Disturbing Uses of a 3D Printer Part 2- They Made the Gun

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Darkherow: So last year around October I posted about this subject of 3D Printers used for creating a working gun. You can find the original thread here-
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...47&page=1&pp=15

Onto the main point of this thread, they have actually printed a working gun. All the components are plastic, except for the firing pin that is metal. I'm don't know much about guns but a plastic gun that fires kind of scares me personally. Here's the BBC's report and the video shows him firing the printed gun for real.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22421185

Personally I don't think technology should be used in this way and I agree with someone's comment on the bbc site, that his skills could have been better used.

Well I'll be darned- didn't think it would work.
Cool.

05 May 2013
While there's obviously a lot of media hype surrounding this, I think the concern is justified. 3d printers will only get smaller and cheaper. Aren't some just $3000 already? Anyone who thinks what is shown here is the end of the story (one shot from a gun made with $8000 machine) just hasn't been paying attention. 3d printing is a process that's bound for very wide use, and the hacker/hobbyist community knows no bounds (safety, moral, or otherwise) when it comes to seeing what's possible. I can easily envision a whole gun-happy sub-culture that designs working guns based on famous movie props or iconic video game weapons or original fantasy designs.

Bottom line is, there are enough tinkerers with brains and money, and enough crazy people with who-knows-what agenda, that there's bound to be some overlap in that Venn diagram. I'm sure any attempt at legislation will be ignorant and ham-fisted, but you can just imagine the shit-storm when someone uses one of these weapons in a high-profile crime - and it will happen.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: you can just imagine the shit-storm when someone uses one of these weapons in a high-profile crime - and it will happen.
That is exactly the first thing I thought.

3d printing is at the stage where there are simply going to be a lot of people with these blowing up in their hands for a few years but I can't begin to imagine what will happen when someone inevitably uses one to harm or kill somebody.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Kanga: The printer cost 8,000. That would buy me a damn nice normal gun for that price. I smell sensationalism and self promotion here.
$8000, that would be quite the hand cannon.

Originally Posted by Artbot: you can just imagine the shit-storm when someone uses one of these weapons in a high-profile crime - and it will happen.
Yes it will sadly.
Switching to my worst-case-scenario mode, someone would bypass security and gut shot a high level politician killing them. Once one of the 'royalty' goes down, then they'll get super serious about it. I expect whatever they do it would only hinder people using 3D printers for perfectly legal uses.

I'm just pondering how politicians think they could possibly control this. Might as well try and control the internet... oh wait.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

05 May 2013
[QUOTE Here's the BBC's report and the video shows him firing the printed gun for real.][/QUOTE]

I'm sure most of this is just sensationalism. I'm from a state in the USA where guns are easy to get. I know plenty of people with 1-10 guns. Honestly I hope if I'm ever in a bad situation that there are 10 good people around who are trained to use them vs waiting for the cops to come 10 minutes later.

As for the plastic gun they are definately making a mountain out of a mole hill. There are 100s of ways to make a gun or sneak a weapon into places. I mean the bombing in Boston was a bomb made out of a pressure cooker. Are we going to start regulating pressure cookers now.

I'm not worried about a lot of one off situations. I think even though the gun can fire a) it takes too much work to make vs just getting one at the store. b) it is probably good for just a few shots before it breaks.

Really not a concern. I think now the concern is people start regulating and putting more laws up for 3d printers. Like now you have to register to have one and drives the cost up on something that is becoming cheaper.

Thread Closed share thread