CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
samoja
portfolio
Croatia

A beginner's question

Hello, i have a soldier animation which is standing in kinda relaxed position with arms at his sides, i want him to hold a gun i downloaded, i made a bone for collarbone, shoulder bone, elbow and fist, and i am trying to put his arm in position that is suitable for holding a gun, but every time i as much as touch a thing(and i am extra careful to move it only the way real arm is moving, all with rotate command) his shoulder gets totally disfigured with polygons everywhere(i would post a pic but i have not figured out how to do that on this forum yet), i fiddled with envelope too, and that solved part of the problem but not all of it. Body part is one of the armors from ME2 so i am sure it has the ability to behave correctly(the characters in that game all but try every pose you can imagine while walking), what am i doing wrong? Please help.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Hi samoja and welcome to CGTalk!

First off you should choose the right forum for your question. Go to the main forum page and choose a forum with the right software, then start a thread there.

Second if you only added a few bones does the arm need to be animated or are you just trying to pose the figure? If it is just posing you should just move the polys into position maybe using a soft selection of some kind. Other than that it sounds like your bones are influencing more vertexes than the ones in their area.

Posting an image is done by pressing the insert image button you see at the top of the text type in area when you start a new thread or add a reply.

Cheers

Old 05-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
samoja
portfolio
Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga
Hi samoja and welcome to CGTalk!

First off you should choose the right forum for your question. Go to the main forum page and choose a forum with the right software, then start a thread there.

Second if you only added a few bones does the arm need to be animated or are you just trying to pose the figure? If it is just posing you should just move the polys into position maybe using a soft selection of some kind. Other than that it sounds like your bones are influencing more vertexes than the ones in their area.

Posting an image is done by pressing the insert image button you see at the top of the text type in area when you start a new thread or add a reply.

Cheers

Thanks a lot, maybe the admin wil see this and move it to the right place, i am always a little lost on new forums before i learn my w2ay around, every forum has its own way of doing things. Second, no it will not be animated, i am making(well trying to at least) a group of figures for 3d printing, not at all an easy task as in game models are full of holes like Swiss cheese, i understand their reasoning, after all why waste polys on something nobody will even see, but it does not make my life any easier, also most of the texture is, well texture, it is painted on top of relatively simple shape, 2 days ago i started working on a tank and i found out that all that vents and panels and welds are part of texture rather than a model which means i will need to add them myself(i was using probolean for that but sometimes it just makes a hole and no new vertices, haven't figured out how to solve that yet when my 3d max decides to act funny), thanks again i will check out that soft selection thingy you mentioned.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Welcome to the forum Samoja. Update us with the software you are using and a picture of the model and someone should be able to advise you.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
No worries samoja,

just let us know which software you are using and i can move your post.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread