[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Here is a reply from adobe:
"just noticed this post and wanted to clarify and correct some of the conclusions it draws.
We are not discontinuing Creative Suite. We are phasing out shrink wrapped boxed copies. This is covered in the Creative Suite FAQ:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq.html#upgrade-eligibility

Why is Adobe discontinuing boxed copies of Creative Suite?

As Adobe continues to focus on delivering world-class innovation through Creative Cloud and digital fulfillment, we will be phasing out shrink-wrapped, boxed versions of Creative Suite. Electronic downloads for Creative Suite products will continue to be available – as they are today – from both Adobe.com, as well as reseller and retail partners.

Note that electronic downloads of Creative Suite are still available (both via direct purchase from Adobe.com and reseller and retail partners, and via Creative Cloud).

I hope that helps clarify the information…

Thanks…

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com"

http://blog.softwaremedia.com/2013/...creative-suite/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

That still doesn't address the statement that CS6 will only be supported for bug fixes and there will be no CS7, i.e. after this you will have to subscribe to continue on with their products.

I think they need to clarify that too. I have a feeling that it will turn out to be true.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
jtheninja
Doesn't Have a Title
portfolio
Jason Clarke
Generalist-type person
Portland, USA

That's just on getting older versions though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adobe
Can I purchase a perpetual license for the new Creative Cloud (CC) desktop applications that were announced in May 2013?

No. The new CC versions of the desktop applications are available only through Creative Cloud offerings for individuals, teams, and enterprise. We do not have any current plans to release future CC tools outside Creative Cloud.

However, for organizations such as government agencies and educational institutions that are unable to deploy cloud services, we offer Creative Cloud desktop apps through a Creative Cloud Desktop Applications subscription for government agencies, and via the Adobe Education Enterprise Agreement (EEA) for educational institutions through the channel.

If you were hoping for permanent "CS7" license, looks like that isn't happening. From: http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Confirmation on the news:

Adobe kills Creative Suite, goes subscription-only CNET
Say Goodbye to Creative Suite: Adobe CS Is Now Creative Cloud Gizmodo
Adobe Ditches Creative Suite for CC: Creative Cloud PC Magazine

Enjoy the cloud guys...

-R
Some of the comments on these threads are really good:

"Let's take this cloud nonsense one step further... hardware requirements. What happens when Adobe, or any other cloud provider, decides that you need the latest and greatest hardware? I run a dual-core system with 8gb currently. What if Adobe decides I should be running a 4, 6 or 8 core with 16+gb because their software will be 'more efficient'?

I actually stopped upgrading PS at 6.0. It does what I need to get the job done. "

or

"... Agreed. My point of view - Adobe wasn't selling as much software as they used to because they weren't coming out with any worthwhile updates. So, they made the cloud version, which initially it sounds like a great deal until you realize that you've already paid them for the same thing - for years!
Now they're going to force the entire ecosystem to update to the cloud by killing backward compatibility with non-cloud software.

The only reason I've had to upgrade since ai10 or earlier is to keep up with compatibility."
or

" "I paid $1200 a couple of years ago for CS4, and guess what? It still works just fine."
That's exactly why cloud services are being pushed by big publishers. They don't want you to use their products for a couple of years without upgrading. They want you to upgrade every year. Most people realized they don't need the yearly upgrades, and stuck with what works. That annoyed Adobe because obviously people like you were getting too good of a deal (sarcasm).

Unfortunately, cloud is the future of computing as envisioned by corporate america. Not to mention totalitarian governments who just love having access to all your content on the cloud. "
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 05-06-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Dear Adobe,

Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Andrewty07
lifelong scholar of art

portfolio
Andrew Prewett
Animator
walnut creek, USA

It's rough for me if I want to ever update my version after CS6 without a set income and just starting out in the field still. I am really glad that my school furnished a full CS6 master collection instead of just a student license, without that I would be really screwed looking at how now it can be expected to plan a yearly 1k check to adobe for the sofware just to make the content for making a living. I suppose that could be considered a buisness expense though and tax deductible. I may just cut back in the software I use and stick to AE, PR and PS though that would still be around $720 a year.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
jumamu
Frequenter
portfolio
Juha M
Oulu, Finland

Ok, it is time to say good bye to Adobe products, i have upgraded my software 3 times (i have left some updates out because i wan't to save money a little bit). But if adobe really kills the normal Creative Suite download collection i have no reason to live. I am not going to use cloud services because my internet do not work every day.. I have to use softwares every day, even in those days when i have no internet connection because the work have to be get done. I hate cloud services, and i know that it isn't future in area where you can't trust for your internet connection 24/7. And everybody even do not have internet connection, for example i have no internet connection in cottage. It looks like i have to k*ll my self if the cloud services will be the only option in future, f*ck the world.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

jumamu, it doesn't sound like you'll need to be constantly connected via the Internet, I think from one of the comments that you'd have to authenticate once per month / periodically via the web. Not saying this sucks any less, just no reason to jump off a bridge just yet.

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 05-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
ragdoll
abuser of the ellipses...

rj torralba
animator
Telltale
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
Dear Adobe,

lol! i lyk diz.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
Darrolm
Frequenter
portfolio
Darrol Moore
Character TD | Generalist
Pasadena, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewty07
I am really glad that my school furnished a full CS6 master collection instead of just a student license
The only difference between the education and full versions of CS6 Master Collection is the price and one is marked "Education." Everything else is there including the ability to use it commercially without breaching the terms of service.

Personally, I won't be moving to Creative Cloud unless I really need a new feature in one of the programs I use regularly. Before I finished school, I bought CS6 Master with my EDU discount so I am set.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
jumamu
Frequenter
portfolio
Juha M
Oulu, Finland

I don't also like from the idea that i do not own the software... it's just like waste your money for slot machine. I wan't own things, i don't want products own me. I am already very depressed from my life, but this is the last one, i am really thinking killing my self... Fuc*ing adobe.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
Lomax
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jared Lindquist
Technical Animator
Limited Slip Studio
Orlando, United%2BStates

"Sure we could innovate, but that's really hard. Can't we just do next to nothing, and make people pay us for it?"

Adobe as a corporation has officially become a college slacker.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #15
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumamu
I am already very depressed from my life, but this is the last one, i am really thinking killing my self... Fuc*ing adobe.

If this is a serious comment, I strongly urge you to talk to someone about your state of mind. A friend, a family member, even some free hotline if you have to. Get help in any manner you can. No software issue is worth considering this for.

Thread Closed share thread