Old 05-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
Andrewty07
lifelong scholar of art

portfolio
Andrew Prewett
Animator
walnut creek, USA

Marvelous Books

Share your favorite books, must haves and those you are curious about.

I have always been a fan of collecting physical books for my library instead of digital content on the tablet. Most recently I picked up "The Art of Brave" and was blown away by the works featured inside as many were powerful artistic pieces as standalone. I was wondering what books other artist had, recommended and enjoyed.

As an animator it is fairly common knowledge that "The Animator's Survival Kit" by Richard Williams is a must have, I reference it very often and take time here and there to re-read portions that apply to current projects.

When I learned Zbrush I found great aid in Scott Spencer's books because he starts each one in artistic foundations before even touching on the software. He lightly touches on gesture and form, showing balance, symmetry and other key topics. After all this he also provides insight on anatomy to justify and explain why he sculpts in a certain manner.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Narntson
Expert

portfolio
Noah Arntson
Glendale, United%2BStates

I've been trying to get Stan Winston's "Winston Effect" book from my local library, and that damn sucker has been back ordered forever! Is it worth buying? I just have limited shelf space for a huge volume unless it's one worth going back to from time to time.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Andrewty07
lifelong scholar of art

portfolio
Andrew Prewett
Animator
walnut creek, USA

That looks like a good one, I have mainly been roaming for bargains online. I got lucky on ebay and found most of the ones I picked up lately for less than 10-15$ with shipping. Libraries would be a good option though I didn't know they carried many books in the "art of" category. When I looked up the Winston Effect it suggested an ILM book that looks really good as well, I really enjoy seeing the creative process where an artist or production is just "firing blind" tossing out dozens of ideas and exploring where to go with a design, character, location, etc.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

James Gurney's two instructional books, Imaginative Realism and Color and Light, are both amazing. They're more geared towards 2d artists, but there's more than enough in them to justify 3d artists buying them.

I'm also a big fan of all of National Geographic's photo books. They're a good way to break out of the creative echo chamber the world of CG can often turn into.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
ebbandflow
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Yea the Winston Effect book is amazing and worth the price. It's got stuff on Alien, Terminator, all 3 Jurassic Parks and even a Michael Jackson music video. It's also got that stuffed bear from A.I. As for Jurassic Park it shows how they made 2 T-Rexs for the lost world and the Spinosaurus for JP3. Best of all, I got the limited edition with a different cover and signed by Stan himself. Good luck finding that one though.

Also, I'd recommend the making of Star Wars book by Rinzler. Though I'm guessing that would be a no brainer for anyone interesting in FX. I only have the first one and have yet to get the making of the Empire Strikes Back.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
Andrewty07
lifelong scholar of art

portfolio
Andrew Prewett
Animator
walnut creek, USA

I will have to add the Winston book to my wish list hah sounds awesome. I have been recommended Color and Light by James Gurney quite a bit even regarding 3d actually Meloncov, my friend was encouraging me to get it to better understand how light works on form. I just looked it up a bit more and didn't realize he did Dinotopia which is even more awesome.

17 bucks is a pretty good deal, I will have to wait until after I move to order it just to make sure it ships to the right place though, his other books are online for $11(Imaginitive Realisim) and $17 Dinotopia art book after looking the page previews I really want all 3 eventually for sure!

Another artist's works I have been wanting to add to the library is Wayne Barlow, I read his book "God's Demon" and strongly recommend it, I originally discovered him through his concept art and was amazed that he has created an elaborate world both in the words of his book and incredible art matching it. I really hope someday he can produce a film and express his vision fully without being restricted by the "money man".

(just checked and God's Demon is on Ebay for $3.12 as buy it now (4 bucks shipping) and a listing at $0.99 starting bid (4 bucks shipping) I have found tons of bargains online as long as you don't mind maybe having a wrinkle or fold in the book here and there.

Last edited by Andrewty07 : 05-03-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
trevanian
Expert
Kevin H. Martin
freelance writer
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbandflow

Also, I'd recommend the making of Star Wars book by Rinzler. Though I'm guessing that would be a no brainer for anyone interesting in FX. I only have the first one and have yet to get the making of the Empire Strikes Back.

