IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Bi-Week-003: May 6-19- 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Bi-Week-003: May 6-19- 2013

Rob Note:
Past Thread:
IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Bi-Week-002: April 22-May 5- 2013
IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Week-001: April 15-21- 2013

Projects So Far:
---Click To Expand---
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:

The Projects so far this week:

Project Name:____________CATEGORY:___Start Date:___ First Post______Link
STASIS_________________Games ______Dec 2010_____04-16-2013 ___Link
NeverEndingPrincessStory___Animation____TBD__________04-16-2013___ Link
Le Gouffre_______________Animation ___July 2011______04-16-2013___ Link
Top secret project _________Animation ___TBD_________04-16-2013___ Link
Spec Commercial__________Animation___ April 2013______04-17-2013___ Link
I am the Antagonist________Cross Media _TBD__________04-17-2013___ Link
SCHIRKOA_______________Animation___ Mid 2010______04-17-2013___ Link
HYPERREALITY ENGINE_____3D Engine ___ April 2013_____04-18-2013___ Link
Blaster X HD_____________Games ______End of 2010____04-25-2013 ___Link
Le Gouffre ______________Animation___ July 2013______ 04-23-2013___ Link
Soliloquy of a Madman _____ Games _____
January 2013___04-23-2013 ___Link
NeverEndingPrincessStory __ Animation __June 2010_______04-29-2013___ Link

I LOVE KAIJU_____________Animation___ April 2013______05-04-2013___ Link

THE IP INCUBATOR CLUB.

in·cu·bate

/ˈɪnkyəˌbeɪt, ˈɪŋ-/ Show Spelled [in-kyuh-beyt, ing-] Show IPA verb, in·cu·bat·ed, in·cu·bat·ing.verb (used with object)
1. to sit upon (eggs) for the purpose of hatching.
2. to hatch (eggs), as by sitting upon them or by artificial heat.
3. to maintain at a favorable temperature and in other conditions promoting development, as cultures of bacteria or prematurely born infants.
4. to develop or produce as if by hatching; give form to: His brain was incubating schemes for raising money.

Welcome to the IP Incubator Club
The idea behind this Club is simple

POST WEEKLY UPDATES of Original IP that you are developing. Hopefully IP that can eventually help the creator generate some income.
Also you should provide CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK to the work posted by other posters of the club.

The idea of this "Incubator Club" is to get away from the gloom and doom and provide a lifeline of support for our fellow artists.

The artists will have at their discretion how much they wish to share on the projects they are working on, what program they will be using and the medium . But the IP HAS BE AN ORIGINAL CREATION.

YOU HAVE ONE WEEK TO POST AND UPDATE..

There are 3 ways to participate:
  • IP CREATOR

Post bi-weekly updates of ip you are developing.

Some Examples:
    • A 3d artist developing a line of Vinyl toys on ZBrush
    • A game developing working on a mobile game that uses Geo spatial data.
    • An Artist working to update his porfolio
    • A group of animators animator working on a weekly web series
  • But If you post your idea, please provide feedback on other's ideas.

• IP REVIEWER

Provide reviews and comments of the IP being developed.
  • I am looking for people like Roger Eberts of the world and not the Simon Cowels.DIVAS will NOT BE TOLERATED.

• IP MENTORSHIP
    An experienced artist/ develop can offer mentorship for the IP creators.
    Some examples:
    • An AAA game developer looking to help upcoming talent
    • Experienced feature animators could review game animations.
    • Writers can comment on story points
ANYONE CAN JOIN.

DEVELOPER CO-SPONSORS
My wife is a social worker and she suggested the idea that we use a SPONSOR model similar to AA. The idea is to match developers with individual sponsors. People whose responsability is to monito the progress of a specific project. The sponsors would be fellow developers. It would be their responsibility to provide support and provide guidance to the developer from an outsider's point of view. I'm not advocating "mentorship" where there usually is an imbalance of expertise/knowledge between two parties. Rather, I envision sponsorship to be a vehicle for peer support, for consultation between and among artists who each have valuable tools, experience, and knowledge to share. Sponsorship is method for both parties to learn and grow professionally and perhaps personally as well.

The C
oncept
:___________________________
Ok so lets recap:
The idea behind this IP incubator club is to provide a cool hangout place for IP creators. recap....
Weekly threads will be posted, to provide encouragement for developer to keep working on their idea.

On way to see this is to think of us as a spotter on your local gym.
You use your WIP thread to post your regular updates, But ONCE A WEEK you post on the IP INC thread a summary, based on the forsmat posted blow.

GENERAL RULES:
  • FOR GEN DISCUSSION of the IP CLUB CLICK HERE: Your Own IP?
  • WEEKLY WIP are encouraged
  • On your weekly post please Fill the following information (you can cut and paste it
CONCEPT NAME:

STILL IMAGE: (VOLUNTARY)

CATEGORY:

Art
Animation
Comics
Design
Fashion (3D Printing)
Film
Games
Merchandizing
Publishing
Technology
Toys
Web Comics
Video

PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
STATUS NUMBER: 1
TEAM MEMBERS:(Voluntary)
START DATE

ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE : (Voluntary) -
WIP THREAD:
WHAT WENT RIGHT THIS WEEK:
WHAT WENT WRONG:
SHOW AND TELL:

• WIP thread should be posted on the appropriate CGSociety/Game Art Sub forum and should follow the following naming convention: IP Incubator!:xxxxx:
  • Only participants who follow the rules and submit a weekly Entry entry will be eligible for a monthly spotlight ( A frontpage plug).
  • Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken off the thread.
  • When you are done creating your IP please do give at least a thank you to the IP. We need the press.

RESOURCES:
ART LAW RESOURCES:
--CLICK TO EXPAND--

MARKETPLACES:
--CLICK TO EXPAND--
Spoiler:

CONFERENCES:
--CLICK TO EXPAND--
Spoiler:

Digital Media:Gaming:Europe: Comics:
  • Comicon
  • SPX
Animation Festivals:
  • SIGGRAPH
  • Bradford Animation Festival
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 05 May 2013 at 09:26 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Ill be throwing up a screenshot here tomorrow (or two), and some cool new updates.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Ok the two hot topics as of Sunday Night:

Originally Posted by banman7: Hey ya'll just wanted to give you a little show and tell and update of my series

I am the Antagonist.

1st things first.

Name Change: The mixed media project is now officially called " I LOVE KAIJU"

Show and Tell: Here are some pictures of the stories characters

Here is a back to back of the 2

Please tell me what you think.

Working on storyboard and animatics soon.

Think of the story as a Fantasy style quest done by giant Kaiju's for their portion of the story.

Originally Posted by Rez007: Hi Guys,

In the meantime, while we are getting our gameplay footage together, some people also suggested that we should make our Teaser Trailer more visible. Today, I added our Teaser Trailer to YouTube and Vimeo. I think this will help in our visibilty rather than just having the Teaser only in our Facebook album.

https://vimeo.com/65319647

Gameplay Footage - Montage

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shML-DNUD48

Thanks,
Rudy

Blaster X HD: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blaster-x-hd/id615851024?ls=1&mt=8

www.facebook.com/2GMGames
www.twitter.com/2GMGames
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Quote: Hey banman7, what are you planning to do with these characters? Do you have a rough story you could tell us, even a few sentences would be great. Just trying to get an idea of what direction you are planning to go with these guys. Interesting character design, by the way.

To answer the question.

I'm doing a mixed media project with these guys.

I'm making an animated series. It will utilize mocap and facial capture work with a dash of keyframe and Endorphin, etc. Anything to get a good result faster.

The project will be broken down into 4 parts.
1) Paper print 2) Online animated gif 3) App 4) animated online series which will later be compiled and sold on DVD.

