Ray Harryhausen passes away.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Ray Harryhausen passes away.

The family of Ray Harryhausen has just announced that the visual effects and stop-motion legend passed away today...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=103886

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Good God..
This really sucks.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Probably was the most influential artist over my creative path--even got me interested in mythology and classical literature too. Never got to meet him but at least he sent me a reply to a letter one time.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
This is very sad. I almost don't even know what to feel. He's probably the single greatest creative influence of my childhood. I fully credit him for teaching me that the fantastic places & creatures of our dreams and nightmares can be made real and can transport us, if just for a little while, out of the bland little worlds we live in. The word "legend" does not even begin to describe his amazing career and contribution to the craft of film-making.

R.I.P. Mr Harryhausen.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Bravo to his life and works.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
My first strong memory of movie magic was the skeletons of "Jason and the Argonauts". Man that was such a great scene.

I'm reminded of that famous Walt Disney quote, "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing–that it was all started by a mouse."

I hope that we never lose sight of one thing-that it was all started by Ray.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Sad to see Ray go. His creatures and film work influenced all the big old daddies of the industry as well as little old dogs like myself. My reason to get into cg was foreshadowed
by Ray's influence on me as a pre teen monster movie fan.

Last edited by Tama : 06 June 2013 at 03:32 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #8
A great man and a great life. RIP Ray and be proud of your legacy. You made millions of children and children-at-heart hugely happy/scared/thrilled. Medusa still freaks me out to this day.

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Very, very sad. Like so many others here, he was a big influence on me. Got to meet the man once and have my photo taken with him. It was a great thrill, and now has even more meaning to me. Goodbye, Ray. You may be gone, but your work and your legacy will live on.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
This is very sad. I almost don't even know what to feel. He's probably the single greatest creative influence of my childhood. I fully credit him for teaching me that the fantastic places & creatures of our dreams and nightmares can be made real and can transport us, if just for a little while, out of the bland little worlds we live in. The word "legend" does not even begin to describe his amazing career and contribution to the craft of film-making.

R.I.P. Mr Harryhausen.

Because I couldn't say it better. A sad day indeed.

Old 05 May 2013   #11
A sad loss. Hugely inspirational. Even recently as I watched a documentary on his life and work and saw the amazing drawings he made while planning his scenes it made me say 'right that's it, no more excuses, I'm going to get better at drawing to help my CG work'.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 05 May 2013   #12
Really sad to hear this. Man was a legend in his own lifetime.

MY HMC

Old 05 May 2013   #13
Dam dam dam.

He's my idol. Jason and the Argonauts is one of my top 5 favourite films. I saw him a couple of years ago at a talk he had at a cinema museum in London. He was a bit frail then but still had some great stories:

(Hope it's ok to post this picture here, i was so thrilled meeting him!)

I still think his stuff is fantastic. Check out the skeletons in Jason and the Argonauts, they looks incredible even now.

A sad loss. Hugely inspirational. Even recently as I watched a documentary on his life and work and saw the amazing drawings he made while planning his scenes it made me say 'right that's it, no more excuses, I'm going to get better at drawing to help my CG work'.

Yeah not many people realise he was really good at drawing and did almost everything involved in the process, from concept to the actual animation.

Originally Posted by kelgy: Probably was the most influential artist over my creative path--even got me interested in mythology and classical literature too. Never got to meet him but at least he sent me a reply to a letter one time.

Same! His films introduced me to all that stuff!

Gothic Cathedral Work in Progress
Flickr

Last edited by TheThidMan : 05 May 2013 at 08:38 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #14
RIP Ray Harryhausen. I still remember watching Jason and the Argonauts, Valley of Gwangi, Sinbad movies, etc. I have his book "A Century of Stop Motion Animation." He will be missed.

Old 05 May 2013   #15
Sad news. I saw him give a talk about 11 years ago at an awards ceremony in London and he had the whole room hanging on his every word.

Thread Closed share thread