Why now accept everything that is submitted in 3D Stills?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Why now accept everything that is submitted in 3D Stills?

I do not understand the change in the rules of the forum, when I criticized him for some time, a little less that I was treated like a troll, now the time has proved me right.
It would be nice to know, that is what has changed to lower the minimum quality bar.

I heard in this tread
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Because we're tired of people being unhappy about their work being declined.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Originally Posted by leigh: Because we're tired of people being unhappy about their work being declined.
If you're going to do that, you should institute a thumbs down policy like YouTube comments.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Leigh, do not believe that there have been excesses on your part, do not think you have done a bad moderation?
I think it was good to have a minimum of quality in the gallery, but it had become almost a lottery.
Maybe a little self-criticism...
Honestly, and I say this as a member of the forum, I think if you should keep track of the works that are uploaded.
But what can not happen is that complete works and well done, where you see a work by the artist, are rejected only by personal criteria ... I do not want to give examples of rejected works, but you and my, we know that ye have rejected images that had a high degree of quality.

Last edited by makaka : 05 May 2013 at 02:39 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Originally Posted by leigh: Because we're tired of people being unhappy about their work being declined.

This happened about a year ago for maybe a week, are you serious about this or just being sarcastic?
I hope you're not serious, whiney asses who cant take criticism surly cant represent the majority of artist and peers on this forum can they? I've been a cgsociety member for about 5 years starting with college and the beginning of my 3d career. Since then I've grown and have submitted work along the way. I only had my first image accepted to the stills gallery about a year ago and have always used the quality work displayed in both the 3d stills and choice gallery as a bar to strive for and a barometer to measure my current level of skill.
It would be a shame to see this go away because some people cant take a critique or have over inflated egos that have been coddled throughout their lives to the point where they can not accept their skills are not yet supreme.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Originally Posted by makaka: Leigh, do not believe that there have been excesses on your part, do not think you have done a bad moderation?
I think it was good to have a minimum of quality in the gallery, but it had become almost a lottery.
Maybe a little self-criticism...
Honestly, and I say this as a member of the forum, I think if you should keep track of the works that are uploaded.
But what can not happen is that complete works and well done, where you see a work by the artist, are rejected only by personal criteria ... I do not want to give examples of rejected works, but you and my, we know that ye have rejected images that had a high degree of quality.

You're acting as if I am the only person who was handling submissions - there was a panel of moderators voting on each image, and every image required a number of votes in either direction in order to be accepted or declined. Don't blame me for it.

And you're very, very much mistaken in your suggestion that work was rejected for "personal criteria". I've stated again and again that I, and the other mods, do not vote according to our tastes. I personally hate renders of cars, most realistic portraits, and pictures of barbarian chicks, but I've voted in favour of well made images like these countless times. Because it's really not that hard to appreciate skill or quality even when the image isn't to your taste.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Originally Posted by mlager8: This happened about a year ago for maybe a week, are you serious about this or just being sarcastic?
I hope you're not serious, whiney asses who cant take criticism surly cant represent the majority of artist and peers on this forum can they? I've been a cgsociety member for about 5 years starting with college and the beginning of my 3d career. Since then I've grown and have submitted work along the way. I only had my first image accepted to the stills gallery about a year ago and have always used the quality work displayed in both the 3d stills and choice gallery as a bar to strive for and a barometer to measure my current level of skill.
It would be a shame to see this go away because some people cant take a critique or have over inflated egos that have been coddled throughout their lives to the point where they can not accept their skills are not yet supreme.

I agree with you on one hand but on the other hand, because our portfolio system doesn't have the option for posting comments and stuff, there's no straightforward way for people to upload their work and get feedback.

I agree that people need to grow a thick skin and get used to critique but the sad reality is that many people are not this way inclined.

We are currently working on ways to improve our highlighting of quality work amongst the submissions, to avoid what happened last time we did this, where the good stuff got lost amongst everything else.

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Originally Posted by leigh: We are currently working on ways to improve our highlighting of quality work amongst the submissions, to avoid what happened last time we did this, where the good stuff got lost amongst everything else.

Well this makes me feel better, As long as the cream can rise to the top. Having every single image submitted just lumped together in succession is obviously a waste of everyones time and make the prestige of a gallery pretty meaningless.

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Well in all honesty there should never really have been any "prestige" to the main gallery. I always saw the CG Choice Award as being the prestige to aim for, really.

I realise this is a bit of a gamble and we may well lose some viewers for the gallery, but I'm hoping that somehow it'll work out in the end. We are also currently overhauling the entire Portfolio system which should make it easier for people to get their work uploaded and available for comments and stuff.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
I do not blame only you, but I like to communicate with you since you are one of the mods that I personally explained and I appreciate it.
If I speak to you it's just because you're on the staff, but they're just a part.
If we have a speed limit on motorways, this if it is too low, no good ... but the option to remove the speed limit is just counterproductive.

Old 05 May 2013   #11
On one hand it's nice that more people may have a chance to get critiques on what they think are finished pieces.

On the other hand... What happened to rejection being motivation to try harder?

Old 05 May 2013   #12
I surely hope this wont result in the forums being taken over by garbage work and lowering the overal quality of the forum (not just talking about the gallery here, but the forums in general).

Old 05 May 2013   #13
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: I surely hope this wont result in the forums being taken over by garbage work and lowering the overal quality of the forum (not just talking about the gallery here, but the forums in general).

there are already poser images coming through.. abandon ship!

Old 05 May 2013   #14
Wow, this is terrible news =/ What's the point of having a 3d gallery with one hour test sculpts in it? It's a shame since I always enjoyed visiting that forum.

Old 05 May 2013   #15
I like the idea of community voting/thumbs up on works, it would be awesome if this was implemented to the point where the gallery could be viewed by "top user rated" and "top mod rated".

Thread Closed share thread