Old 05-14-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Merida Redesign Fallout - Brenda Chapman reacts to character's design change

Source: Yahoo! Movies

Princess Merida was redesigned by Disney prior to her induction into the "Disney Princess" product line.

Among the changes are a more glamorous "set" hairdo, eyeliner, higher cheekbones, a slimmer waist, and a shoulderless dress with glittering trim.

She also stops carrying around her Bow and Arrow.

Brenda Chapman, and a number of fans of "Brave" were put-off by the changes.

Quote:
“I think it's atrocious what they have done to Merida,” Chapman said in a letter to her local newspaper, the Marin Independent Journal.

“When little girls say they like it because it's more sparkly, that's all fine and good but, subconsciously, they are soaking in the sexy 'come hither' look and the skinny aspect of the new version. It's horrible!

“Merida was created to break that mould - to give young girls a better, stronger role model, a more attainable role model, something of substance, not just a pretty face that waits around for romance.”

The Scottish princess, voiced by Kelly Macdonald in the film, is now among the 'Disney Princess' franchise, the merchandising banner which includes various princesses from the Disney films, including the likes of Snow White, Cinderalla, Aurora and more recently Mulan and Rapunzel, as featured in 'Tangled'.

Could it be that the "redesign" is really down to the limitations of the "Disney Princess" artist?

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 05-14-2013 at 02:53 AM.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #2
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Her face got funnier. Her proportion got worse. But I like that piece of cloth on her waist.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:45 AM   #3
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

I have wondered if some of the stuff seen as design changes are just the bland homogenization that whoever the artist for the Disney Princess line usually does.

If you look at the other princesses, they are mostly intact but they are also not that well drawn and lack a lot of their original style and are in some cases way off model even for 2D.

There are obvious and outright design changes but some of it may be unintentional.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Hmmm... The ones who were in more revealing dresses in their original forms are more covered up in the redesign... And the ones who wore more conservative dresses suddenly get all these revealing tops.

Weird.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:37 AM   #5
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

The entire concept of "princess role models for girls" kinda makes my stomach turn.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
Andrewty07
lifelong scholar of art

portfolio
Andrew Prewett
Animator
walnut creek, USA

Brave was Brenda Chapman's precious IP initially so I understand her frustration. I have seen and heard quite a few stories where artists produce a work but the owner/client goes a different way or ignores that original vision. I agree that it is a bit of a let down seeing the typical "girlie" presentation of the character like the other Disney princesses. The original character was meant to provide a unique Disney-esque role favoring stronger traits instead of the typical princes role. There is a clash in the design with the character as she has been defined given how you see her on screen when forced to dress up for her mother.

I don't know that the marketing design merits such attention to the degree of the petition being signed by so many, I just agree that the transition clashes with the original character's ethos. Disney originally has presented itself as a guardian or sorts for characters which is why Lucasfilm/arts was willing to let them take them under the wing. They are in the business of managing and milking IP's as sound as possible so I suppose it's expected that they would see a target group and hone the product in that direction for revenue. I bet that the girlie brave version sells just fine even though a few may grumble that they ignore the character's traits.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
LuckyBug
Building worlds

portfolio
Star Lord
DMP Environment Artist
MPC London
London, United%2BKingdom

I dunno she looks kinda gipsy in that dress.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
TheThidMan
Expert

portfolio
Hugh Wyeth
Visualisation Artist
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
The entire concept of "princess role models for girls" kinda makes my stomach turn.

You'd think after Brave they'd be more interested in interesting female leads rather than bland stereotypes.

Gothic Cathedral Work in Progress
Flickr

Old 05-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
JoshBowman
Life's More Than What U C

portfolio
Joshua Bowman
Animation Lecturer/Student
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThidMan
You'd think after Brave they'd be more interested in interesting female leads rather than bland stereotypes.

Bland stereotypes sell well internationally, no personality means no cultural or personality clashes.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

What's funny is compared to the character development in something like ParaNorman, Merida is kind of a bland stereotype, she's so stereotypically "challenging the stereotype".

A headstrong tomboy daughter who learns to balance both sides of herself? GROUNDBREAKING.

At least she didn't arbitrarily end up with a prince at the end, or end up needing a bunch of rescuing, she remained capable throughout, I really appreciated that. I suppose that is progress at the Princess Factory.

Even though she was just a regular wife and not a princess, I think Helen Parr is a better character, and could kick all their asses. Even Cowgirl Jessie had more layers. How about princess EVA?

Old 05-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
Charkins
Digital Handyman

portfolio
Christopher Harkins
Lead CG Artist
Kitestring
Louisville, USA

I think the changes are dumb, but that's their princess formula, they processed her through that formula so they can sell stuff. At least they didn't give her that typical treatment pre-production. I totally understand Chapman's disappointment, but what do you expect? Just wait until they roll out the new princess leia.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
Blazer
Supreme Commander

Danny Robashkin
MAKE
Minneapolis, USA

Doesn't seem like such a huge change....I actually like it better and I'm not a teenage girl

Old 05-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
WoolyLoach
Scribblinhg Loach

Ed Averill
Dark Ambient Dronator
Synthetic Aurality
Austin, USA

It's Disney. The surprising thing is that anyone is actually surprised by this.

It's not like there's no track record at Mauschwitz... it'd be amazing and groundbreaking if they didn't Borg her into the Collective.

Still, meh.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
redbellpeppers
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Chris
Standing, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer
Doesn't seem like such a huge change....I actually like it better and I'm not a teenage girl

Same here.
Just looks a couple years older, that's all.

Nothing wrong here.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

The cosmetics industry would be very happy to have another customer if she really existed...

Being a father I am often around children on their way to school. My son certainly has been a victim (or made one of his parents) of the corperate franchise that is Disney. But whenever one of these -very often on a little girl's school bag- there is a little voice in my head that says "poor things-Disney is even tackyer and dumber with the girls!..."
They out grow the merchandise true-but the stigma?

But also from parental experience-its amazing how 'naturally' kids fall into these stereo typical appreciations. At five years old my son knows just about every car logo there is on sight. Why?-because he's gaga about things with wheels and has been since virtually since he was born.
We never forced that on him.

Last edited by circusboy : 05-14-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Thread Closed share thread