So as I render frames I have a partner who will go through best frames and put them into comic frames and do similiar to the gif or swf.

Something like this

The App might be later down the road. Have to figure out how that will work. Possibly based off the same frames as the comic but just more movement and inserted clips like below

[embed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N3XWffU1HQ[/embed]

This was something I had in mind for years. Ryan Woodward of greater talent beat me to it. :( but it proves my idea could work.

So the audience can pick their poison and I can reuse all the work in more than just one media.

The story of these 2 guys revolves around them actually going on a quest together along with a 3rd character soon to be shown. Each has a beef with a certain character in the story.

The Wheeled character was ripped in half by the Antagonist.
The Snail guy was framed and killed by the Antagonist.

So just imagine a quest with a couple of giant monsters vs your standard small characters.
I'm basically just having fun with these guys and their story.
Giant monsters, robots, aliens, other dimensions, super heroes, slice of normal life, and quantum time travel, etc.

Just wanted to have fun telling a story like when I was a kid.

I'm looking to get the characters modeled and rigged. I cannot do them justice.
Right now looking for Snail-o, Joe, Megan. Going to use a universal man and woman for other characters and as the series progresses build the library when I need new monsters and such.

I am working on my 2nd kickstarter and trying to save money for modelers. The props and stuff I have no problem modeling. It is character modeling that hits me hard. They look all messed up.

I was also thinking of simplifying the characters to make it easier for rendering. I love the work of Zac Gorman and really shows how simplicity can be beautiful.

Also I loved the work that David Oreiley did on Adventure time

My biggest mistake so far in production was buying a full fledge mocap system. Don't do it until you have assets. If I had spent my money on assets vs mocap system I would have been on my second series by now. It really hit me hard. But you live and learn. Don't put the cart before the horse and you don't need all this tech to get started.

I do want it to be a commercial product so need some level of quality so saving up for my modelers.
While I'm saving up, selling comic books, toys, and various other things around the house to find a modeler I'm doing storyboards and finishing script up.

I should have animatic up in two weeks of episode 1.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
http://www.stasisgame.com/screenshots-engineering-deck/

I know I've been quite lately, but rest assured I have been toiling away below decks. I recently finished a large chapter in the game, so wanted to show off an area (or 2). *The still screenshots don’t do these scenes justice…the shadows move as the lights swing, particles float through the air, and the sounds of the empty bowels of the ship echo through the engineering decks.
Its pretty darned cool!

WHAT WENT RIGHT THIS WEEK: I did a ton of cleanup. Small things, like having the character shift a single pixel when he bent down...the annoying things that irk me-but werent big enough to say "Dammit-lets fix it!"

Its going back to my new found philosophy of "Indies need to aim to be AAA". I want my games to be as slick, and polished as the best games out there-and that means that no mistake is small enough to be glossed over.

WHAT WENT WRONG THIS WEEK: I wasted too much time watching FUTURAMA reruns...but sometimes you just gotta relax.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
I have two video game IP's I've been chipping away at and lately I have realized the value of collaborating with someone who's skill set complements my own. I personally am more technically skilled than artist and have recently brought on a colleague of mine to help with the concept art and design. I've always been a "I'm going to do it all by myself" kind of person, so it was tough to give up that aspect of control, but the work he's been doing has been incredibly valuable to bring my project to reality.

I'm curious to all of you who have been posting, to what extent have you been getting outside assistance in order to create your IP's? What have been the benefits? Have you encountered any difficulties

Just thought this might be an interesting topic for discussion.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Quote: I'm curious to all of you who have been posting, to what extent have you been getting outside assistance in order to create your IP's? What have been the benefits? Have you encountered any difficulties

To be honest I've decided to go the lone wolf and/or hire folks for some of the other stuff.
Most folks will not collab outside of the other arts like music, acting or writing.

And even if they are willing to collab without money they usually cannot stay that long for the party.

