Why now accept everything that is submitted in 3D Stills?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #31
Maybe the problem can be redefined.

Relabeling things can have a big impact, and still maintain that 'best of the best' atmosphere. I am going by what has been written here for the rest of the post, so if I am off base I apologize.

Obviously you don't want some crappy renders on the front page, but at the same time you don't want to deal with people whining about not getting 'picked'. There is also the problem with the time it takes to review things for the site.

So let's solve all the problems at once. Have an open voting forum where people can post their work, and let the community decide which ones make it to the showcase. They can vote, give feedback, or what have you, but only the good ones make it out of user forum onto the main showcase forum.

This A) gives everyone a chance to get seen, B) keeps the showcase the best of the best, C) Removes the time constraints from forum mods who have other pressing business. It also has an added bonus of encouraging budding artists, and maybe even convincing poor artists to stop posting their crap over time via the feedback. There would still need to be *some* moderation for people who just can't be constructive with their criticisms, but much less than reviewing every image that gets puked up onto the servers.

What do you think? Could it work?

Old 05 May 2013   #32
Yeesh, just checking over whats going on at 3D stills. Starting to look like a schoolyard brawl. I mean, the usual members are giving very appropriate critiques (sometimes right out punches to the gut) which the piece probably deserves. I just see folks who aren't used to such rough treatment.

I was thinking that it may be a bit too harsh but then it reminds me of how it was when I first joined CGTalk.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 05 May 2013   #33
Originally Posted by x24BitVoxel: Have an open voting forum where people can post their work, and let the community decide which ones make it to the showcase. They can vote, give feedback, or what have you, but only the good ones make it out of user forum onto the main showcase forum.

I believe the problem with this was trolls downvoting good pieces just to be jerks or out of spite.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 05 May 2013   #34
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: I believe the problem with this was trolls downvoting good pieces just to be jerks or out of spite.

Ah yes. Of course. The best laid plans of mice and men....

Old 05 May 2013   #35
good decision and the only way to go without changes of the actual judging in general.
since the harder judgements started, i thought is a good idea to raise the quality.
but, i dont know why, there were alot of low quality work in the 3d gallery besides way better work that was rejected.

since some time it was like,
mmh, ok, this is not good, but not really bad, i see no way the artist can improve it, so we put it in the gallery.
much better images were rejected because the judge sees a chance to improve it besides the good quality, so he/she reject it and the artist can improve it in wip section (which is a good thing btw).

leigh was mostly the only which trys to explain what was wrong.
nice readings everytime that happened, but i always thought, "yea, she is right, but why we see on page1 in 3d gallery 10 images that dont show anything of what she explained what she dont like in this really good work?".

that makes the whole judging process unreliable.

Old 05 May 2013   #36
Maybe something as simple as a "recommend" button, slate pieces in the order of how many recommendations they get for mods, let mods factor that into consideration when voting and have a threshold where after so many recommendations it gets approved by default. No worrying about negative voting (the forums only have a positive vote for threads already), everyone can toss in artwork while the community as a whole controls the flow of content (to mods) or if strong enough support is on a piece to go straight through.

Old 05 May 2013   #37
Maybe bringing back the old star rating system(or something similar).
And in order to avoid thousands of fake users trying to cast a vote,
Only members with more than a year and with more than "x" number of post can have the privilege to vote.

Just an idea.

I just survived an 8.8 earthquake, that experience I'll take it to my grave.

Old 05 May 2013   #38
It's just going to turn into a silly popularity contest if a voting system is implemented. I imagine there is a large portion of users who are just as likely to vote up a tutorial render as they are a true masterpiece. One should atleast have a firm grip of the fundamentals before being allowed to vote in my opinion and I don't see how that would be possible to enforce.

Old 05 May 2013   #39
Maybe have Choice gallery artists do the voting, it adds incentive to get skills to that point as well.

Old 05 May 2013   #40
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: I believe the problem with this was trolls downvoting good pieces just to be jerks or out of spite.

It was, but those were different days, with different servers and much less evolved languages and processing power.
You're in IT on the service end of things, I'm sure you have a rough idea of what can be done now with metas and a good set of intersection rules

What I think people aren't quite getting in this thread is that, and this has been proven right by google and many other services, an infinite amount of content with an amazing set of rules for people to be presented what they prefer in the shortest possible time beats a rigidly organized, strictly monitored narrow set of data sifted at the origin.

The internet and how people interact with it has undeniably changed drastically over the last few years, and I reckon it's high time this site catches up.
Not by becoming another container for whatever mediocre work gets tossed around, but by a system to offer the same level of quality and standards people have grown to identify CGTalk with, just obtained differently, and from a much, much larger base of content.

Yes, there will be crap creeping in, we're aware of that much, but that is part of the point as well, you can't work on a system that will filter it out per user interest without some of it to test things on

As I said before, bear with it for a bit longer, parameters for your eyes not be offended by Bryce, if you're so opposed to content produced to it, will at one point become available.

Old 05 May 2013   #41

Wyatt:

That is happening on the Escape Studios boards. I've had an account for four years and enjoy seeing what people post. In the past six months people that had 4 or 5 star ratings all of a sudden starting getting one-star or two-star votes that dropped their average down. Some new posters were given a one-star for work that did not deserve the lowest score. The problem is that the voting is anonymous and you do not have to leave a critique message. If the system was to work best it would probably require non-anonymous voting and providing some type of feedback. But I'm not sure that it would work even then.

I also noticed that a game art forum that I used to look forward to seeing new art in opened the flood gates to all art posts. They still pick "award-winners," but if you browse through recent work the stuff posted by pros is being drowned out by many, many pieces that unrefined and amateurish. I used to look for pieces that inspired me, but now it just takes too much time (and if you limit yourself to the award-winning pieces you miss other good pieces). I always enjoyed seeing quality work posted here (even though my focus is game art, I love to see talented art from pros in the movie industry, etc.).

Last edited by FrankIowa : 05 May 2013 at 11:20 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #42
It is a shame that only Leigh has time to discuss this matter and all the other members of the jury are silent or they are playing deaf. In my eyes they show zero respect for the artists. All of the rocks have constantly been thrown towards only one member of the jury whilst the others are afraid to speak or whatever. Maybe we can hear their names for a change, who are those people ?
And apparently it is a huge difference among opinions of the jury members, one day you cannot enter gallery no matter what and the next one you are front page material or you can even get an award, sorry but I find that rather silly. So maybe we should have a poll to choose people who will be responsible for gallery approvals or at least to vote how we score their commitment in a last year.

Last edited by LuckyBug : 05 May 2013 at 08:14 AM.

Old 05 May 2013   #43
i think its a really smart decision, as some of my work that was refused into the normal gallery here have won multiple awards in other cg websites as big as cgtalk.

Old 05 May 2013   #44
This may regulate itself eventually. Crap renders are going to get torn to bits, which will either make them stop posting if they cant take criticism or they'll improve and post again when they have something decent

Old 05 May 2013   #45
I'm really thorn, there were some rejections I couldn't understand at all and it's good that those have a chance of being seen now, but the latest poser pictures ... wow.
I understand that eventually it will balance out, but for now I don't know what to say to people who post this stuff. I'm usually trying to be nice to people, but in some cases I think squidincs approach is better than trying to talk around the fact that it's just garbage.

Thread Closed share thread