STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Reviews: An Enterprising Film Sure To Energize Fans!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #46
Originally Posted by mitcoz: Sure thing Shakespeare. Oh your so cool. Sorry I don't know how to express myself in such an eloquent Shakespearean way as yourself. I am just a peasant. You obviously are 100x better than me. I bow down to you my dear sir. My use of the nae Star wars has obviously well informed you on alot of things, and your have already jumped to your conclusion, so there is nothing further to discuss with you Sherlock. Because your powers of deduction are way over my peon brain.

One more post like this and you're out of here.

Old 05 May 2013   #47
Withdrawn

Last edited by Kanga : 05 May 2013 at 09:00 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #48
just got back! Loved it, great fun of a movie. Had a bit of an issue with some editing [felt abrupt at times] but otherwise enjoyed every bit of it.

Old 05 May 2013   #49
I really enjoyed the movie! I felt it ended a little bit sooner than I had hoped it would but it was great fun! One question, did the tears look CG to anybody?

Old 05 May 2013   #50
I think if you're not a Trekkie you'll like the movie. As a Trek fan there were a few cringeworthy moments on the level of Darth's NOOOOOOOOO! More than a few plot holes but it was still a fun ride. I really think the 3D made it better. And the VFX were outta this world. Nice job folks.

Old 05 May 2013   #51
just got back and i loved it. obviously didnt leave me feeling fulfilled like "42" did, but it was fun, and well paced. i didnt notice as many lens flares, and i was looking. they were better placed and used a little more properly. i dont get the flack about rehashing stories. the entire property is a rehash, why every one expects these luscious new stories coming from an old tale is beyond me.For every one of us that feels "let down" because of rehashed story arcs, there are hundreds more that dont even remember them, and they deserve to be retold in a new light. the special effects are right there and for the first time i felt like they were all implemented properly and to perfect scale. Kudos to the team.

and on a side note. im in SoCal and i saw the 4:20 showing, so my senses were finely tuned. before the movie started as we were all finding our seats, this older gentleman sat next to me. he started coughing for the next five minutes and i thought to myself "man, whyd this guy have to sit next to me". and as soon as i thought it, he stood up and waddled past my legs and said "im sorry son" and proceeded to leave and move four aisles back. i thought, "did he just read my miiiiind?!!" and i was blown away.

God- "nietzsche is dead"

Old 05 May 2013   #52
Hi,

Can people who say they liked (or disliked) the movie let us know if they watched previously...

the majority of episodes of...
TOS
TNG
DS9
Voyager

I suspect the *like" and *I thought it was fun* comments are from not true Trekkie fans! But prove me wrong.

Jules

Old 05 May 2013   #53
Originally Posted by Hunter: I think if you're not a Trekkie you'll like the movie. As a Trek fan there were a few cringeworthy moments on the level of Darth's NOOOOOOOOO! More than a few plot holes but it was still a fun ride. I really think the 3D made it better. And the VFX were outta this world. Nice job folks.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Just got back from watching. Overall, much better than the last- which isn't that hard to do.
Strong first half, weak, cliched and predictabe second half.
Adm. Marcus's character had a strong, direct and clear motivation.
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
Khan's
unfortunately was all over the map.
Not to mention numerous problems with the script and plot- but hey... look who wrote it. We should come to expect it by now.

Old 05 May 2013   #54
Originally Posted by Jules123: Hi,

Can people who say they liked (or disliked) the movie let us know if they watched previously...

the majority of episodes of...
TOS
TNG
DS9
Voyager

I suspect the *like" and *I thought it was fun* comments are from not true Trekkie fans! But prove me wrong.

Jules

I have seen every Star Trek related series and movie including the animated series more than once. I remember watching the first airings of ST tos when I was 3.
And in thinking about it more I don't get those who say this isn't like the "real" Star Trek because it lacks the same commentary on the real world running as an analogy to what's currently happening. It has a strong message about terrorism, war and revenge. All very relevant to today's world. As much so as "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" was back then. Imo anyway.

