Do you think Facebook has eroded away the sudience for CG specific sites?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Do you think Facebook has eroded away the sudience for CG specific sites?

I'm not a fan Facebook after early experiences with MySpace years ago and think it's too general purpose in it's overall layout and function but a lot of people swear by Facebook and insist that it's the site for virtually everything social or social/professional.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
I only use Facebook for "social" stuff (aka, find old school friends, etc). I didn't even have a Facebook profile till I was forced to when I was developing a game for it.

Out of curiosity, I joined several CG groups, and was immediately bombarded with loads of crap, right into my timeline.

This also applies to Linkedin. While more professional than Facebook, if you dare join a group...you will start getting 10 mails a day of John showing you his latest Sephiroth (sp?) 3d model.

I still prefer forums, as I can choose what to see and when. And while you can block out stuff in Facebook or Linkedin...why join a group if you are going to block it anyway?

That's my two cents.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
I spend a fair bit of time on facebook groups. Definitely seen a migration from forums.
I dont get emails--I just check the group for updates when I feel like it.

I prefer the traditional forum--facebook is like having a door open to a main street and every type of weirdo can walk by and screw around with you.
I have met wackos on regular forums--but the most rude were on facebook.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
I think it has. I've run into 3 or 4 other people from Indiana on this site, but the big Indiana 3D group on Facebook has over 300 members, and its reasonably active. I think people also use it to communicate with their current and ex co workers. I know several people who used to post here, but now just use Facebook, Linkedin and Twitter to keep in touch with other artist.

-AJ

Old 05 May 2013   #5
no, b/c even if you are on facebook and go to the sites most sites are for advertising and putting out info on a faster and larger scale for others to see.

even though you may be there you can be ignored just as easy. it's easy for finding contacts but not much else unless you are on a dedicated area to your own group.

it is not an ease of use ability to show off as much as a blog or a place like this where you can really dress up a portfolio.

most don't see facebook as a place for business and with its ever changing policies it will not be.

RainOnPluto my deviant art site.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Originally Posted by PhilipeaNguyen: I'm not a fan Facebook after early experiences with MySpace years ago and think it's too general purpose in it's overall layout and function but a lot of people swear by Facebook and insist that it's the site for virtually everything social or social/professional.

Not so much from the major ones as sites in general, also because practically all the major ones hook into FB, twitter and so on, but it has undeniably taken away from traditional forums, much like forums took away from newsgroups back then, which took from mailing lists and so on.

It's not just facebook though, as much as the incresing and trivialized availability of personal websites and networks of them (blogs and similar things), various social medias based on linking and so on. The whole internet panorama has changed drastically in the last 5 years.

It's just the ebb and flow of communication and how people aggregate and interact.
I am still undecided on whether the people lost from forums to facebook alone were people we would have wanted to hold onto as regular participants given the atmosphere in the average craft or art specifc FB group

For me FB is strictly for friends and family and some hobbies, I much prefer it here to interact with the community at large, mailing lists for some subsets of the community, and a mix of feedly and twitter for professional related news and tidbits, and some people of interest.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
The short answer is Yes.

I don't if would use the word erode, but social media sites and services can definitely help broadened the reach of artists to people and even businesses that might have otherwise never seen an artists work/portfolio. Before MySpace flamed out I made a number of connections there as well as landing a nice gig in mobile work I would not have otherwise.

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Originally Posted by secretasianman: no, b/c even if you are on facebook and go to the sites most sites are for advertising and putting out info on a faster and larger scale for others to see.

even though you may be there you can be ignored just as easy. it's easy for finding contacts but not much else unless you are on a dedicated area to your own group.

it is not an ease of use ability to show off as much as a blog or a place like this where you can really dress up a portfolio.

most don't see facebook as a place for business and with its ever changing policies it will not be.

Well maybe not in the 3D production world, but there are tons of consumer brands that use Facebook as a vital cog in their marketing. Even film and video game distributors are using a Facebook page over a custom URL to promote the product. Lots of local business advertise on it as well.

I think Ballistic might try to better incorporate Facebook in the new redesign, so maybe that might help draw people back to the site. I'm no expert, but I think "Liking" something is a popular way of promoting stuff, but I don't see any thumbs up buttons on this site.

-AJ

Old 05 May 2013   #9
CGS already has a very well frequented, constantly updated facebook page that does a good job of bringing people from there to here. It's also being increasingly used to promote content turn-around to those who already part of our eco-system, but spend more time there than here.

