Disturbing Uses of a 3D Printer Part 2- They Made the Gun

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Disturbing Uses of a 3D Printer Part 2- They Made the Gun

So last year around October I posted about this subject of 3D Printers used for creating a working gun. You can find the original thread here-
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...47&page=1&pp=15

Onto the main point of this thread, they have actually printed a working gun. All the components are plastic, except for the firing pin that is metal. I'm don't know much about guns but a plastic gun that fires kind of scares me personally. Here's the BBC's report and the video shows him firing the printed gun for real.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22421185

Personally I don't think technology should be used in this way and I agree with someone's comment on the bbc site, that his skills could have been better used.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
well, i think nothing should be used to build guns. gun manufacturers disagree with me, though..

what, you think they haven´t integrated 3d printing in their production?

Old 05 May 2013   #3
I wonder how many times that gun will fire before the plastic barrel shatters in someone face?
I think the media are making a big deal out of nothing. Most people wanting to make a gun can do it with very basic metalworking skills, and at much lower cost than 3D printing materials, not to mention thousands of $ for the actual printer. Bang Pipes (metal pipes that fire shotgun shells or normal bullets) have been a popular DIY project in many countries for years. That's even more scary, the fact they can be made by anyone with access to a hacksaw and some scrap pipe and metal.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
I really dont get the issue here. I have made guns using metal tubing, and home made gun powder-and I was barely into my teens.
Hell, my father showed us how to make a canon that fired a pellet with enough velocity to smash a car window, or put a hole through a metal door.

I've seen kits that let you rapid fire nailguns at speeds equivalent to that of assault rifles.

RONI Carbine conversion kits are relatively cheap, and can turn a GLOCK into the equivalent of an accurate carbine in a few minutes. Add in an extended magazine and a decent sight, and you have something more powerful and accurate than any police issue hand gun.

This is fear mongering through and through.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
I knocked out my mate with a potato cannon once when we were 12. Anything is dangerous, a kitchen knife is dangerous. A spanner is dangerous.

Someone has made a working gun using a 3d printer. Yes its potentially bad, people can use their time to something else than make a weapon but so what. Let the individual country's laws tackle the issue, this is nothing new, the tool to make the gun has just changed.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Originally Posted by Dillster: I wonder how many times that gun will fire before the plastic barrel shatters in someone face?
I think the media are making a big deal out of nothing. Most people wanting to make a gun can do it with very basic metalworking skills, and at much lower cost than 3D printing materials, not to mention thousands of $ for the actual printer. Bang Pipes (metal pipes that fire shotgun shells or normal bullets) have been a popular DIY project in many countries for years. That's even more scary, the fact they can be made by anyone with access to a hacksaw and some scrap pipe and metal.

Basically, this.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Isn't the issue that it's made of plastic? Easy to sneak through metal detectors and all that.

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Originally Posted by Darkherow: ...

Personally I don't think technology should be used in this way and I agree with someone's comment on the bbc site, that his skills could have been better used.

I don't feel comfortable with that too, but we know that 3D printing can also be used to print out synthetic bodyparts for disabled people who wouldn't be able to afford them otherwise. There are far too many usefull circumstances where 3d printing brings power to the people but all you read in the news, are some dudes that make a pistol with it. Guess why.

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Originally Posted by Lagavulin16: Isn't the issue that it's made of plastic? Easy to sneak through metal detectors and all that.

Invent the plastic cartridge and we'll talk about that.
Also, this is how much a metal detector protects one from guns:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF-WeswkqXc
http://gizmodo.com/5714865/the-tsa-...-on-an-airplane

Old 05 May 2013   #10
This video only shows one shot. The one I saw months back was 6 shots and the gun fell apart in his hands.

BUT one shot is all you need depending on what you're up to, especially with a gun invisible to metal detectors. They kept mentioning in the previous articles that every part was plastic "except the firing pin". This is the first I've seen that the firing pin is just a nail. I strongly believe in gun rights but this bothers me. Reminds me of the old gutbusters made for taking someone down in close range.

Considering the time and resources it takes to make one it won't be replacing a real gun that I can get for $200-400. This one has very specific applications.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Last edited by WyattHarris : 05 May 2013 at 03:36 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #11
bfd. Another example of media hype getting you all hot and bothered about crap that will never impact you while more relevant stories of C-Diff (Clostridium Difficile) go under reported.

Old 05 May 2013   #12
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: I strongly believe in gun rights but this bothers me. Reminds me of the old gutbusters made for taking someone down in close range.

What bothers me is that I foresee legislation that will outlaw certain types of 3D data. At what point will the 3d gun model you made for a game trailer become illegal because somebody could print it? Do we want to have legislation makes it illegal to arrange vertices in a certain order?

Old 05 May 2013   #13
Read the articles, Sen. Chuck Schumer is already prepping legislation. It won't be long at all.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 05 May 2013   #14
This has been coming for a long time... Guns are just the begging. imagine a world where we pirate blueprints, anything is possible.

p.s. anyone got some spare uranium for a nuke?

Old 05 May 2013   #15
Originally Posted by Pyke: I really dont get the issue here. I have made guns using metal tubing, and home made gun powder-and I was barely into my teens.

I was 12 and used fireworks for the charge.
The printer cost 8,000. That would buy me a damn nice normal gun for that price. I smell sensationalism and self promotion here.

Last edited by Kanga : 05 May 2013 at 05:18 PM.

Thread Closed share thread