RIDDICK trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
RIDDICK trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tDxDEjDMreA#!

Really can't wait for this.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Hmm, this is neat and all but it feels like such a scaling back after the last movie. Yet that movie was way too much. I guess I hoped they would find more of a happy medium.

This feels like a lot of retreading to me. Planet, darkness, creatures, him captive, him not captive in order to help with the monsters.

It's like Pitch Black and a Half. Or sort of Evil Dead 2 to Evil Dead (original Raimi versions). Or maybe Tremors 3? I dunno.

It could be enjoyable still in a "badass dudes doing lots of badass dude stuff" way, but it feels like a mini series or one shot side issue story of a comic instead of a big main story I guess.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Originally Posted by hypercube: Hmm, this is neat and all but it feels like such a scaling back after the last movie. Yet that movie was way too much. I guess I hoped they would find more of a happy medium.

This feels like a lot of retreading to me. Planet, darkness, creatures, him captive, him not captive in order to help with the monsters.

It's like Pitch Black and a Half. Or sort of Evil Dead 2 to Evil Dead (original Raimi versions). Or maybe Tremors 3? I dunno.

It could be enjoyable still in a "badass dudes doing lots of badass dude stuff" way, but it feels like a mini series or one shot side issue story of a comic instead of a big main story I guess.

I think I read somewhere they are giving the fans what they want, which is more Pitch Black than Chronicles. I'd have been happy either way but there sure is something compelling about surviving in a hostile alien environment. I'm a sucker for the creature design in these films, so damn cool.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Wait, was this the trailer or the whole movie?

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Originally Posted by BrainFreeze: Wait, was this the trailer or the whole movie?

Yes, I have to agree. What in the hell are they thinking showing such a long trailer. Do they not want people to go and watch it anymore?

Old 05 May 2013   #6
WHat happened to the whole Furion thing. Dunno, probably will wait till Bluray for this.

MY HMC

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Looks cool, but thanks for saving me $10, trailer editors.

Old 05 May 2013   #8
The trailer I saw was only two and a half minutes. Didn't seem like more than a basic idea of the movie to me. Still, I thought part three was supposed to be about going into the Underverse mentioned in part two to save that girl? Seeing that is still written and directed by David Twohy, who did the first two, I guess they decided to scrap that idea.

I am kind of glad. I thought the failure of part two killed the series. I guess DVD sales and Vin Diesel returning to popularity in Fast and Furious sequels makes this viable. Like part 2, though, I am guessing they will miss the mark again going PG-13 on something that should definitely be R rated.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Honestly the trailer didn't spoil the movie any more than a summary could.

Riddick faces off against a team of bounty hunters, until they're forced to work together to fight a greater danger threatening them all.

Done. Not the most original story from what I've seen. But there might be more to it than we think.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 05 May 2013   #10
A lot of people say not nice things about the Chronicles movie, but one thing it tries to do fairly successfully, in my opinion, is to show a large science-fiction universe. It's story spans about as many "alien realms" as a Star Wars movie.

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Originally Posted by Stankluv: A lot of people say not nice things about the Chronicles movie, but one thing it tries to do fairly successfully, in my opinion, is to show a large science-fiction universe. It's story spans about as many "alien realms" as a Star Wars movie.

The scope and scale and especially production design reminded me a lot of David Lynch's DUNE, which also unfortunately ended up a train wreck like Chronicles did, just in a different way.

I admire the ambition of it, and the whole 80s scifi vibe, but a lot of the rest was a hot mess, like they just wanted to have X or Y happen on screen and didn't fill in the blanks properly to get there.

That happens in a lot of movies, even many this year and some I am looking forward to seeing, but still doesn't make it okay.

Old 05 May 2013   #12
Post Isnt Riddick a...

I mean im trying to look up the story on his race he is known as a Furion right?

Old 05 May 2013   #13
Being interested in characters and their design Riddick is one of the few that fits properly. I am not especially a Vin Diesel fan but when I think of Riddick as a character, Diesel emanates what I imagine the character to be. This film looks like it is going to be amazing. I loved the Chronicles and I am sure this new one will be a ripper. Nice to see the Galactica lass in there as well.

I thought Dune was a brilliant book and enjoyed it greatly as I did the film in the dim and distant past. I reckon I must be a train wreck lover then

Old 05 May 2013   #14
Yeah, both chronicles and dune are train wrecks, and I loved both

I seem to be in the minority though liking chronicles more than I did pitch black.

While I admire what both the crew and DNeg back then did for the budget, pitch black was the way it was because of that budget. Going back to it intentionally with a higher budget... well, it doesn't quite have the same feeling of ingenuity or the same consistency, and it's not working for me.

I was hoping for a power crazed Riddick taking on the universe and shedding the feel good sentimental stuff they introduced, but I would have been almost as satisfied with a Dantean visit to the Underverse with Virgil equivalent, because they have proven they can do production design, and I really want to see a cheesy sci-fi rendition of Dante's Inferno one day.
I mean, seriously, how F'in hard can it be to realize that the Inferno is one of the greatest books ever written, and that it would lend itself to a goth sci-fi rendition perfectly?!

I'll probably watch this, but it seems a bit lukewarm, neither here nor there right now, with none of the unapologetic tones of the first two.

Old 05 May 2013   #15
I wanted to find out what happened after the takeover he accomplished to end the last movie, which I actually think improves with repeat viewings. I'll be checking this out though.

Thread Closed share thread