I think as it is now it's a pretty decent soft spot of using FB to make sure this website has a window on it, but not so much the other way around that it would fragment the userbase across the FB and forum divide.
It's also dangerous to move back and forth too much as we still want a certain atmosphere and environment here that's a little bit more high brow than a fully open window would start pumping into the site (and I'm hating the definition as I type it, but for want of a better word...)

A straight like button -would- get more traffic here and allow things to go viral, but that's a double edged sword.
Going viral on FB and then consequently making it as a hotlink on reddit can easily take a chain of servers down and bring A LOT of unrelated trolls into the picture in a heartbeat. It's good, I feel, that CGS chose to use it unilaterally and in moderation.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Originally Posted by richcz3: The short answer is Yes.

I don't if would use the word erode, but social media sites and services can definitely help broadened the reach of artists to people and even businesses that might have otherwise never seen an artists work/portfolio. Before MySpace flamed out I made a number of connections there as well as landing a nice gig in mobile work I would not have otherwise.

I'd say yes. There is a lot of groups that

1) don't even bother updating their website
2) totally shut down their .org websites

right after having a facebook page/group.

I think it's due to everything in one place thingy. Imagine being a hobbyist 3d game developer:

1) you need to be in a member of game engine group
2) you need to be in a member of game development news site group
3) you need to be in a 3d gfx group
4) you need to be in a 2d gfx group (for gui menu and what not)
5) you need to be in a country specific group for support / networking
6) you need to be in a software(s) group

In short, facebook allows all the news to be centralized to your facebook account. There will always users that spam the group (like that 3d model of sephiroth thing) but I think you can block individual user or something.

What I can say is that for certain *country*, ehem, IGDA local chapter, never even bother to re-do their website after getting 'injected'. After what, half a year or something, they just point the igda.org.<country> to that particular facebook page. So if you have a local chapter of an international group does that, so yeah, facebook will replace real website for quite a while...

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Good points, Raffael. Thanks again for taking time to dispel my rambling non-sense.

[rant]
I haven't been on my Facebook account since around '09, so I'm a little out of touch in the ways of The Facebook. I'm not a big fan of the site, so I'm doing my small part by staying off it. Not that I dislike the site or anything, I just don't like the universal acceptance it has, almost to the point where its "strange" for someone my age here in the states not to have a FB account. People often ask for your Facebook account or your Linkedin profile rather than your phone number nowadays.
[/rant]

I'll stop rambling on now, and get back to my web programmings and 3D modeling stuff.

-AJ

Old 05 May 2013   #12
Maybe it happened. There are lot of people on FB.
I myself am not a big fan of facebook pages. Communication quality looks way better on forums, and web casual chat is definitely not for me (I like better to grab a beer and chatting with real people, whenever I'm in the mood).
Besides, if you keep the fences of a FB page high, you betray the very spirit of the social. On the other side, no or too little moderation calls in all sort of crap.
My opinion is that the best is a FB page driving to a high quality traditional site: best of both worlds.

So...this is the victory we longed for.

Old 05 May 2013   #13
[rant]Quit Facebook in '09 as well and watched my productivity increase. Perhaps I have a tendency to procrastinate and can't control myself but the less sites that I "have" to check up on every day the better. Especially the ones that have friends and groups spamming your page with memes and liking each other to death.[/rant]
Not sure how long forums and things like IRC for stuff like CG still have but I suppose they are more underground now than they used to be. OTOH, sites like StackOverflow its sister sites are proving that forums can evolve too, no need for "give us all your privacy" nonesense.

Old 05 May 2013   #14
Forums in general have been declining in popularity (especially with young people) since before Facebook. Bebo was much more popular with kids and young people, and they are now young adults and naturally gravitating to Facebook instead of forums. It's all Facebook and Youtube now.
Of all the people in my age group who use Facebook, I think I am the only one using forums also. Even that is only because my Dad admins a motorcycle forum and I grew up with that, otherwise I would probably be on Facebook and Youtube only.

Old 05 May 2013   #15
It's not a case of Facebook specifically eroding CG sites, it's more a case of the web changing. Things have become more individual-centric, as opposed to group-centric. Blogs and Facebook are most people's portals to the web these days.

Personally I still prefer forums though. I use Facebook with my friends and a few acquaintances and I have a page for my photography (as I do music photography0, and it's useful to tag bands in your photos to get your photos seen by people), but I don't belong to any CG groups there at all, because I don't really want that stuff cluttering up my feed, plus I kinda get everything I need with regards to CG here on CGTalk.

Thread Closed share thread