reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 05-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #31
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

Good move Adobe put something into place that nobody wants to use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featu...d&v=s-hYc_SEDqw

Old 05-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #32
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

Quote:
"Hitman" seems to cooperate with Vegas like Premiere with AFX.

I think you mean hitfilm...

Old 05-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #33
cgntoonartist

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis7654
Does anyone know good alternatives for motion graphics?

Apple Motion
Avid Motion Graphics

Old 06-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #34
Zendorf
synapse farmer
portfolio
James Redmond
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM
I think you mean hitfilm...

Yeah, I think hitman is what we need for the Adobe CEO

Hitfilm is really the only viable layer based alternative at the moment , but it still falls quite short of AE in terms of workflow. I purchased a license when version 2 came out, and although it has some very nice tools, I found the workflow and lack of flexibility made it unusable for me in its current state. Hopefully the devs will listen to the requests from the pro users since it is very hobby-vfx orientated at the moment.

Btw, the Hitfilm Mac Kickstarter was successful which means that it will be out on mac later this year. This also means that any hopes I have for v3 will probably be a long time coming, since the Mac version will be eating up a lot of their time.

There is also a revamp of the VSE (video editor) for Blender coming up in the GSOC. Hopefully there will be integration with the node editor which would be potentially an awesome workflow...layers + nodes...

Old 06-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #35
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

I don't think Sai has been mentioned either, but that's what all the kids here seem to be using instead of Photoshop.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 06-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #36
cgntoonartist

Updated Adobe Alternatives List!!!

Old 06-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #37
rendermaniac
Simon Bunker
Shader Writer / TD
Australia

There is definitely some nice stuff in Blender, but also some rough edges. I think the Compositor is one of them. I tried using it recently, but my machine locked up from memory leaks that made it unusable.

The Video Editor is not bad, although you do need to know too many shortcuts to move stuff around (which happens a lot with Blender inserting clips at the mouse position), and the lack of clip bins is a big omission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDay
The amazing thing about Blender is that it has become "crazy good" as of late. This is not an understatement. We used to not be able to take it seriously back when it didnt even have ngon support and a funky UI... but now its almost like its a completely different application.

I also found Maya easier to learn, but then Blender added a Maya keyset, as well as an easy way to change hotkeys. Now that you can "normalize" the control scheme, it is perhaps one of the better 3d modeling applications out there, it has a great node based rendering engine (2 in fact), retopology tools, digital sculpting thats somewhere between mudbox and zbrush (its actually quite good), highly customizable interface, 100's of addons/plug ins, and even some powerful though tough to get used to UV tools. The built in compositor makes it easy to render out different maps and blend them together and its particle system, while simple, pumps out some pretty darn good results....and despite all this, every single day something new is either added or put on the development list.

Its only a couple of months between releases as well, and at the rate they are going...its putting a lot of other applications to shame. Over all it could easily be considered commercial quality at this point, and with those maya/3dsmax keymaps (presented on splash screen) the user wont have to fight too hard with the controls. This means its pretty easy to learn now.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:49 AM   #38
moogaloonie
Expert
portfolio
Casey R Williams
Lansignum Studios
Morgantown, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxmoony

Illuststudio: http://www.celsys.co.jp/en/products/illuststudio/

- Packed with features, this is also a really powerful software. It has many of the capabilities of Photoshop and other Japanese drawing applications such as Manga studio, SAI, OC, etc. Definitely worth a look.

I can't find any way to download or purchase from that page though.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:03 AM   #39
cgntoonartist

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogaloonie
I can't find any way to download or purchase from that page though.

illuststudio is the pretty much the same as Manga Studio. Made by the same people.
illuststudio is the Japanese version.

Manga Studio is awesome!!!
http://manga.smithmicro.com/mangastudio5/

Old 06-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #40
pomru
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgntoonartist
illuststudio is the pretty much the same as Manga Studio. Made by the same people.
illuststudio is the Japanese version.

Manga Studio is awesome!!!
http://manga.smithmicro.com/mangastudio5/

Actually, Illuststudio is on its way out. The successor is Clip Studio Paint (which has been localized to English as Manga Studio 5)

Old 06-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #41
Crotalis
Expert
portfolio
Jason
Designer
upper uncton ..., USA

Quote:
under your indesign alternatives defo put CorelDraw (windows) i 've used it for years and it's quite capable for document layouts, packaging design etc, so is Xara pro

cresshead -

I would like to switch over to CorelDraw but we have found that it causes issues with things like large format digital printing or anything that involves a digital rip queue. Have you had any experience with those situations? I'd be interested in hearing possible solutions (since we couldn't find any).

Oh snap. Cress - I just realized you listed it as an InDesign alternative. Can CD do multi-page spreads with master pages, etc.?

Also, I would second, third and fourth the Vegas suggestion and add the fact that it has really good audio tools built in as well. Much better (imo) than what you get with Premiere.

For motion graphics - Someone recommended Apple Motion. I would say that it is nowhere near production ready yet and Apple is not likely to sink too much development muscle into it. On the other hand, it's not very expensive at all so trying it out won't hurt you too bad if it ends up not working for you.

Last edited by Crotalis : 06-03-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #42
cgntoonartist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomru
Actually, Illuststudio is on its way out. The successor is Clip Studio Paint (which has been localized to English as Manga Studio 5)

You are correct. Thanks for clarifying this!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #43
Phrenzy84
phunky Buddha

portfolio
Andrew Browne
Modeler
London, United Kingdom

I didnt see anyone reference it but here is the roadmap for Gimp.

http://wiki.gimp.org/index.php/Roadmap

Old 06-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #44
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
This might be interest for those looking for a Photoshop alternative
http://www.madewithmischief.com/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #45
cgntoonartist

SOFTWARE DEALS & SPECIAL OFFERS!!!

SPECIAL OFFERS!!!
Awesome special deal for Adobe users to get Xara Designer Pro X at a special discount!
http://www.xara.com/us/graphics/alternative-software/

Awesome special deal for Adobe users to get Corel software at a special discount!
http://corelblogs.wordpress.com/201...lcome-cs-users/

(IF ANYONE KNOW ABOUT ANY OTHR SPECIAL OFFERS, PLEASE POST THEM HERE)

reply share thread