The best I've gotten is very nice artists who are willing to work at reduced prices but then the challenge I have had with that is that they are only able to do 1 model tops before life catches up with them. Then I start all over because I have a model of totally different style.

So that has been the challenge. My own modeling ability for characters is not great so honestly I can't do it myself and I would do something like Poser but none of my characters are strictly human. Poser done right like Rosa.

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Here goes for this week's post. I'm a little busy these days but I'll make sure to check out and comment the other projects in the next couple days!

By the way, I changed the description of the project a little so that it's clearer as to what we intend to do with the film after it's completed and who is our intended audience.

CONCEPT NAME: Le Gouffre

PRODUCTION BLOG: http://legouffre.com/en

CATEGORY: Animation

PROJECT DESCRIPTION:

Le Gouffre is an 8-minute animated short film about two travellers who embark on the amazing journey of crossing an impossible gap.

My team members and I are currently working full-time on the film, without any financial backing, and we are trying to create a unique look that blends hand-painted textures with realistic animation. We plan to finish the film by the end of the year, spend the next year doing festivals, and later release it on the internet. I won't lie, we're not spending that much energy to get unnoticed, so the most awards we can grab the better (and if we can also get an oscar nomination, that'd be pretty freaking awesome). Since we're going for the largest audience, we made sure to focus our efforts on having a very good story first and foremost and try to have a good mix of actions vs emotions. So basically, let's say our intended audience is... everyone!

As for after the film, well honestly we're not quite sure ourselves. We have a lot of ideas we'd like to develop further, and we would like to work on our own series or feature films one day but for now, we're really just focusing on finishing this film. We'll go with the flow!

STATUS NUMBER: 3

TEAM MEMBERS: 3

Carl Beauchemin - Animation and Rigging
Thomas Chrétien - FX and Compositing
David Forest - Animation and Art Direction

START DATE: July 2011

ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE: December 2013

WIP THREAD: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=153&t=1085457

WHAT WENT RIGHT THIS WEEK:

I started working on some autumn shots and the matte paintings of the sky were really fun to do. I can't wait to see everything comped together.

WHAT WENT WRONG:

On the downside, I'm personally running a little late on my schedule this week. I'm supposed to have one day per week doing camera animation/high resing textures, but it's taken longer since I had to paint a lot of skies from scratch (as well as project every cloud on different planes so that I can get a little movement and parallax). I've done three shots like this so far and I'm getting faster at it, but there was somewhat of a learning curve. On top of that, Thomas is presently comping a very FX heavy shot so that's eating time he could have spent comping other shots.

SHOW AND TELL:

We have posted a new animated sequence on our production blog for you to see!

And exclusively for you CGTalk guys, here's a few pics showing scaled-down versions of the matte paintings I did in the last few days.

Old 05 May 2013   #9
I love your matte paintings. They feel so refreshing.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
@Frotze: Regrading Oscar Nominations, be sure you take a look at the rules. I think they have format requirements and require that your short film premieres at a festival accredited as an Oscar Animated Short Film qualifier. I believe SIGGRAPH is one of these events.

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Originally Posted by Pyke: Its going back to my new found philosophy of "Indies need to aim to be AAA". I want my games to be as slick, and polished as the best games out there-and that means that no mistake is small enough to be glossed over.

Amen to that, brother.

Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: I'm curious to all of you who have been posting, to what extent have you been getting outside assistance in order to create your IP's? What have been the benefits? Have you encountered any difficulties

Because of my Day Manager job, I departmentalize everything as far as it will go.

The benefits? Everybody on the team is smart and has ideas. A lot of them better than my own!

The difficulties? Realizing a lot of my own ideas were lousy and having to just swallow my pride and let some aspect I planned for months to just go into the trash so we can go with an idea one of the teammates came up with in 2 minutes.

Old 05 May 2013   #12
Originally Posted by Pyke: http://www.stasisgame.com/screenshots-engineering-deck/

Its going back to my new found philosophy of "Indies need to aim to be AAA". I want my games to be as slick, and polished as the best games out there-and that means that no mistake is small enough to be glossed over.

