2D Choice Gallery?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
2D Choice Gallery?

Just was wondering why the last image that was accepted in the Cg Choice 2D Gallery is over a year old?

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Perhaps the majority of submissions are 3D?

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Maybe. But I have seen submission in the 2d that have more then a few comments on how great the image is. To the level that it deserves the reconnection.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Originally Posted by Dillster: Perhaps the majority of submissions are 3D?

This is sadly true. The 3D submissions massively outnumber the 2D ones. Furthermore, the 2D gallery doesn't get as many people visiting, and since the automated initial requirements for appearing on the panel for CG Choice voting include view counts plus ratings from users, we kinda need people to actually vote for images they like in the gallery for them to become an option for an award.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Kind of a sign on where digital visuals are going. Sigh…. It does make sense. I know if I were just starting out I would immerse myself in all things 3d.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Originally Posted by rownd: Kind of a sign on where digital visuals are going. Sigh….

Goodness I hope not!

There are sites where this is not the case: conceptart.org's 2d content far outweighs 3d.

Old 04 April 2013   #7
or how about cghub. Tons of 2d on there.

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Yes thats true. Both places don't have the amount of views as this place.

Example: I have about 60,000 hits here and on CGhub I have about 500.

Last edited by rownd : 04 April 2013 at 07:38 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Originally Posted by leigh: This is sadly true. The 3D submissions massively outnumber the 2D ones. ....

This has me confused. I see artwork updated almost daily in the 2D section, but sometime the 3D section goes for days without new artwork. Do you mean to say that more 3D art is submitted and rejected than 2D art?

Originally Posted by rownd: Kind of a sign on where digital visuals are going. Sigh…. It does make sense. I know if I were just starting out I would immerse myself in all things 3d.

I am of exactly the opposite belief. Many people can learn 3D tools and produce something, but the best working artists I know are solid 2D artists first. The skill of being a visual artist is in the command of form, line, value, light, and color, not the software they use. I wish I would have spent more time on my 2D skills rather than 3D back in my formative days. It definitely would have made me a better 3D artist, but I don't think the inverse would be true.

The reality of the visual arts business these days seems to be you have to learn both, which is not a bad thing. It just means you have to work that much harder. It's funny, I have seen so many amazing 2D artists moaning about their lack of 3D skills, but I then I see a gorgeously detailed and amazing bookcover or some such piece of commercial artwork that they knocked out in a day and I wish I could do that.

Old 04 April 2013   #10
I agree about the talent. The first thing I do when I visit a 3d artists site is go to there 2d art ( if they posted any). Most of the time the 2d is lacking. Sometimes it's the other way around. Being in marketing I know this, realistic is a safe go to. People for the most part tend to be more accepting of it. That is 3ds strength.

Last edited by rownd : 04 April 2013 at 08:03 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #11
Originally Posted by rownd: I agree about the talent. The first thing I do when I visit a 3d artists site is go to there 2d art ( if they posted any). Most of the time the 2d is lacking. Sometimes it's the other way around. Being in marketing I know this, realistic is a safe go to. People for the most part tend to be more accepting of it. That is 3ds strength.

Couldn't agree more, especially bold text.

Old 04 April 2013   #12
Quote: This is sadly true. The 3D submissions massively outnumber the 2D ones. Furthermore, the 2D gallery doesn't get as many people visiting, and since the automated initial requirements for appearing on the panel for CG Choice voting include view counts plus ratings from users, we kinda need people to actually vote for images they like in the gallery for them to become an option for an award.

..the algorithm rules above the mods? When art was submitted to the site it was judged by the moderators so why not continue that with the awards? People might on occasion complain about it but at least its consistent. That algorithm might have made sense in 2004.

Maybe the site could be a bit more adaptable to the changing landscape? I mean in early-mid 2000's there was barely any art forums, personal sites/blogs were in their infancy and there was no Facebook.

Submitting work to this forum years ago, getting in the gallery was an achievement but trying for that award was something to aim for, and if you did good stuff people would get it.

Clearly in the space of a year there has been work at the required level - (if anything 2D people have massively levelled up) not recognising good work being submitted because the site is stuck in a 2005 time-warp is only going to alienate the visitors, reduce submittals further and compound the effect.

3D is pretty safe here because of the excellent sub forums, lots of people also come to visit for technical support, which to this day are still some of the best threads around. Those visitors are obviously going to be checking the 3D work out!

Last edited by conbom : 04 April 2013 at 09:32 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #13
The "algorithm" doesn't elect pieces for us, but we get a selection of pieces to vote on screened by it.

There is simply too much work submitted for us to go through every single piece and have enough votes against it to award it or not if we were to do it on every single submitted piece with no screening process whatsoever, much like we can't literally check every single post of every single thread and have to rely on people reporting posts if they slip by us and are inappropriate.

For 2D there's a lack of pressure behind it pushing enough work towards the award que.

The whole system IS being revamped anyway, in tandem with other things changing, and a few more things, but it's a big job and not complete yet AFAIK, so in the meantime we make do with what we have, but if the userbase doesn't provide that first meta-moderation of content, we don't have the man power to comb over all the content in this website when there are hundreds of thousands of ACTIVE members and we already have to take care of quite a few other things

Old 04 April 2013   #14
The 2D stuff that makes it into the gallery here is mostly not professional quality (I don't blame the mods for letting it through ... if they didn't, 2D would really be dead here).

CGTalk simply isn't a big hub for great 2D artists the way a site like ConceptArt.org is (and Sijun was, a decade ago).

Old 04 April 2013   #15
Originally Posted by balistic: The 2D stuff that makes it into the gallery here is mostly not professional quality (I don't blame the mods for letting it through ... if they didn't, 2D would really be dead here).

CGTalk simply isn't a big hub for great 2D artists the way a site like ConceptArt.org is (and Sijun was, a decade ago).

Hey Brian, long time no talk.

This is something I've been trying to change for years now. I have tried numerous approaches (starting the Art Techniques & Theories subforum, giving critiques in the WIP 2D forum, bringing in good 2D artists to be Forum Leaders, teaching workshops, as well as constantly promote/explain why a solid foundation as a 2D artist is important even for 3D artists looking to become better visual artists in general), but I think 3D is ingrained in the DNA of CGSociety so much that it'll be hard to alter it. I'm not going to give up though--as long as I'm still a contributing member here, I'll continue the quest.

If you have any suggestions/ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thread Closed share thread