Old 05-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
Tri-State
Veteran

portfolio
Gustav Nikitin
Riga, Latvia

Sad day

Sad, Sad, Sad :(
He was such a great artist, passionate to the bone to bring those fantastic creatures to life.
R I P

Old 05-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

Dennis Murren, creative director, Industrial Light & Magic (eight-time Oscar winner): ďI first visited with him when I was like 13 years old. He was one of the first people whose names people can identify with stop-motion animation and with puppets and itís because they are real. You can look at them and you may not know how they are moving but you know that you could touch them. Itís the light, itís the texturesÖOne of the first times I understood that films were made by people was when I learned his name. He was a maker of magic, to me, and a maker of fanciful creatures and fantastic adventures in exotic, faraway exotic places. He was the only person doing that in L.A., in Hollywood, for years. Nobody could understand that there was market for those films, they didnít know how to make them and [it wasn't their focus] it was about the love interest or the humor ó the jokes Phil Silvers was trying to make ó but Ray took it very seriously and as an audience member you took it seriously also. The stories treated everyone with respect and they transported you to these places. You were seeing a giant 30-foot Cyclops and it may have moved kind of funny but it was the scariest-looking thing you had ever seen. It felt real because it was an object, you werenít seeing something that looked like it was stuck on the film. It didnít look fake in the way CG that is hurried can look. CG thatís hurried can look 2-D and cold but any sort of puppet thing you can sense its existence.Ē

Old 05-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #18
Joss
A Goonie at heart

Wandering artist

^
"It didnít look fake in the way CG that is hurried can look. CG thatís hurried can look 2-D and cold but any sort of puppet thing you can sense its existence."

Interesting reading what some of the old crafters say about Ray's work.
That's pretty cool that you got a chance to meat him Hugh!

Old 05-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #19
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

This is really cool
1974 interview with Harryhausen and you can see his display case with various models inside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-gvn0EoPXQ

Old 05-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #20
fwtep
--------

This is my little tribute to Ray (link below). Like everyone else here, he was one of the largest influences on my life and career. I think it's safe to say that his greatest effect ever was the one he had on the industry. It's great that he lived long enough to realize and enjoy his status as a legend. And having gotten to spend some time with him here and there over the past 20 years, I can tell you he was flattered, proud, and, basically, got a great kick out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0kSi2Ramj4

Old 05-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #21
lucdepaula
portfolio
Luciano Lauand Viana de Paula
td(all arounder)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Sad indeed. I feel like my heroes are going away. His work inspired me through my childhood in the 80s. Still does. Recently my cousin's son started drawing sketches and showing interest in vfx and character design. I bought him a book about Ray's life. I never thought about Ray's creatures as monsters, but as living beings, true characters. To me that was always an unique trace in his movies. He cared about his creations as living things. And it showed up on the screen. My heart goes with his family. Rest in peace Ray, thank you for sharing your dreams.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #22
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread