Walking With Dinosaurs, the movie

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Walking With Dinosaurs, the movie

http://io9.com/walking-with-dinosau...nning-486248262

Two years of my life from pitch to wrapping characters right there...

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Definitely be watching this one, I'm a sucker for Dinosaurs.
Minor gripe, I thought grass hadn't evolved yet? Could be wrong though.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
The backgrounds were almost all shot (double Epic, actual stereo shoots), so while they went through an impossible amount of pain to find plausible locations, a lot of them were out in the wild, or in national parks, which meant no option to groom the sets (blast away grass and so on).

There will be a handful of plants that don't belong, but it was a constraint that couldn't be worked around. It was considered, but rangers apparently don't take well to the crew stripping the ground in a national park bare

Old 05 May 2013   #4
I am not worried about grass-I am worried about talking dinosaurs(havent seen the trailer yet).

Old 05 May 2013   #5
I'll see this, the work looks great - but the Walking With Dinosaurs brand is not this! The show was a bit contrived and anthropomorphised but no more than your average nature documentary, but this looks horrible.
What a missed opportunity to make it something more than another "Disney" movie! Once again dinosaurs are for kids. Not helped by the "In a world..." narrator. Yeesh. But I guess it has to put bums on seats.

Still, nice CG, and I'll still watch it.

That's old news Clanger, they found grass in dino poop.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Looks really well done, congratulations!
Yes the premise seems pretty cheeze-tastic but I'd still watch it

Cheers,
Brian

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Looks phenomenal, but I can't say I like the way the dinosaurs seem to look at each other, they seem almost domesticated, doesn't feel like I'm watching wild dinosaurs at all, it just feels like an updated version of Disney's 'Dinosaur'. And yeah, with the 'Walking with..' title I was expecting a more documentary feel to it.

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Trailer's been Disneyfied a bit through accurate selection of shots. The movie has its fair share of animalistic and brutal moments (don't know if the gore made it, probably not ).

But yeah, we would all have loved reptilian eyelines (head sideways and still/twitchy all the time), but it makes it almost impossible to read scenes, and I'm not talking about just this movie.
You're left constantly wondering WTH is going on following the creatures noses instinctually when the action was on the opposite corner of the screen.

The sense of antropomorphization you get is 99% that.

It's good when you have animalistic shots and want a frightening creature briefly (Raptor animatronic in the 3rd JP in the eggs scene is hella disquieting without doing anything thanks to that, it creates that alien feeling of knowing you're not looking at a human) but a few shots in a row of it and it becomes extremely confusing.

It's funny, but it seems we generally suck at reading non-human eyelines as a species. Had the same problem with Sucker Punch's dragon, it constantly made the beast look stupid and we ended up straghtening its vision considerably.

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Wow that is visually stunning. I seen all the BBC dinosaur series and they were good, but visually the movie trailer is much better.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Great CG, but yes, the grass thing and especially the dinosaur facial expression ( eyes, nose etc. ) is always annoying. Ok, this is a whole family movie. But don`t take the "Walking with.." brand, so true!
After all, we suppose to have reptiles, birds and thus also dinosaurs to have absolutely nothing going on in their face, its just devoid of any sort of emotion.

Last edited by sciLoop : 05 May 2013 at 04:22 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Ooh, I've been waiting for this one for a while. It looks like fun!

Old 05 May 2013   #12
I can see the problem and I'll forget about it 5mins in anyway, the most important part is the quality of the Dinosaurs and there's no complaint there.
Minor gripe No.2, it's 7 months away! How am I going to wait that long?

Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: The backgrounds were almost all shot (double Epic, actual stereo shoots), so while they went through an impossible amount of pain to find plausible locations, a lot of them were out in the wild, or in national parks, which meant no option to groom the sets (blast away grass and so on).

There will be a handful of plants that don't belong, but it was a constraint that couldn't be worked around. It was considered, but rangers apparently don't take well to the crew stripping the ground in a national park bare

Old 05 May 2013   #13
It doesn't feel that Christmasy Jaco...Whats-up wid-dat?!

Actually I am sure my son will wanna see this it it isn't too PG.
Not sure about using the BBC title either. It seems like they should have worked harder for a unique title-especially since its story driven.

Old 05 May 2013   #14
Cool! Looks fantastic! Glad I watched it without sound the first time. Is that the same voice over that was used on Tropic Thunder?

Old 05 May 2013   #15
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: http://io9.com/walking-with-dinosau...nning-486248262

Two years of my life from pitch to wrapping characters right there...

The 3D is enough to make me head out of town to the IMAX.

Did you have 3D in mind when doing this? Or was it an after thought? What kind of balance between what some call "gimmicky" (or what I call the fun into your lap) and just depth added to 2D did you strive for and achieve?

Thread Closed share thread