Old 05 May 2013   #55
Saw it yesterday and liked it for the most parts. It was much better then the first one, even though they recycled so many elements. Besides the one or two obvious major scenes I had no problem with the recycling. The story was more complex and made much more sense then in the first one, although I wish they had gone another route. In ways, this felt like a DS9 double episode to me. It is strange, in that way it is similar to Insurection, which felt a bit like a double episode. Dialogs were cheesy in parts, but I realy guess they got worse due to german translation (there was no way to watch it in english 2D in my town, only 3D, and I realy have problems with bad 3D).
For me the main issues were the 10 minute route Earth-Kronos and back, trans warp beaming all the time and the interstelar comunicator - what did they think? The problem for me is not that this is much different from how it was in trek before or that it is even less physically plausible than canon trek, but that it is just a bad idea since it removes possibilities for the story. If the technology has no limitations, then it realy gets boring. The result is that I got the feeling they were in Earth Orbit all the time. This was already the case in the first movie, but was even worse in this one. I don't see how space travel gets cooler or more accessible that way.
Well, some other smaller issues, but all in all quite good. For me it was better than most (if not all) of the TNG movies. Actors and chemistry were fine, although I don't like their take on Scotty and Checkov. But I guess that's the kind of humor to expect these days. Bones is sadly reduced to some sarcastic lines. Does anyone remember Bones smiling in the roiginal series and movies? I am missing this here. Most important: They got the general mood right. To me it felt like largely Star Trek, just with some inperfections. And in contrast to all the marketing and the title, it wasn't that dark (there were many DS9 episodes that were much darker). And the end of the movie gives some hope that they realy start to trek soewhere in the next installment. Would be nice if earth would play no role in the next one.

Oh yeah, and the FX and design was nice, besides that ugly ship :-) I liked the Warp core, althought I am aware that they reintroduced it just for one reason.

For the protocol: I consider myself a fan, I guess have been one for 18 years or so. I saw most of TOS once or twice, all of the Movies, TNG and DS9 countless times. But never got realy into Voyager or Enterprise.

Old 05 May 2013   #56
I don't think I saw anyone mentioning it, so does that mean they toned down on the lens flare this time?

Pretty hyped to see it, myself.

Old 05 May 2013   #57
Similar to the last one, good energy and very entertaining despite not being especially well written or very sciency, which I like in this series personally.

Old 05 May 2013   #58
I´m quite honestly fed up with terrorism plots.

Old 05 May 2013   #59
Just got back from the theater. Tried not to, but hated it. It's like a soul-less and very expensive walking corpse made from misplaced parts of really better, long deceased people.

As a Star Trek fan - who loved the original series reruns when I was a kid, and who watched ST-TMP and WOK on the theaters, and so on - I got personally offended by what mr. Abrams and friends did with the original material.

I can't wait to see the real Star Trek come back... someday.

On a ligther note, the FX are very nice and well done (blinding flares aside).

Old 05 May 2013   #60
*** SPOILERS IN THIS POST ***

Just saw it and loved practically every minute of it. For me the worst part about the movie was the Klingon design. They looked too streamlined to me. But I can't tell if that is because I am so used to (in love with) the standard Klingon designs from the shows (particularly DS9), or if because the new look really isn't that good a fit for such a well known Trek species.

Apart from that however, everything was great. Pacing, acting, action, visuals, story, all superbly executed in my opinion.

Though, I may be in a unique position with how I went into this movie; I consider myself a mid tier trek fan (seen all of VOY, DS9 and ENT multiple times, am watching TNG for the first time currently; hate TOS), and I avoided everything STID like the plague.

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
So the Khan reveal was completely surprising to me! I couldn't remember whether they were going the Mitchell route or not, so Cumberbatch's delivery of "I am Khan" was chilling. I especially love the role reversal between Spock and Kirk. Quinto's delivery of "Khaaan!" was great to.

AH! So much to love about this flick. For me it vastly exceeded my expectations, and was the perfect sequel to the first, even outdoing it in many respects.

Thread Closed share thread