot faster than running Max in Parallels - which works great (I do it to convert stock models for Maya) but it's limited to 8-cores and the GPU viewport navigation isn't as fast as native Windows. Ya, it's just cloud rendering but it makes a good demo

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a most impressive demo, I just find the max bit misleading given the key point of this is probably even more relevant than just the gimmick of running max in a browser.

What this represents for video on the web in general, and as a milestone in what's possible with html5+JS, combined with the fact it's all riding along OSS and open standard friendly companies and initiatives, is a lot more interesting than just the fact you can virtualize max somewhere else

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Will they make a version you can use instead of remote desktop for local purposes?

I hate running dcc app's via remote desktop since it only supports software opengl...

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Remote desktop mostly render locally a stream of the desktop, which is why they often have limitations.
This streams a video, which means any functionality that can be run virtualized will be available.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: Remote desktop mostly render locally a stream of the desktop, which is why they often have limitations.
This streams a video, which means any functionality that can be run virtualized will be available.

But do you think this needs some massive infrastructure on the server side? or could this be something people could use on local networks?

Old 05 May 2013   #8
I'd imagine it'd be pretty accessible, but the key thing here is what they are doing in the browser, not server side

You can already remote easily enough anything that can be windowed, IE: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/0...ote-and-warspe/

But insofar those were always strict app2app things. This one allows decoding and feedback purely in firefox, and the encoding serving side seems pristine and fast.

Old 05 May 2013   #9
I've actually controlled 3D Max on a work computer from home over remote desktop and through a browser about 5 years ago. I don't recall the name of the system, but I imagine it was using Java or Flash. It works, and its a great way to check renders, but the small latency when you click can really slow you down. I'm sure its just a matter of bandwidth and video compression to make it work well.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread