IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Bi-Week-003: May 6-19- 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
CONCEPT NAME: Soliloquy of a Madman

CATEGORY: Games (PC, MAC, Linux)

PROJECT DESCRIPTION:

Within the depths of his own mind, a man seeks the answer to an unknown question. Facing fragmented thoughts, haunting memories and reflections of self, the actions taken will lead to enlightenment or self-destruction.

In this 3rd person action-adventure style game, you will play as Ego, a monk-like representation of self whose goal is to explore the depths of his own mind through meditation. As you explore you will encounter various memories, thoughts and reflections of personality which take form both as enemies you must overcome and the environment itself. The actions you take in the game will either lead you towards self-destruction or enlightenment.

The project is meant to be more on the artistic narrative side of the "video game" spectrum; to create an interesting and memorable experience with a message. Strongly influenced by artistic games like Journey, but mixed with fun gameplay you'd find in something like God of War.

STATUS NUMBER: 2

START DATE: January 2013 (when I actually started working seriously on it)

ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE : Q4 2012 | Phase 1 | Prototype & Design Doc

PROJECT GOALS:

To create my first independent video game by myself and earn at least one year's worth of living expenses either from crowd-sourced donations or from direct sales after release.

This project represents a stepping stone towards opening my own small studio. I personally feel that this is a "personal thesis" kind of project, where I need to accomplish the feat of coming up with a concept and following through to full realization before I would feel prepared as a future leader of a small design team.

WHAT WENT RIGHT THIS WEEK:

I leveraged stock assets as a means of saving myself time. I purchased an effects package for Unity and hacked together some of the elements to create an awesome fire effect, something that would have taken me much longer had I done it entirely from scratch.

WHAT WENT WRONG:

It was sunny, beautiful and I didn't want to spend my weekend inside working on this. I've realized that I need to pick a few evenings a week where I do at minimum and hour of work on it. Life must be lived, but consistently working towards a goal should also happen no matter what.

SHOW AND TELL:

I've almost finished the character morphing, which is pretty exciting because once that's out of the way I'll be able to move on to actually figuring out more of the "game" aspects, like combat, AI and all that fun stuff. In the video the "self destructive" morph is complete, I'm happy with how it looks. The "enlightened" feel weak and I'm still working on making it look better.

Gameplay Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ-xwqz-6Kg

Normal

Enlightenment

Self-Destructive

05 May 2013
Hi Everyone,

It has been a very busy week for me so I wanted to give an update to where we are now and what were some things that happened at the end of last week.

NAME: Blaster X HD
COMPANY: 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)

DIRECT LINK TO GAME: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bla...d615851024?mt=8

CONTACT INFO: www.facebook.com/2GMGames and www.twitter.com/2GMGames

CATEGORY: Games (Mobile Games)

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

Blaster X HD is created by 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games) and is avaiable for all generations of the iPad and iPad Mini. It is an arcade style game with action, that emphasizes reflexes, hand-eye coordination, logic/puzzle and other functions.

Blaster X HD boasts the following:
1.) Over 400 Levels of Mental Addiciton.
2.) 9 Diverse Worlds, with 200+ Unique Layouts.
3.) Fluid Control System for more innovative gameplay/mechanics.
4.) High Resolution HD Graphics.
5.) Created for all generations of iPad and iPad Mini.
6.) 100% Independent - no publisher, no funding, just all on our own.

Gameplay Elements: (Taken from AppStore description)
Launch your Blaster by pulling your finger back and let it fly! Manipulate and guide your Blaster, as you blast your way through the Orbs to clear each level! Absorb the Orbs' energy, as that is the power source for your Blaster - so grab them all!
(Non-violent gameplay, suitable for all ages)

STATUS NUMBER: 3

TEAM MEMBERS: 2

Rudy Gjurkovic = Co-Founder
Joshua Chapman = Co-Founder

START DATE: End of 2010
COMPLETION DATE: 5-1-2013 (Out Now)

WHAT WENT RIGHT THIS WEEK:
1.) We launched at #2 in two category lists on Apple's New Paid App chart. (I might have listed it in the last thread, but since it happened late in the week I wanted to share here too as it will be relevant for the rest of my post)

2.) Created a Gameplay Trailer/Montage. I literally stayed up 24 hours straight over the weekend - no sleep - trying to get it ready for Monday, which I did.

3.) I contacted about 60+ outlets/reviewers/individuals to tell them about our game.

4.) We had some really great support from some of the people I never thought it would come from.

5.) We are trying to get some reviews here (hopefully) as we had some interest from a couple of places - Kotaku being one of them.

6.) Blaster X HD was received very well in the TouchArcade forums - some calling it a "rare hidden gem." We also only have 5 Star reviews, which is great too. (Nice comments from strangers always make you feel like the work you put in was well worth the time.) A lot of people on CGTalk, here as well, seemed to like it.

WHAT WENT WRONG THIS WEEK:

1.) No Gameplay Trailer at the release date. This was a HUGE issue that we overlooked. We thought that Over 400 Levels, nice images, a general trailer, being 100% Indie, etc.. would be good for us at launch...nope. Once someone asks to see a gameplay trailer and they can't find one, that spreads like wildfire, so we busted our butt to get one done. Apparently, some people in the past on the AppStore would have really nice graphics for their screenshots, but the actual game was not that at all...almost like a bait-and-switch. I really can't believe that people would actually do this, but there are crooks everywhere I guess. Apple has changed their policy, that no marketing images can be changed without a new binary being submitted - this was done to nip this practice in the butt. However though, I don't think the general public knows this. So, always have a gameplay video ready at release - lesson learned.

2.) Visibility is brutal. Going Indie in the AppStore can be very rewarding, but even though we were high in the charts (Apple's Charts for New Paid Apps) at release, we were still very hard to find. I had people tell us that they could not find us anywhere in the iTunes store, only if they searched for it or used our direct link could they find us. Apple needs to greatly improve how they show new games by other people, and not just the same old ones. Unless you have deep pockets for marketing, a "connection" at Apple, or have established a relationship with a reviewer or two...it is going to be a very hard uphill battle - but don't give up. Trying to get reviewers is almost impossible and without that, Apple giving us a nod for "New and Noteworthy" will be tough, but we are still pushing forward and not giving up.

I just want to share what we are experiencing as it could hopefully help others. We have great support from people, but we are still hoping for more. Everyday, my plan is to keep pounding down the doors to some reviewers/forums and I hope something will come of it. Also, getting people who play your game to actually review it, is hard as well. - We have only 5 stars from everyone who played it, but we might have to think of ways for rating our game to be easier for people to do.

SHOW AND TELL:

Some Images from last time about our game, Blaster X HD (Only blowing up one to save screen space)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...ebookHeader.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...creenShot_A.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...creenShot_C.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...creenShot_D.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...creenShot_E.png

Gameplay Trailer (Montage) that I completed over the weekend.:

Thanks guys for reading my long post and I will update as soon as I can. Please feel free to ask any questions - I will try my best to answer them.

Thanks,
Rudy

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bla...d615851024?mt=8

Last edited by Rez007 : 05 May 2013 at 11:19 PM.

05 May 2013
Quote: 2.) Visibility is brutal. Going Indie in the AppStore can be very rewarding, but even though we were high in the charts (Apple's Charts for New Paid Apps) at release, we were still very hard to find. I had people tell us that they could not find us anywhere in the iTunes store, only if they searched for it or used our direct link could they find us. Apple needs to greatly improve how they show new games by other people, and not just the same old ones. Unless you have deep pockets for marketing, a "connection" at Apple, or have established a relationship with a reviewer or two...it is going to be a very hard uphill battle - but don't give up. Trying to get reviewers is almost impossible and without that, Apple giving us a nod for "New and Noteworthy" will be touch, but we are still pushing forward and not giving up.

That is pretty sad. I think APPLE needs to revamp some things. I meed good grief Angry Birds is still on the main page. Can we like take it off and put it on something like a Archive - Oldies but goodies classic. It is sad to see so many games and such get overlooked.

Apple should have a fast rotation out on Apps. Same few people keep getting 100s of thousands of dollars for the same game being featured all the time.

I haven't even seen the main game page in awhile. Let me guess 4 or 5 mainstream, Angry birds, doode jump, pocket gods, fruitninja etc.

Just check it.
YUP!
Can you let some other folks in on the action. Stop putting the same top 25 games up.

So here is a big questions? How can everyone start helping each other get seen.
It is one thing to develop IP but another entirely to get it seen.

Even on forums it is harder to promote. I know most forums don't allow you to promote anything. There is usually a policy about it. So how can we market and not just to family and friends?

I was thinking we could have a group of folks who do press releases. A press release team that sends out several emails to an orchestrated group.

Like for example 100 people, send to their friends and family. Then we have those 100 also write a quick press release to all the big groups that can do a little story on your work.

That might help. What do you all think?

05 May 2013
Marketing is one of those big unknowns to me at this point but I know it's going to be one of the most difficult parts of developing a commercial product. The biggest challenge I think is figuring out a way to market something when you don't have a budget to advertise.

I've done quite a lot of reading on game developer forums and a lot of them do it through pure grunt work. They create a press package which contains a few key stills, various lengths of descriptions and video gameplay and they start sending these out to all sorts of websites. In addition, a lot of them will send free copies of their games for the reviewers to play. The trick is to send out thousands of these packages to websites in hopes that maybe a 1% of them will actually write about your game.

Other ways is to jump on board special interest forums or social websites. For example, on Reddit there is a subreddit for gamedevs (www.reddit.com/r/gamedev) and every week they have threads for getting feedback (Feedback Friday) and showing off your progress (Screenshot Saturday). That's a good way to start getting your game seen by fellow devs who could end up being a valuable first push for geting that initial list of downloads / ratings you might need to sway your average buyer.

It's an interesting topic I'm going to have to do more research on, but the more ideas we list here, the better!

05 May 2013
@Rez007: OK I think I want to make quite a few suggestions here, especially with the trailer:

1) NEEDS MUSIC - There's this aircon humming noise, it really kills the trailer. The images seemed to imply a House, Electro-Punk theme but there was none of that "bounce" in this trailer.

2) NEEDS TO SAY MORE ABOUT GAMEPLAY & GAMEPLAY CONTEXT/OBJECTIVE - The trailer claims the game is addicting, but all you have in the trailer are these pretty backgrounds and a ball that seems to absorb these orb things? Can you do something once you accumulate enough orb things? Sometimes the video shows a "rotating spike" from the ball.... What does it do? It's like what Shigeru Miyamoto's favorite question: "What is the player going to do in this game that is going to be so fun?"

This last point is a bit too late... but still needs to be pointed out. You claim variety of levels, but, to be honest, because it wasn't clear what the Gameplay or Gameplay objectives are (Do you tilt your tablet to control the Ball? Do you flick it with your finger on the screen? What can you do?) the levels all seem the same game but with different shapes.

Finally, you can't expect any ONE promo medium to solve all your problems. You need to really "tour" with this thing. Make a site... Demo the game... Go to schools and show it around... I don't know.. but you can't sit there and just expect things to come to you.

You can still make it work though, you have an FB, a Twitter, start making Featurettes where you demonstrate how the game works... even put up testimony of people playing the game.... Do what all the big devs do, send the game to Sites or Magazines and get it REVIEWED.

Personally, I would have only tried launching the "big release" after the game already had quite a few "fans". Did you play test the game, for example, so that you'd know what people might respond to. You usually see some aspect of your creation, but discover that people see some other aspect. If that's the case you need to promote based on that instead to "make a connection".

Like someone said earlier: Think AAA. That's not just in game design, it goes double for game promotion.

Good luck.

P.S.: I'm guessing Blaster X is one of those "no story" games... Which is fine. What you can do in a featurette is associate Blaster X with other successful games by talking about maybe how Blaster X improves upon "your grandfather's old pinball game" or how Blaster X improves over another classic title like Arkanoid ("In Arkanoid you can only really play up and down, but Blaster X allows you to play in any direction... blah blah blah").

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 05 May 2013 at 12:54 AM.

05 May 2013
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the comments and suggestions. I just want to address some things here real quick. Yes, the gameplay video does need some music, right now it just plays some of the ambient sounds that are in-game. Most people tend to just turn off the music in the actual game or play what they have on there playlist, but I do agree that the trailer needs some sprusing. I was trying to add some music, but after no sleep for 24 hours straight and trying to get it out on Monday before Europe gets to work, was a little draining. Anyone know of some good sites for RF music? - purchasable is fine.

@Banman - that is actually a really good idea you have and would be great to some how find a way to implement it.

@grantmoore3d - thanks for the suggestions. I have to check out the gavedev subforum. I posted in the www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming forum upon release, but I didn't even realize that one.

@CGIPadawan - I think there is a chance that you might have missed some of my postings earlier in this thread or on the previous week. I just cut it down for this weeks post so it doesn't get too lengthy. The Apple description (Full one in the App Store and I posted it on an eariler IP week) pretty much explains all of the gameplay, functions, etc. We have a big game so it gets kind of difficult sometimes to narrow it down on what is best suited for the description areas.

The Blaster is actually a floating sphere-like object, with a forwarding vector, that gets its energy from the Orbs that it blasts through. The physics itself is pretty neat and each World has its own unique elements. I.E. World Sky has positive and negative poles (forces) that alter your Blasters trajectory.

One thing is for sure though, I have definitely not been sitting around hoping for the best by just using one medium. I have been working really hard, pretty much doing the marketing full time for many hours each day. I have been contacting loads of people and reviewers (mentioned in my first post above) and I continue to keep pushing forward.
Everyday I think of new tactics and search for options to help get the word out there. I have a personally generated list with a couple hundred contacts/forums/individuals, that I continue to plow through each day. I was just empahsising that even being really high in Apple's New Paid Apps list doesn't gaurantee visiblity, and what I mentioned above is true as many others are experiencing the same thing in the mobile market - over saturation as been a long issue for sometime now, making it difficult for Indies. I have been doing research for a long time - given the size of my list - and it is just a notable issue that others should be aware of.

We are hoping or the best, but we are taking and trying to make our own luck, and not just relying on one form of exposure. We definitely know that you have to "take the bull by the horns" so to speak, if you want to be successful and that is what we are doing - just takes a while with only two people.

Please keep the suggestions and conversation rolling, it is greatly appreciated and all feedback is welcome. It definitely helps ourselves and others to refine our approaches.

Thanks,
Rudy

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Rez007:
The Blaster is actually a floating sphere-like object, with a forwarding vector, that gets its energy from the Orbs that it blasts through. The physics itself is pretty neat and each World has its own unique elements. I.E. World Sky has positive and negative poles (forces) that alter your Blasters trajectory.

OK... then you definitely need to make Featurettes that focus on GAMEPLAY and you need to start adopting language that associates the game with similar "Ball bouncing but with a twist" games like Arkanoid.... and emphasize how your game is better.

And then you need to never get tired of answering the same questions over and over and over again. Remember that Blaster X is going to be "new" to everyone at least once (including me).

Each time, you do the same thing, you claim Blaster-X "improves over Arkanoid. It's better than Tetris. It does this and that and has this feature and that feature let me show you."

I can understand how you feel (I get the same questions over and over again about REVERSION for example) but you cannot answer "I already told it back in earlier pages" ...

