indie game developer

portfolio
Niklas Dennerståhl
Owner
Rune Digital
stockholm,

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidinc
This may regulate itself eventually. Crap renders are going to get torn to bits, which will either make them stop posting if they cant take criticism or they'll improve and post again when they have something decent

I really doubt that will happen, shit renders will keep coming and it's more likely that people will just stop commenting.

Personally I always enjoyed browsing this forum because you don't have to have sift through the bottom 70%. Hopefully the new setup will not be the option to view either 100% of the content or the top 1%.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #47
archaeotect
Expert
portfolio
Ralph Eggers
Freiburg, Germany

Does that mean you want to use software to automatically pre-filter what I get to see according to my perceived interests? Or do you want to offer filters we can set manually?

So far I think the main benefit of the (rather strict) voting panel was that the WIP forums suddenly got very active (even if there was a lot of whining).

Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #48
Crotalis
Expert
portfolio
Jason
Designer
upper uncton ..., USA

Quote:
While we don't want the gallery to turn into a cesspit, we don't want it to become a desolate land either, so the first step is this, and it'll lead to more content. Once we have it, what we'll have to do to make sure signal remains solid will become appearant, and the tools to manage that are already well into development and should only be a few months away.

Thanks for your post Raf! If this is the first step to a new/better site I can certainly "grit my teeth and bear it" for a month or two until you guys have the time to get your new measures up and running. As long as the signal does indeed stay louder than the noise in the end I can put up with less than stellar images in the gallery for a little while. Looking forward to the new system!

Quote:
It is a shame that only Leigh has time to discuss this matter and all the other members of the jury are silent or they are playing deaf.

I agree that Leigh often takes far more than her fair share of crap, but several others HAVE indeed chimed in here to help explain why this is being done and what it will lead to ...

Old 05-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #49
pipdixel
Frequenter

portfolio
JTK
USA

So why not let everything go up into the forum, but have a "winners forum" where the award winners automatically get populated to?

Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #50
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipdixel
So why not let everything go up into the forum, but have a "winners forum" where the award winners automatically get populated to?

We do. It's called the CG Choice Gallery, heh.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #51
pipdixel
Frequenter

portfolio
JTK
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
We do. It's called the CG Choice Gallery, heh.

Yeah, that's right.... then whats the big huff all about.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #52
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidinc
This may regulate itself eventually. Crap renders are going to get torn to bits........

That's already happening. The ears on some people who posted poor work must surely be burning now. But, if it makes them take notice and improve their future work before submitting it, then it has to be a good thing.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #53
Cromfel
Veteran
portfolio
Lucas Cromfel
Tampere, Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHarris
I believe the problem with this was trolls downvoting good pieces just to be jerks or out of spite.

Well, that was the whole point of bi-directional communication. Let the community rank the artists and the critics. Just as the artist is stepping up publicly the people who critic must be put on the equal grounds. Let the peer review work on both ways so people can understand who actually provides valuable feedback. Close the loop and let the system work itself to a equilibrium.

Trolls and elitists will be filtering over time just naturally. "Star systems" and such without understanding who voted is irrelevant for the artist if its about actually getting feedback. Popularity contests are of completely different scope with thumbs and stars.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #54
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayame
I really doubt that will happen, shit renders will keep coming and it's more likely that people will just stop commenting.

and eventually stop visiting here.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #55
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBug
It is a shame that only Leigh has time to discuss this matter and all the other members of the jury are silent or they are playing deaf.....

Better that the most active crew member (Leigh) does the answering, seeing as she is a master at handling any guff and gets straight to the point.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #56
Cromfel
Veteran
portfolio
Lucas Cromfel
Tampere, Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillster
Better that the most active crew member (Leigh) does the answering, seeing as she is a master at handling any guff and gets straight to the point.

If only we could also be ranking her feedback to give the artists more information if its personal grief and attack as it in many cases is perceived or actually relevant critic

Mixing the artistic appeal and critic is the problem here. Two stage system.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #57
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
It was, but those were different days, with different servers and much less evolved languages and processing power. You're in IT on the service end of things, I'm sure you have a rough idea of what can be done now with metas and a good set of intersection rules

As I said before, bear with it for a bit longer, parameters for your eyes not be offended by Bryce, if you're so opposed to content produced to it, will at one point become available.

I see, now I'm intrigued. Yes there are indeed many wondrous things that can be done it's just hard to tell what's happening on the receiving end of data. Okay, I'll be patient and see how it goes. A little summary on the behind the scenes work would be cool. See what you guys are cooking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBug
It is a shame that only Leigh has time to discuss this matter and all the other members of the jury are silent or they are playing deaf. In my eyes they show zero respect for the artists. All of the rocks have constantly been thrown towards only one member of the jury whilst the others are afraid to speak or whatever. Maybe we can hear their names for a change, who are those people?
This is not true. I've personally read comments from Kanga and Quadart where they admit they were the ones that rejected a piece and gave their reasons. Leigh just became the lightning rod for criticism in the more public threads when she was the only mod approving pictures.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 05-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #58
Hooch
Back 2 Basics

portfolio
Miguel Chajtur
Freelancer
Santiago, Chile

Send a message via MSN to Hooch
Guys and gals! how about this, you don't want the galleries full of shity work?
Then... let's create "The shity Award!", each time you see a crappy work, you can cast your vote for the Shity Award!

I just survived an 8.8 earthquake, that experience I'll take it to my grave.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #59
LuckyBug
Building worlds

portfolio
Star Lord
DMP Environment Artist
MPC London
London, United%2BKingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHarris
This is not true. I've personally read comments from Kanga and Quadart where they admit they were the ones that rejected a piece and gave their reasons. Leigh just became the lightning rod for criticism in the more public threads when she was the only mod approving pictures.

Well good, so that's the only three deciding who will enter gallery or we have more ?

Old 05-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #60
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

I'm all for the return of the star rating system, provided that three things change about how they were implemented in the past.

• Members can not add a rating to a thread without leaving a comment which must exceed 50 chars in length.
  • Ratings left by the member shows within the comment that the user left.
  • FLs need the ability to remove ratings if they are being used to abuse the system or to self promote a thread.

This would make members accountable for leaving low ratings or padding threads for exposure. Which were two of the big problems that we had with the old system. For example, when implemented, it might look something like this ...

Kirt rated this thread:

Thread Closed share thread