WHAT WENT WRONG THIS WEEK: I wasted too much time watching FUTURAMA reruns...but sometimes you just gotta relax.

I am pretty much the same way - a perfectionist at heart. I know what you mean by when you said you had to shift your character by one pixel. I do the same...zoom all the way in, close as possible sometimes, just to fix a pixel or two.

You game looks fantastic! I have been following it on here for a while. I am definitely going to buy it when it is available. Best of luck to you getting it completed - as that is the hardest thing for anyone who goes indie.

Old 05 May 2013   #13
Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: I have two video game IP's I've been chipping away at and lately I have realized the value of collaborating with someone who's skill set complements my own. I personally am more technically skilled than artist and have recently brought on a colleague of mine to help with the concept art and design. I've always been a "I'm going to do it all by myself" kind of person, so it was tough to give up that aspect of control, but the work he's been doing has been incredibly valuable to bring my project to reality.

I'm curious to all of you who have been posting, to what extent have you been getting outside assistance in order to create your IP's? What have been the benefits? Have you encountered any difficulties

Just thought this might be an interesting topic for discussion.

I have to say that it is very difficult to find someone that you feel matches/complements your skill set and/or work ethic. Communication and work ethic are almost the two most important aspects that I have encountered over the years. When you find someone you "gel" with so to say, try your best to make things work, as the grass is not always greener on the other side. By having to start again and find someone new to develop "trust" with is very difficult and time consuming.

As far as outside help, (it is just 2 of us) when we were looking for publishers before we decided to go it alone, that might be an avenue to seriously look at. Going Indie is fun, but trying to get noticed is very difficult. If you do find someone really good, like Chillingo for instance, I would seriously consider that....also be careful for the fly-bye night publishers who just look for a quick buck. You can find it out easily when you start to talk with them.

As for the work done on our game, Blaster X HD - everything was done in-house. Art, coding, sound, UI, everything. If you decide to out-source or higher someone, make sure you trust them with your work and ideas, that is key. Sometimes, you will find people who have good work ethics that would rather work for a portion of the game, rather than upfront money. Sometimes those people can work out best as there is a more long-term value for them. Just be careful how many people you get on board, it means that many more people to split the profits.

Old 05 May 2013   #14
@Frotze Looking great! I love the art style and I look forward to seeing more images in the future.

Old 05 May 2013   #15
Originally Posted by Rez007: I have to say that it is very difficult to find someone that you feel matches/complements your skill set and/or work ethic. Communication and work ethic are almost the two most important aspects that I have encountered over the years. When you find someone you "gel" with so to say, try your best to make things work, as the grass is not always greener on the other side...

I couldn't agree with you more on this. So for my projects, I have decided to do as much on my own as I can but after seriously starting to put effort into the project I realized there are two key areas where I am not very strong: concept art and audio.

Over the course of a year, I've hired probably 6 concept artists to do a few sketches of ideas as a means of testing how they work, how quickly they can produce and what their style is. Unfortunately, in every case I wasn't satisfied, especially considering what I paid was coming out of my own pocket.

However, I've been very lucky lately. I was chatting with an old friend of mine from University about my game projects, and he expressed interest in helping me do concept work because he's been dying to get on a project where he can focus his efforts on practicing art. So now I've got a concept artist I can trust, who does good work and isn't costing me anything (well, I'm going to share revenue with him when we're at that point, but zero out of pocket cost is what I need right now). So I'd say if any of you need to collaborate, be patient and don't commit to anyone until you've done a small amount of work together. Like Rez007 said, you have to find someone you can "gel" with.

Here's a sample of his concept work, I'll start posting about this project a bit later once I've got the pitch document more prepared, but it's about super hero strippers and this is one of the main characters:

Interesting to see everyone's opinions on this so far!

Thread Closed share thread