Nobody's going to care. If you start interacting with the fandom and potential players, you need to be ready to essentially parrot the same opening pitch over and over again like you're doing the talk show circuit.

P.S.: Same thing about the levels, if each of the levels have a unique gameplay feature? Then each is another featurette and you talk solely about that and you have the same closing in all of them that directs people to 2gmg dot com and your FB and the Apple page... etc etc.

P.P.S.: Oh and another point is that regardless of whether or not you stated or explained any core gameplay or features earlier, the point is your trailer needs to say that also (even if it means it is saying it again after you did). MOST people in the world will be seeing the trailer first.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 05 May 2013 at 08:55 AM.

05 May 2013
Quote: Marketing is one of those big unknowns to me at this point but I know it's going to be one of the most difficult parts of developing a commercial product. The biggest challenge I think is figuring out a way to market something when you don't have a budget to advertise.

Well I think that is where we can all come in handy. WE can make a small army of "talkers".

I think we should find a way to promote each other.

I would be happy to help promote any of you all and submit your stuff to various websites, talk about it online.

If it is a movie things like "Ain't It cool news" Twitch, Toplessrobot, I09, Geeks Are sexy or whatever sites I gather. But myself alone would not be enough. It would probably help if 100 of us wrote the same sites. I think at that point we could even get featured. How hard is it to write one thing and submit it to different avenues to get attention for each other? I mean if 1 of us writes Wired for example how much attention to we get. If 100 of use write all individual stuff how much attention could we get?

Just a thought. It would definately make IP grow

05 May 2013
Hi, just a short update, not much to report, got distracted on another project..

To confirm that I have been spending a bit too much time working on Medievil themes I decided to "model" some granite panels to cover the bottom of my house. We raised the house last year and now are covering this up.

Taking raw slabs of this cool volcanic rock (I got 4 tons...) I am slowly but surely creating a castle wall style finishing using a 4 1/2 inch grinder, a hammer and a chisel. Very cool. It will be mounted on Durock wallboard with mesh and then concrete finish. I will then use a straight grinder to even out the lines then paint/polish the stones and then grout. Fun, fun. Hopefully it will look AWESOME. Way better than the 4$ a square foot plastic covering that looks like rocks for sure.

There is/will be more photos on the facebook page showing the original rocks and working setup.

I did hire someone to do voiceover work so this is good. Also going to try rendering my footage at 150 dpi instead of the default 72; see if this helps the "crispness" factor".

Nice work presented here; looking good and seems people are getting inspired.
I like some of the images but found one (banman's) had an touch of Ironman with the Arc reactor center, but maybe just it's an influence.

As far as marketing I would say that it takes money to make money and get noticed. If you spend thousands of hours creating something it just might be worth spending a couple of bucks on YouTube adverts to get the word out. Organic is cool but consider that the big studios spend ALOT on advertising and you don't. Maybe a 25$ a month little program would be a reasonable investment.

Have a great weekend..

Last edited by TheCastle : 05 May 2013 at 03:34 PM.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: OK... then you definitely need to make Featurettes that focus on GAMEPLAY and you need to start adopting language that associates the game with similar "Ball bouncing but with a twist" games like Arkanoid.... and emphasize how your game is better.

And then you need to never get tired of answering the same questions over and over and over again. Remember that Blaster X is going to be "new" to everyone at least once (including me).

Each time, you do the same thing, you claim Blaster-X "improves over Arkanoid. It's better than Tetris. It does this and that and has this feature and that feature let me show you."

I can understand how you feel (I get the same questions over and over again about REVERSION for example) but you cannot answer "I already told it back in earlier pages" ...

Nobody's going to care. If you start interacting with the fandom and potential players, you need to be ready to essentially parrot the same opening pitch over and over again like you're doing the talk show circuit.

P.S.: Same thing about the levels, if each of the levels have a unique gameplay feature? Then each is another featurette and you talk solely about that and you have the same closing in all of them that directs people to 2gmg dot com and your FB and the Apple page... etc etc.

P.P.S.: Oh and another point is that regardless of whether or not you stated or explained any core gameplay or features earlier, the point is your trailer needs to say that also (even if it means it is saying it again after you did). MOST people in the world will be seeing the trailer first.

Hi CGIPadawan,

You have some great points there, thanks for the feedback. The part where I mentioned that I posted a couple of threads back, was just a correlation to this IP Incubator thread, I was just trying not to say it on every intro post, as I thought maybe it might bore people and try to keep the size of my posts shorter by just keeping my posts to what I was doing at that time. You make a good point though, I am going to have to squeeze something into my description for people who just might pick up the thread - good idea. Whenever I post some where else outside of this IP Incubator thread, then yes, I try my best to always tell what the game, Blaster X HD is about and to clarify what the game may be, and why it is better than the competition. For one, I think we might be the only ones offering over 400 Levels to start, especially for 99cents right now.

The gameplay video that is currently posted, was more-or-less a quick scramble thing that we put together over the weekend so we had something for Monday, this way there wasn't too much of a gap. Unfortunately, there were some issues with the recording and other things so it made for a tight deadline. We actually are working on a Raw movie capture of the game, without editing, so people can get a better sense of everything. I was also thinking of doing many more videos in the future, possibly one for each World to showcase its strenghts. Also, like you mentioned I am going to be working on making some videos that show more of the gameplay uniqueness...I think that will help. It might take a little bit to get them done, by I think having a steady flow of new material to show will keep the awareness going and reach out to new potential players.

Thanks Again for the Ideas,
Rudy

Blaster X HD: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bla...d615851024?mt=8

05 May 2013
Allright, it's a little hard to keep track of everything but I'll do my best...

Originally Posted by banman7: PROJECT NAME : I LOVE KAIJU

I like that animated gif/comic format, first time I see something like this. Can be a fun way to develop your IP.

How big are these kaijus supposed to be?

Originally Posted by Pyke: PROJECT NAME : STASIS

There's a very nice vibe going on in your game, I like it. I think you're striking just the right chord with this mix of old style adventure game and high-def graphics. There's definitely going to be a market for it.

Brings back good memories of Planescape Torment, Fallout and even Beneath a Steel Sky for some reason.

Originally Posted by Rez007: PROJECT NAME : BLASTER X HD

Best of luck with your release. I'm sure doing a couple more videos will help a lot getting the attention you need!

Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: PROJECT NAME : Soliloquy of a Madman

Looking good! I really like how the Self-Destructive abs pop out with the lava texture.

If I may suggest, I just had a look on your website and you might want to change the main font, I find it really hard to read.

Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: I'm curious to all of you who have been posting, to what extent have you been getting outside assistance in order to create your IP's? What have been the benefits? Have you encountered any difficulties

In our case, we're trying to avoid resorting to outside help as much as possible. We've got a lot of complex animation to do but we still feel like the time we'd need to spend briefing everyone and dealing with retakes wouldn't be worth it.

It's so much easier to just film our animation references together, validate the timing in our edit and get going. We rarely have to make drastic changes since we're usually all on the same page.

But the fact we're are three guys working on this helps a lot. We each have our strenghts and complement each other pretty well.

Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Regrading Oscar Nominations, be sure you take a look at the rules. I think they have format requirements and require that your short film premieres at a festival accredited as an Oscar Animated Short Film qualifier. I believe SIGGRAPH is one of these events.

Yeah, we've looked into that. We actually have a list of every festival for which a first prize would qualify us for an oscar nomination, so we'll be aiming for those ones first.

Originally Posted by banman7: I love your matte paintings. They feel so refreshing.

Originally Posted by Rez007: Looking great! I love the art style and I look forward to seeing more images in the future.

Thank you guys!

05 May 2013
Quote: I like that animated gif/comic format, first time I see something like this. Can be a fun way to develop your IP.

How big are these kaijus supposed to be?

They are about 10 for the Sasquatch and 30 for Snailo but there will be some variations. And I'll have these Kaiju fighting Godzilla size Kaiju. I always loved seeing when humans would fight giants but what about giants fighting even bigger giants in the same fashion.

Snailo does change sizes past 30 feet tall. Megan the other character on the journey goes from about 5 feet to 100 ft. She is like an ultraman type character.

I always wanted a gif style or cinematic style comic and with today's technology can do it.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Rez007: Hi CGIPadawan,

You have some great points there, thanks for the feedback. The part where I mentioned that I posted a couple of threads back, was just a correlation to this IP Incubator thread, I was just trying not to say it on every intro post, as I thought maybe it might bore people and try to keep the size of my posts shorter by just keeping my posts to what I was doing at that time. You make a good point though, I am going to have to squeeze something into my description for people who just might pick up the thread - good idea. Whenever I post some where else outside of this IP Incubator thread, then yes, I try my best to always tell what the game, Blaster X HD is about and to clarify what the game may be, and why it is better than the competition. For one, I think we might be the only ones offering over 400 Levels to start, especially for 99cents right now.

The gameplay video that is currently posted, was more-or-less a quick scramble thing that we put together over the weekend so we had something for Monday, this way there wasn't too much of a gap. Unfortunately, there were some issues with the recording and other things so it made for a tight deadline. We actually are working on a Raw movie capture of the game, without editing, so people can get a better sense of everything. I was also thinking of doing many more videos in the future, possibly one for each World to showcase its strenghts. Also, like you mentioned I am going to be working on making some videos that show more of the gameplay uniqueness...I think that will help. It might take a little bit to get them done, by I think having a steady flow of new material to show will keep the awareness going and reach out to new potential players.

Thanks Again for the Ideas,
Rudy

Blaster X HD: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bla...d615851024?mt=8

I understand. A lot of people here talk about the battle to just MAKE something (and that is definitely a big battle). But the WAR is in getting it seen, getting it appreciated, getting people to see the value of what was made.

That is another whole planet of fighting.

For example all the AAA games, even with all their resources, know that a full web campaign, many featurette videos, a plethora of reviews, etc. still require between 4 to 6 months or even 8 to 10 months to really get revved up.

The point is, even with a wide net, you need time for that net to settle in.

Considering you had mostly just a trailer and a few other things "on the Monday". Then you're now looking at a long fight. At least your game will already be in stores...

I agree with what some other people posted about going to Indie-specific communities first. I would have preferred, like in the AAA strategies to have done this 6 months before going retail.. but we're there now.

It's a long climb... and it'll be difficult watching the sales trickle.

Take heart though, even Rovio didn't get it right the first time (they had a game before "Angry Birds" called "King of the Cabbage World" (renamed "Mole War") - which obviously did not achieve the same level of success).

That's the last part of this initial journey. At some point, you're just going to have to make the sequel (or a new game) and move on. Determining that point in time (because even the best and most popular games have a time limit on shelves) is tricky, but that time will come.

05 May 2013
Quote: Take heart though, even Rovio didn't get it right the first time (they had a game before "Angry Birds" called "King of the Cabbage World" (renamed "Mole War") - which obviously did not achieve the same level of success).

I think they had way more games even before they hit their big success.
That is totally crazy. I think they had about 40 games.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by banman7: I think they had way more games even before they hit their big success.
That is totally crazy. I think they had about 40 games.

Whether it was 4 games before "Angry Birds" or 40 games before that.. basically Rovio went through the cycle of "OK.. We move on".. and eventually hit Angry Birds.

That's what I meant in the last paragraph.. eventually you move on.. it's possible one day you achieve success with something you really don't like as much as the one you thought would work very well.

But that's life.

Thread Closed share thread