I've only got the first one, and while there was some new stuff of interest, there were some startling omissions (nothing about ILM being closed for a short span in August 1976 when Fox was apparently considering trashing the already-shot movie and/or replacing Dykstra) and a lot of little errors of names and spelling and little tech stuff that this guy should have known, given his intimate longterm association with the LucasFolk.

He also doesn't seen to respond to or acknowledge his errors being pointed out, which is one reason why I'm not about to spend any more money on other volumes unless I get them used for five bucks. That's what I'd expect from a hack, not a journalist chronicling major pics for serious posterity.

For the record, the late Adam Beckett discusssed the ILM almost got folded business in the big CINEFANTASTIQUE double issue on SW written by Paul Mandell, while Jon Erland discussed the same with me for the CINEFEX SW retrospective coverage. I don't think all of Erland's comments made it into the final cut (nearly half of the article was dropped to make room for an ILM chronology), but there is mention in it, plus more in my piece on the same matter for HOTDOG magazine.

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Old 05-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
What a great thread!

All the Ballistic books. There isn't a bad one between them

Old 05-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
wildjj
Frequenter
portfolio
James Wayne
Quebec, Canada

Excellent thread indeed. I have some of Scott Spencer's books and like to read back occasionally.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Yeah, thread worth keeping up
I haven't bought CG specific books in years, got to a certain point in the curve with software to not need them a while ago.

I do keep Rossano's Softimage|3D books around for sentimental value though (bought it in 97 I think), and I've piled up considerable stashes of programming, maths and various design subjects over the years though.

Birn's lighting books are always good, and the original back then was such a white fly...

I would strongly recommend, even to the less technically inclined, mathematics for computer graphics 2nd edition (or Mathematics for Computer Graphics, Fast, the first edition was called) by Vince, THE most unassuming yet not insultingly stupid small book on the subject, peddled it to dozens of people between alumni, colleagues, friends and random people and never heard anybody complaining.

Graphic Gems in all its incarnations, most of them free these days, don't even need recommending as they are practically an institution.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 05-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
SciFibrow
X-38 Sundagger

portfolio
Peter Blight
Concept Artist
Global freelancer
Melbourne, Australia

"Awakening: The Art of Halo 4" is my latest. Sadly my Xbox360 died (second incarnation) the other day so I couldn't finish the actual game but there is some consolation in the art book being packed full of Sparth's very best concepts along with other great artists.

Design Studio Press has some design training books coming out soon by Scott Robertson, they should be excellent. Next month we'll be seeing Daniel Simon's next book too, The Timeless Racer.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Michael32766
Frequenter
mash
hey can you fix this?
Digital Migrant Worker, Mongolia

Out of print, expensive, hard to get and totally worth it.

The Invisible art: the legends of Movie matte painting
http://www.amazon.com/The-Invisible...g/dp/081184515X

Old 05-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
Yeah, thread worth keeping up
I haven't bought CG specific books in years, got to a certain point in the curve with software to not need them a while ago.

You're absolutely right. I used to go to Barnes & Noble every few weeks to pick up a new CG book. I haven't been there in many years now.

In part, it's because I've outgrown the need for them. In part, it's also because I realize that some of them become dated far too quickly. In equal part, it's because DVD and streaming training has surpassed books in terms of quality and relevance. I'll order the odd CG book on Amazon once in a while, but I think that I've only bought maybe 2 in the past 8 years.

Once you know the tools, you'll probably find an even greater desire for more traditional art books. IMO, you can never have enough good anatomy books, material swatches, or photo/video references. Those will long outlast any of your books or training vids.

Of the books, consistently making my favorites list are....

They might be old, but I still think that they're relevant. "Art of" coffee table books tend to be good too.

Quote:
Graphic Gems in all its incarnations, most of them free these days, don't even need recommending as they are practically an institution.

I remember paying a crapload for those things in hardcover. Those and the Game Programming Gems.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Apart from the animation ones already mentioned, here are a few I really enjoy and learned a lot from.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 05-04-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #15
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horganovski
Heh. can't figure out how you guys are getting the thumbnails to show up

If you're in Chrome, it's a simple matter of RMB on the image, clicking "Copy image URL", and then pasting that URL into a [img] tag here.

Thread Closed share thread